Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Like I said, this doesn't make sense. Typically the only way they are coming back or staying to "legalize" is being married to a U.S. citizen, many times with a three year or ten year ban. Put in that native environment (my friend "Emi" states that Ray isn't learning English in Juarez) they can't assimilate as well. Are you saying that you are open to any former illegal alien returning? Many of your colleagues here said as much, then object to the notion when questioned further.

It wasn't a mass oath (nor for naturalization, my wife has been eligible for that over three years, which is disconcerting to some here), and if the busiest U.S. Consulate in the world (Ciudad Juarez) conducts them, it isn't a matter of numbers or nationalities. At Ciudad Juarez they try to deliberately exclude the U.S. citizen spouse/fiance(e), I got access using my military ID, and was able to sit with my family when their IVs were issued, and we all took the oath in English.

Which was interesting with an eight-year old, that had started school in the United States (under her K-4 visa) only a semester before. But back to the point (and topic), we don't typically screen immigrants for English use, it sounds like it was more of a matter that the interviewer didn't believe your relationship (which happens quite a bit to white guys and gals finding a spouse in a "brown" country). It isn't about the intending immigrant being able to carry a marriage, as the K-3 interview with my wife focused much more on the ex-husband she hadn't seen in more than six years, rather than me.
I missed the bold on the first reply. No I am not open to illegals getting a free pass for their previous crimes, or a head of line pass for that matter. I expect them to have to go through the system the same way legals have to do. That means returing to nation of origin, applying at a US consulate, pass a background check, including past violations in the USA, then waiting for an approval. During this period and throughout the interview phase be able to communicate in English, just like my wife had to do.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I missed the bold on the first reply. No I am not open to illegals getting a free pass for their previous crimes, or a head of line pass for that matter. I expect them to have to go through the system the same way legals have to do. That means returing to nation of origin, applying at a US consulate, pass a background check, including past violations in the USA, then waiting for an approval. During this period and throughout the interview phase be able to communicate in English, just like my wife had to do.
That's how I feel about it also, tinman.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
It's the official language after all.
In reality what is happening is the shift to bilingual immersion education.
California is doing it mostly in K-8 with a few high schools participating.

All kids are put into a class and taught in 2 languages.
The Spanish speakers learn English while the English speakers learn Spanish.

Now once this catches on outside of California more and more English speaking students will learn Spanish.
And the future is how the US will turn bilingual because it will be taught to all students in schools.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,727,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Now once this catches on outside of California more and more English speaking students will learn Spanish.
And the future is how the US will turn bilingual because it will be taught to all students in schools.
I support bilingual education as long as one of the languages is English. English-Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi...The more languages our young people learn, the better off they'll be in the globalized economy.

I'd even support bilingual education with two languages other than English only if the student can prove he/she has already mastered the English Language.

It's possible to have the best of both worlds. English can be the national language, but we should also push our kids to learn and master others.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
If you are in favor of a police state, yeah, go ahead and force everyone to speak English--would you like a specific dialect as well?--and wipe their butts with their right hand.

If you are not in favor of a police state, no.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I support bilingual education as long as one of the languages is English. English-Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi...The more languages our young people learn, the better off they'll be in the globalized economy.

I'd even support bilingual education with two languages other than English only if the student can prove he/she has already mastered the English Language.

It's possible to have the best of both worlds. English can be the national language, but we should also push our kids to learn and master others.
I believe in choice of bilingual for US citizens and permanent residents. I don't care who speaks what language between themselves. I do believe that all immigrants should be required to be able to communicate in English. WE shouldn't be catering to them, legal or otherwise.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly.

And she was required to jump through hoops -- while those from certain countries can expect big rewards for breaking the laws and their welfare handouts be provided them in Spanish.
That's my problem with the welfare system. To me it's different like in Tinman's situation where his wife came here and was expected to learn English. However many immigrants don't know English and instead of making it rougher for them we cater. The welfare system is to the point where in Illinois and many other states it's regardless of immigration AND case workers are expected to be fluent in Spanish. Why are we giving money to people who don't know the language and in many cases shouldn't be here?

The whole immigration (legal and especially illegal)needs to be revamped. We can't import unskilled people because most will need assistance. Many are from Spanish speaking countries but not all. Instead it should be people who will make the society better, such as business owners who will open businesses and employ people. The reality is many (if not most)of those coming to the USA are a drain on society. The educated people from the other countries are staying there for the most part. We are getting the illiterates who don't have the capacity to learn English because they barely know their language. We already have our own uneducated Americans we don't need more uneducated from other countries who tend to be illegals.

Can't speak English? then don't come here, end of story.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post

Uh; there ain't much "need" to know any language except English in the US. Too; word is that immigration from LatAm has all but stopped so those aliens here WILL learn English or their kids will. Even illegal aliens and their anchor kids. What I'm trying to say there NO reason to force Spanish, Gaelic and so down peoples throats here.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

I wasn't aware that Calif. is now forcing students to learn Spanish. Yet the title of this topic is about forcing Hispanics to learn English aka our national de facto language? The official language of Calif. is English. I don't wish to see us turn into a bi-lingual country so I vehemently object to what Calif. is doing and I hope it doesn't spread throughout our nation.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If you are in favor of a police state, yeah, go ahead and force everyone to speak English--would you like a specific dialect as well?--and wipe their butts with their right hand.

If you are not in favor of a police state, no.
Yet --- where is your concern for the taxpayers who are being forced to support massive immigration where the immigrants cannot learn or adapt and so must exist on tons of government handouts?

Just stop catering to those coming here unwilling to learn the language. Stop having welfare social workers have to give them their food stamps and Medicaid in Spanish. Stop printing election ballots and providing them taxpayer-paid translators. Let them hire their translators themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration