Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Bingo.

One of the problems is where are all of these good people, (muslims) to speak out when other muslim do bad, claiming the religion as a reason.

Here again, what is bad for one, is not for another.
My question is why doesn't the media put any empjasis on Muslims that do condemn the actions of those who commit atrocities in the name of Islam.

There are no shortages of them, but they never seem to attract the attention of non-Muslims.

HERE

HERE

HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

116 posts, read 87,932 times
"Politics" can be understood as a distribution of power. In a hierarchical system, one group (of people) have more power than the other groups. With power can also come (unearned) wealth and privilege---therefore in order to maintain power they will devise various strategies----one of which is to ensure no other competing groups form to challenge their power.

One such strategy is to create a "narrative" that demonizes a competing or potential power group. When a group in power creates a narrative of demonization towards a group without power---one must always look at such a narrative as suspect.
For example, when European Americans "went west" to steal the lands of the American Indians---they had a "narrative" that the American Indians were uncivilized, savages, sub-human/animal-like,...etc. Today, one targeted group is African Americans (and more generally POC)---the narrative is that African American men are dangerous, drug addicts, uneducated, desperate, criminals....etc. As a result of this narrative---a large number of African American men are incarcerated often for a lifetime and their civil and human rights stripped by law.

In the U.S. the term to describe this phenomena is "racial politics"---IMO, this is a misleading term that obscures the fact that these "politics" are actually "power politics". Only an elite group of European Americans benefit from these power politics---and they are the group that already has power, privilege and wealth.

These "power politics" also play out on an international scale. The American empire has far more military power (as well as wealth and privilege) than any other nation in the world---when they demonize another group of nations---it is to shut down their voices and destroy any potential for competing. That is why the Media does not empower Muslim voices---but only shows those voices that fit the narrative/propaganda.

IMO, If humanity were encouraged towards Tawheed (Unity)----there may be potential to correct and/or restrain this type of hierarchical thinking (Shirk/Division) by having better checks and balances so that the distribution of power is much more egalitarian.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
"Politics" can be understood as a distribution of power. In a hierarchical system, one group (of people) have more power than the other groups. With power can also come (unearned) wealth and privilege---therefore in order to maintain power they will devise various strategies----one of which is to ensure no other competing groups form to challenge their power.

One such strategy is to create a "narrative" that demonizes a competing or potential power group. When a group in power creates a narrative of demonization towards a group without power---one must always look at such a narrative as suspect.

This is exactly what Islam does.

Muhammed needed to de-humanize the Jews to justify attacking them.

Now their doctrine spews hatred on non-muslims, but the Jews are the main target, with Christians following closely behind.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
"
IMO, If humanity were encouraged towards Tawheed (Unity)----there may be potential to correct and/or restrain this type of hierarchical thinking (Shirk/Division) by having better checks and balances so that the distribution of power is much more egalitarian.

Only Islam can control this.. and blaming everyone else, without looking at themselves is Taquyyia.

They need to remove the hatred from the written doctrine.

But we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Only Islam can control this.. and blaming everyone else, without looking at themselves is Taquyyia.

They need to remove the hatred from the written doctrine.

But we all know that ain't gonna happen.
I find it hard to come to the conclusion that a doctrine promotes Hatred when it contains messages like these Ahadith

From Abu Hurayrah. The Messenger of God said: “When God created the creation, God inscribed upon the Throne, ‘My compassion overpowers My wrath.’†(Bukhari 9:501)

From ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab. Some prisoners were brought to the Messenger of God. Among them was a woman, searching. When she found a child among the prisoners, she took hold of it, pressed it against her chest, and provided it suck. Thereupon the Messenger of God said, “Do you think this woman could ever manage to throw her child into the fire?†We said, “By God, so far as it lies in her power, she would never throw her child into the fire!†The Messenger of God said, “God has more compassion for God’s servants than this woman does for her child.†(Muslim 37:6635)

From Jabir ibn `Abdullah. One day the Messenger of God picked up his grandson and kissed him while al-Aqra’ ibn Habis at-Tamim was sitting by him. “I have ten children,†said al-Aqra’, “and I have never kissed any of them.†The Messenger of God cast a glance at him. “If someone shows no compassion to people,†he remarked, “God will show no compassion to him.†(Muslim 30:5737)

The Messenger of God said: “All people belong to God’s family, and God favors best those who are most useful to God’s family.†((Jameh Saghir, Konuz al-Haqayeq)

From Abu Hurayrah. The Messenger of God said: “There is a reward for serving any living thing.†(Bukhari 8:38 )

The Messenger of God said:The cure for hard-heartedness is to put an affectionate hand on the head of orphans and to feed the poor. (Mishkat al-Masabih)

From Humayd ibn `Abd ar-Rahman ibn Awf.A man came to the Messenger of God and said, “Messenger of God, teach me some words that I can live by. Do not make them too much for me, lest I forget.†The Messenger of God said, “Do not be angry.†(Al-Muwatta 47.11)

From Abu Hurayrah. The Messenger of God said: “A strong person is not the person who throws his adversaries to the ground. A strong person is the one who contains himself when he is angry.†(Al-Muwatta 47.12)

From Abu Darda’. The Messenger of God said: “No one will suffer any bodily injury and forgive it without God raising him a degree for it and removing a sin from him.†(Tirmidhi 3480)

The Messenger of God said:God informed Prophet Moses (peace be upon him) that of all God’s servants, the dearest to God was he who was strong enough to take revenge and yet forgives. (Mishkat al-Masabih; Bayhaqi)

Through Ahmad, from Abu Darda’.The Messenger of God was delivering a sermon. He said, “Whoever fears standing before his Sustainer shall have two paradises.†Abu Darda’ asked, “Even if he commits fornication and theft, Messenger of God?†The Messenger of God repeated, “Whoever fears standing before his Sustainer shall have two paradises.†Abu Darda’ asked a second time, “Even if he commits fornication and theft, Messenger of God?†The Messenger of God said a third time, “Whoever who fears standing before his Sustainer shall have two paradises.†Abu Darda’ asked a third time, “Even if he commits fornication and theft, Messenger of God?†And he replied, “Even in spite of Abu Darda’!'†(Tirmidhi 2369)

From Muadh ibn Jabal.“Rejoice! I heard the Messenger of God say, ‘God, the Blessed and Exalted, said, “My love is due to those who love each other in Me, and those who sit with each other in Me, and those who visit each other in Me, and those who give to each other generously in Me.â€â€˜â€ (Al-Muwatta 51.15)

From `Umar. The Messenger of God said: “There are people among the servants of God who are neither prophets nor martyrs; the prophets and martyrs will envy them on the Day of Resurrection for their rank before God Most High.†People asked: “Tell us, Messenger of God, who are they?†He replied: “They are people who love one another for the spirit of God, without any mutual kinship or exchange of property. I swear by God, their faces will glow and they will stand in light. They will have no fear when the people will fear, and they will not grieve when the people will grieve. He then recited the Qur’anic verse: “Behold! Indeed, the friends of God: no fear is upon them, neither shall they grieve.†(Abu Dawud 3520)

From Abu Hurayrah.Someone urged the Messenger of God, “Call down a curse upon the idol-worshippers!†whereupon he said: “I have not been sent to curse. I have been sent as compassion.†(Muslim 6284)

Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 PM

You are carefully omitting the verses that do promote hatred, and I can post more of them than you can.

A greater percentage of Islamic text is about how they treat the kaffir, than their religious belief's themselves.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
You are carefully omitting the verses that do promote hatred, and I can post more of them than you can.

A greater percentage of Islamic text is about how they treat the kaffir, than their religious belief's themselves.
I disagree on both points.

The Qur'an mentions unbelievers (Kaffir) 10 times out of 6236 lines

The Ahadith of Bukhari mention Unbelievers 16 times out of approximately 7,275 Ahadith

The Qur'an Mentions Believers (Muslims) 192 times

Bukhari mentions Believers 254 times

The 4 Madhabs (Islamic Jurisprudence) (shariah law) is applicable for Muslims only.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 10-21-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Waziristan: The World's Drone Strike Capital - YouTube

Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 PM

Golden age of Judaism
Sephardim | Jewish Virtual Library

Visigoth Rule
In 409 C.E., the Visigoths conquered Spain. The Visigoths were Arian Christians, followers of Arius who reasoned that Jesus could not logically co-exist with God and must therefore be subservient to him.

In 587 C.E., King Reccared, the Visigoth king in Spain, converted to Roman Catholicism and made it the state religion. Subsequently, the Church was to exert powerful influence on all aspects of social life. Almost immediately, in 589 C.E., a canon was passed forbidding the marriage between Christians and Jews; and in 612 C.E., the Council of Gundemar of Toledo ordered that all Jews submit to baptism within the year.

In 638 C.E., the Arian Visigoths declared that “only Catholics could live in Spain.”

The Golden Age
The situation improved in 711 when Spain fell under the rule of the Muslim Moors. Both Muslims and Jews built a civilization, based in Cordoba, known as Al-Andalus, which was more advanced than any civilization in Europe at that time. Jews were able to coexist peacefully with their neighbors; however, they were still treated as dhimmis, "People of the Book" (Jews and Christians) who are protected under Islamic law. Jews did not have complete autonomy and had to pay a special tax, the jizha , but were able to freely practice their religion.

The era of Muslim rule in Spain (8th-11th century) was considered the "Golden Age" for Spanish Jewry. Jewish intellectual and spiritual life flourished and many Jews served in Spanish courts. Jewish economic expansion was unparalleled. In Toledo, Jews were involved in translating Arabic texts to the romance languages, as well as translating Greek and Hebrew texts into Arabic. Jews also contributed to botany, geography, medicine, mathematics, poetry and philosophy.

A number of well-known Jewish physicians practiced during this period, including Hasdai Ibn Shaprut (915-970), who was the doctor for the Caliph (leader of Spain). Many famous Jewish figures lived during the Golden Age and contributed to making this a flourishing period for Jewish thought. These included Samuel Ha-Nagid, Moses ibn Ezra, Solomon ibn Gabirol Judah Halevi and Moses Maimonides.

Jews lived separately in aljamas (Jewish quarters). They were given administrative control over their communities and managed their own communal affairs. Jews had their own court system, known as the Bet Din. Rabbis served as judges and rendered both religious and civil legal opinions.

Islamic culture also influenced the Jews. Muslim and Jewish customs and practices became intertwined. For example, Arabic was used for prayers rather than Hebrew or Spanish. Before entering the synagogue, Jews washed their hands and feet, which is a practice done before entering a mosque. Arab melodies were used for Jewish songs. Jews wore the clothing style of their Moorish neighbors, although they were not allowed to wear silk or furs.

Jews lived peacefully in Al-Andulus for 400 years. The Golden Age for Jewry in Muslim Spain declined after the Almovarids gained power in 1055 and continued to deteriorate after the Almohads came to power in 1147. Jews continued to work as moneylenders, jewelers, cobblers, tailors and tanners, however, they had to wear distinguishing clothing, such as a yellow turban.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I disagree on both points.

The Qur'an mentions unbelievers (Kaffir) 10 times out of 6236 lines

The Ahadith of Bukhari mention Unbelievers 16 times out of approximately 7,275 Ahadith

The Qur'an Mentions Believers (Muslims) 192 times

Bukhari mentions Believers 254 times

The 4 Madhabs (Islamic Jurisprudence) (shariah law) is applicable for Muslims only.

The qur'an is 14% of Islamic text..

"Show me in the qur'sn"... is a worn out excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam