Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I agree with you about the Downtown area those are great suggestions. I think Victory Field should stay where it is but that is my opinion. comparing North Carmel to North Hollywood would be great then maybe a celeb or two might come here! A legoland? never thought of that. that is a cool idea although it would probably have to be mainly indoors. i dont think Fishers needs a GIGANTIC zoo but maybe a small scale one. It wouldnt bother me if West Carmel was better than Buckhead in Atlanta. I think a Public Water Park is great for Greenwood. Greenwood should also develop a greenway system. Just about every community in the Indy area has a greenway system.

I also think that Indy should invest in a street car system. They work Great in Germany where they call them the U-bahn.
U-Bahns are subways. S-Bahns are street-level trains.

I see no reason for a zoo in Fishers. We need to support the one we have downtown and make it better. Chicagoland can support two zoos because it has a much, much larger population base. I also see no reason for having an art museum downtown when we already have one at 38th/Michigan Road. It would be better, IMO, to have a transportation system that better connects folks who live downtown and in the suburban areas with the cultural and entertainment districts that we have. That would help improve those areas and lure more of the "creative class" to Indy, I believe.

As for downtown, there is already momentum building for the residential and shopping development REM proposes. Of course, current economic conditions have stalled much of that progress for now. The idea of a "financial district" may be a bit pie-in-the-sky, however. The trend is toward consolidation in that industry, so there will be fewer firms looking to plant headquarters. From a prestige standpoint, New York, Chicago and San Francisco will always have a leg up. Charlotte is struggling right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
U-Bahns are subways. S-Bahns are street-level trains.

I see no reason for a zoo in Fishers. We need to support the one we have downtown and make it better. Chicagoland can support two zoos because it has a much, much larger population base. I also see no reason for having an art museum downtown when we already have one at 38th/Michigan Road. It would be better, IMO, to have a transportation system that better connects folks who live downtown and in the suburban areas with the cultural and entertainment districts that we have. That would help improve those areas and lure more of the "creative class" to Indy, I believe.

As for downtown, there is already momentum building for the residential and shopping development REM proposes. Of course, current economic conditions have stalled much of that progress for now. The idea of a "financial district" may be a bit pie-in-the-sky, however. The trend is toward consolidation in that industry, so there will be fewer firms looking to plant headquarters. From a prestige standpoint, New York, Chicago and San Francisco will always have a leg up. Charlotte is struggling right now.
I said from the start that indy would have to support a little larger population for some of these things to logically happen. For the art museum i was thinking it would have more natural art or something different from the IMA. as for cultural dist indy is really lacking in them and for the most part are almost alike. BR, mass ave, and FS are basically the same, Irvgton is small, everything on the northside looks the same, south side looks like the nortside.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM

28 posts, read 105,826 times
I think Indianapolis needs the following:
- less fake self-absorbed people
- more affordable houses
- mass transit
- lower property taxes
- higher paying jobs

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I think Indy needs Chicago to be its BFF.

WHY WON'T YOU CALL US BACK CHICAGO?? WE KNOW YOU ARE NOT BUSY!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I think Indy needs Chicago to be its BFF.

WHY WON'T YOU CALL US BACK CHICAGO?? WE KNOW YOU ARE NOT BUSY!!
Right now it's the midwest white house ... they're busy.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM

146 posts, read 517,260 times
I'm not sure of the lay out of the canal/riverwalk in Indy, but if possible it would be nice if more was done with it. The theme would have to be different though:

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv10277.php

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc15148.php

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv22323.php

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv22326.php

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv22328.php

One of the suberbs (fisher, carmel, etc.) could easily do this, right? It would be a lot of fun for a bunch of people and help provide a major social gathering spot for all ages within the community.

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc17747.php

Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM

146 posts, read 517,260 times
My mistake. I just stumbled upon a website http://www.indycanalwalk.org/gallery.html (broken link) that has a lot of pictures of the canal walk, and it is a great looking one. I had only found one picture of it before which didn't reveal much. One question though. Can anyone tell me if there are resteraunts along the river walk other than this one:
http://www.indycanalwalk.org/gallery/images/Picture%20067_jpg.jpg (broken link) . Is there shopping along the canal walk?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
There is not a whole lot right along the canal; at least not like what you see in San Antonio. Honestly, as a resident of near-downtown, I like it that way. It is a nice scenic getaway from the miles of bungalows and towers. The only things that really line the sidewalks of the canal walk are offices, apartments and condos.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
I agree with you I like the Canal the way it is. Nice and Scenic you got that for sure!!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
There is not a whole lot right along the canal; at least not like what you see in San Antonio. Honestly, as a resident of near-downtown, I like it that way. It is a nice scenic getaway from the miles of bungalows and towers. The only things that really line the sidewalks of the canal walk are offices, apartments and condos.

I think development is coming, sooner or later. Alcohol permits have been allotted for the canal zone, and it's only a matter of time before more businesses come in. I wouldn't want that if I lived there, but Indianapolis really should develop this attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis