Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
that1guy, why are we sovereign? Do you have a clue? You try to use figures on CEOs and Corporate America to justify amnesty and higher spending on illegals? It may have won ONE election, but telling people, "we will make the evil rich pay for it all!" wont always work.

You have basically told us that when we are being raped and beaten that the the only way to help is to not fight back, but rather to hike up our collective skirts, grab our ankles, and say give me more? I guess maybe that way we will just be raped and NOT beaten also?

I think I choose to fight. Build the wall, repeal the immigration acts of 1965, reset national quotas, limits ALL social program to natives only. That would be money very well spent.
No I'm saying that we are putting our collective efforts in the wrong direction. Reports of how "illegal immigrants made this crisis" and "illegal immigrant crime waves" and "the introduction of third world criminality in calm suburbs" (all topics and issues that have been expressed by many on this board) are created to be divisive. They are created to enable those in power to continue. Think about the civil rights movement. Poor whites were against poor blacks on an arbritrary issue. What happened was that those in power benefited by creating an underclass. This undermined the poor Whites wages. Look, united we stand...divided we fall.

I'm simply stating that there could be better uses for our money. I did mention means to control illegal immigration. With that said, there should be a priority towards putting money towards the poor. This debate is essentially hurting poor Americans, poor illegals, and the middle class. The rich benefit.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
First off, did I mention paying more taxes? There might be a slight increase...but if we do eliminate the Bush tax breaks, go after off shore accounts, have responsible fiscal accountability, increase taxes for the top 1% (those making 500k or more), finally end the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, then we should put an emphasis on schools, roads, and hospitals.

We spend 5.7% of our GDP on education (37th in the world), 15% GDP on healthcare (1 in the world...except with the Marshall Islands, but they are associated with the US). We spend the by and far the most out of any country on our military (44% of the world's total military spending comes from US). We can cut the waste in healthcare, decrease the military spending and place it in education. Also, we can use a resource that the corporate world uses as "free" labor...college interns. College interns teaching English for credit, being substitute teachers for credit, being after school coordinators for credit. That would not only boost our educational system, but also save A LOT of money.

The middle class is shrinking because of a lack of interest in social reform. I'm not talking about a communist revolution or anything remotely close, but rather simple, basic things. Healthcare, education, and blue collar jobs. These things are the things that made America great. These are the same things that are being taken away. Not because of illegal immigrants, no. But rather because of mismanagement, corruption, and wars that have drained our coffers.

1AngeryTaxPayer...think about it this way, it costs more money to NOT educate those already here, than it does TO educate those that are here (specifically the children). If the children attain the average education of a CA resident, they are less likely to be on any social services. Thus, the benefits outweigh the costs.

With that said, I don't know how we can easily, cheaply, and fairly regulate immigration. We could have an easier method of sponsorship, faster visa turn around, faster citizenship turn around, more cooperation with Mexico concerning this issue (since they contribute 56% of all illegal immigrants). Conversely, extreme fines and penalties of companies that hire illegals (and they could recoup some penalties if they do enroll in the proper channels and also do some community service deeds, a thought?).
The one thing you failed to touch upon is that if your 'system' was put in to place the draw to come here would be even greater. 330 million people is far too many imo. With your 'system' there eventually will be more people in the lower class due to the raging torrent of poor stampeding in to "better their lives", on the backs of me, my children and my children's children. I haven't hired them or invited them and only a few benefit from them.

I'm sorry but I can't sit idle bye and watch that happen.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Middle Class Americans are displacing themselves. They moved due to the high cost of living...which was caused by easy credit, speculation, and low interest rates. Construction is still a skilled-labor industry. The average construction worker makes about 40k a year. Growing up in the IE, that's the largest industry...an I can attest to the fact that most jobs were making about 40k (some higher, some slightly lower). About half of my parent's neighborhood was employed in construction and auxiliary occupations (painter, plumber, electrician, etc). Again, the average family in CA makes between 60-70K a year.

However, it is at the lower end of the construction jobs that wage depression occurs.

It is a direct result of lack of funding to poor school districts. It is a direct result of a severe lack of affordable housing units...it is a direct result of lack of money management. See, the way I see it, illegal immigration is not the problem, but rather our priorities.

Studies have shown that mixed income neighborhoods will produce better schools. Yet, in CA...we are seperating ourselves and resources are being polarized. Why? A good portion is due to the attitude expressed in the OP. Hispanics this, gangs that, Blacks this, poor people that. Our distribution of resources are actually diminishing as well. A recent study showed how in the US, the top .5% are significantly more richer than the top 1% (the gap increased at the high end). The average CEO in the 1970s made 4 to 5 times more than the average worker...now it significantly more (10 I believe...I'd have to double check the numbers).

During times of high immigration, we should put resources in investing in our poor. This includes illegal immigrants. But, those in charge (and with money) create a group of people to wave flags and not see that systematically your dollars are lining their pockets. Instead of fighting for fair wages for all, you fight for a wall. Instead of fighting for more education spending, you fight for deportation. Instead for fighting for things that will benefit not only illegal immigrants, but also middle class Americans, you fight to segregate. This creates a means to hire cheap labor. Illegal immigrants then work outside of the system. Because you don't want them in the system. Then you complain when they do work outside of the system. They are already here...let's do something to integrate them. That will protect our assets and theirs as well.
You are either living in a fantasy world, or you are simply disingenuous. Tell me, who can support a family TODAY, with a $40,000 gross pay? Of course, if you are single and don’t pay taxes or don’t have children, you could survive. Even the illegal alien construction workers are forced to live 15 to a 1-bedroom apartment to make ends meet. If they are earning so much, why are they so poor?

Also, please be sure to tell all of the U.S. construction workers nationwide how much illegal immigration hasn’t ruined their livelihood. While you’re at it, also make sure to tell all of the ‘legitimate’ construction contractors who lost their businesses because they couldn’t compete against unscrupulous companies employing illegal aliens.

Clearly, you will defend illegal immigration no matter how much damage it does to this country. You have no genuine desire to discuss illegal immigration. You have a pro-illegal/open borders agenda, and you will defend it by any means necessary.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are either living in a fantasy world, or you are simply disingenuous. Tell me, who can support a family TODAY, with a $40,000 gross pay? Of course, if you are single and don’t pay taxes or don’t have children, you could survive. Even the illegal alien construction workers are forced to live 15 to a 1-bedroom apartment to make ends meet. If they are earning so much, why are they so poor?

Also, please be sure to tell all of the U.S. construction workers nationwide how much illegal immigration hasn’t ruined their livelihood. While you’re at it, also make sure to tell all of the ‘legitimate’ construction contractors who lost their businesses because they couldn’t compete against unscrupulous companies employing illegal aliens.

Clearly, you will defend illegal immigration no matter how much damage it does to this country. You have no genuine desire to discuss illegal immigration. You have a pro-illegal/open borders agenda, and you will defend it by any means necessary.

. . . . .and that ladies and gentlemen is the truth in a nutshell. Preach on sista, preach on.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:07 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
[/b]

. . . . .and that ladies and gentlemen is the truth in a nutshell. Preach on sista, preach on.
I second that.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

And agriculture, jobs like janitors, lawn care, cement work, meat packing etc.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times
Quote:
No I'm saying that we are putting our collective efforts in the wrong direction. Reports of how "illegal immigrants made this crisis" and "illegal immigrant crime waves" and "the introduction of third world criminality in calm suburbs" (all topics and issues that have been expressed by many on this board) are created to be divisive. They are created to enable those in power to continue. Think about the civil rights movement. Poor whites were against poor blacks on an arbritrary issue. What happened was that those in power benefited by creating an underclass. This undermined the poor Whites wages. Look, united we stand...divided we fall.

I'm simply stating that there could be better uses for our money. I did mention means to control illegal immigration. With that said, there should be a priority towards putting money towards the poor. This debate is essentially hurting poor Americans, poor illegals, and the middle class. The rich benefit.
HA! Illegal Mexican immigration= The civil rights movement of the 60s? The arguments of the civil rights movements where totally different from this. This is an ILLEGAL group of people competing with native people. It was not created by the rich, it was created by the lax immigration laws and the influx of ILLEGAL MEXICANS and other latinos that came here and drove labor costs down.
The fact that you try and relate the struggle of blacks, who where brought here against their will, trying to fight for equal rights, to a group of undereducated, low skilled, leaches who INVADED a sovereign nation, for their own personal gain and the gain of their HOME COUNTRY, at the expense of ours, is laughable. Not even close to the same thing.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The one thing you failed to touch upon is that if your 'system' was put in to place the draw to come here would be even greater. 330 million people is far too many imo. With your 'system' there eventually will be more people in the lower class due to the raging torrent of poor stampeding in to "better their lives", on the backs of me, my children and my children's children. I haven't hired them or invited them and only a few benefit from them.

I'm sorry but I can't sit idle bye and watch that happen.
Compared to Europe, we have really low densities of people. In CA, we can create more sustainable communities (smaller homes, more walkable areas, jobs closer to homes, an improvement on the hub and spoke style of development here in California (where there are multiple downtown regions surrounded by residental regions)).

You completely fail to mention the fact that by 2nd or 3rd generation many are a part of the middle class, thus the middle class grows. This argument was negated in the early 1900s when people stated that the nation will become a nation of poor immigrants. What happened was that the children of said immigrants became the backbone of the middle class.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
HA! Illegal Mexican immigration= The civil rights movement of the 60s? The arguments of the civil rights movements where totally different from this. This is an ILLEGAL group of people competing with native people. It was not created by the rich, it was created by the lax immigration laws and the influx of ILLEGAL MEXICANS and other latinos that came here and drove labor costs down.
The fact that you try and relate the struggle of blacks, who where brought here against their will, trying to fight for equal rights, to a group of undereducated, low skilled, leaches who INVADED a sovereign nation, for their own personal gain and the gain of their HOME COUNTRY, at the expense of ours, is laughable. Not even close to the same thing.
Who controls the laws? Who controls hiring? Who controls the economy? Access to equal opportunities is at the crux of both civil rights...hence the term "civil rights".

Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Construction JOB (singular). Meaning that the wife may have to work...
Again, sob stories are not going to work...I know A HELL of a lot of people in construction. And I'll tell you what, they blame the crisis more than illegals. Lower end jobs are at risk...(those that do framing are more at risk than those that are more skilled...and those are the jobs that illegal immigrants typically take, the lower end jobs).

Clearly you have not read any suggestions that I've made that would be decrease illegal immigration (going after employers). Me not wanting to talk, look in a mirror...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration