Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 PM

34 posts, read 137,484 times

Advertisements

I just want them to put restrooms in at the Canal... A nice restaurant would be great, but I want restrooms first. You can only spend so much time down there before its time to find one... Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott326 View Post
I just want them to put restrooms in at the Canal... A nice restaurant would be great, but I want restrooms first. You can only spend so much time down there before its time to find one... Just my opinion

I have noticed that before to. They need to put in restrooms. Dont they already have some restuarants or snack bars along the canal?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Dont they already have some restuarants or snack bars along the canal?
There a couple near the canal; but compared to San Antonio or Oklahoma City; it is very underdeveloped.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
There a couple near the canal; but compared to San Antonio or Oklahoma City; it is very underdeveloped.

that is what I thought. I would like to see the Canal become part of a greenway system. That would be neat.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM

According to the Rails to Trails Page Indianapolis has several greenway projects that are underway or are already complete.

NRHT - Indy / Marion County

Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM

45 posts, read 111,782 times
IMO, Indy needs a major University. It is the only large metro area in this country without a major university. Yes it has Butler, U of I, and IUPUI, but none of these schools are major universities. IU and Purdue keep IUPUI small so that they can remain the major players in the state. I think the only reason the put IUPUI in Indy was to satisfy some politician or to make it look like Indy had a major university.

Like some of the other posts, I agree with more independent restaurants. I think Indy needs a better public school system (IPS), but that seems to be the case with all large metro area inner city schools.

A major league baseball or hockey team would also be nice. The Indians and Ice are nice to watch, but Indy has kind of lost the designation of "the sports capital" that it once had.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risikio View Post
IMO, Indy needs a major University. It is the only large metro area in this country without a major university. Yes it has Butler, U of I, and IUPUI, but none of these schools are major universities. IU and Purdue keep IUPUI small so that they can remain the major players in the state. I think the only reason the put IUPUI in Indy was to satisfy some politician or to make it look like Indy had a major university.
IUPUI is here because Indianapolis was inspired by the formation of IPFW. IU and Purdue had campuses in Indy prior to IUPUI; but after Fort Wayne got IPFW, Indy wanted the same thing. While not a major university, IUPUI does have an enrollment of around 30,000; nothing to scoff at.

As an aside; I really hope that IUPUI is able to work out their deal with Conseco Fieldhouse and move their home games to Conseco Fieldhouse. That would work wonders for that program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risikio View Post
A major league baseball or hockey team would also be nice. The Indians and Ice are nice to watch, but Indy has kind of lost the designation of "the sports capital" that it once had.
As a mini-season ticket holder of the Indianapolis Indians, I can say with complete certainty this city could not support an MLB team. There are nights when the Indians only draw 3000 fans. No MLB team/ownership group is going to look at this market, with that attendence for AAA ball, and want to plant an MLB team.

Now, I would LOVE to bring the NHL here. I would be first in line to pledge to buy season tickets if an NHL team was hoping to move here. The reality is, there is no where in Indianapolis an NHL team can play. They would have to either build a new arena or spend millions of dollars to re-configure Conseco Fieldhouse; I would say there is a 0% chance of that happening in the next 20 years.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-29-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM

45 posts, read 111,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
IUPUI is here because Indianapolis was inspired by the formation of IPFW. IU and Purdue had campuses in Indy prior to IUPUI; but after Fort Wayne got IPFW, Indy wanted the same thing. While not a major university, IUPUI does have an enrollment of around 30,000; nothing to scoff at.
I did not realize that enrollment at IUPUI was that high.

Still, it's not the same as an IU or a Purdue. Indy needs a Division 1 school both academic and athletic. That would really bring a lot of money into the city from in terms of research and the revenue from the additional sporting events.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
Butler is Div. 1 ...

Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,545,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Butler is Div. 1 ...
Yes, athletically AND academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis