Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Congratulations to you both! I married my best friend 2 years ago, and it's undoubtedly the happiest I have ever been. We discuss without shouting, resolve differences without violence or verbal abuse....I cannot FATHOM a marriage devoid of respect of any sort. I experienced that twice before. Never again.

Thank you. You've just reinforced my belief that Islam, in so many respects, exists because of sexism, repression, and violence.

That its followers cannot face those facts (and denounce them, loudly) is its greatest tragedy.

Thank you Rayne... and to you as well. Good luck to you, and God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Thank you Rayne... and to you as well. Good luck to you, and God bless.
Thank you

I wonder what thoughts occur to those unaccustomed to respect and equality in marriage when they see that it not only exists, but actually thrives.

To experience it themselves, they would first have to erase their fears and superstitions of women and replace them with something approaching reality.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
To some extent, yes. Where you and I most likely differ is WHICH person should have that final say.

In my marriage, differences are resolved through discussion and compromise. There is no pattern of either one of us making all final decisions....BECAUSE WE RESPECT EACH OTHER.

In fact, there are almost no major decisions in our marriage that had to be decided by only one of us, to the detriment of the other's wishes. Nearly everything we decide is done together in full agreement.
offcouse , islam encourage such relation you have with your husband , it will be better and most benefits to all if the problems be resolved through discussion and compromise

but what if the discussion and compromise didn't work ?
please you have to look at the verses from this point of view .
The purpose of obedience in the relationship is to keep the family unit running as smoothly as possible.

edit
i can see that may be we will differ in WHICH person should have that final say , i have no problem with that . you can tell me who and the reasons you have , and i will tell you " Who " and my reasons either

Last edited by elwill; 03-17-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Exactly! A marriage in which violence is seen as acceptable is not a marriage based on love or respect.

It is one based on domination...usually in favor of a coward.
offcourse ,
i completely agree with you

Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
offcouse , islam encourage such relation you have with your husband , it will be better and most benefits to all if the problems be resolved through discussion and compromise

but what if the discussion and compromise didn't work ?
please you have to look at the verses from this point of view .
The purpose of obedience in the relationship is to keep the family unit running as smoothly as possible.
Discussion and compromise DO work, especially if there is a longterm history of good communication already in place.

What is more important to you? Harmony?

Or 'winning'?

Healthy relationships are not filled with victors and victims. They are filled, instead, by partners who derive joy out of the other's happiness without giving up their own sense of self or dignity.

I'm sorry, I just can't explain it any other way.

Btw, my husband knows that, if he were to ever strike me, it would mean the immediate end of our relationship. On that, I will not compromise. EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
edit
i can see that may be we will differ in WHICH person should have that final say , i have no problem with that . you can tell me who and the reasons you have , and i will tell you " Who " and my reasons either
Elwill, you completely missed the point of my post.

There is NO ONE PERSON who is in charge of final decisions in my marriage. Not my husband, not me.

Compromise, for us, means that neither of us will always get their way. It is always a process of give and take, with some things favoring one person one time, the other person another time.

That is what true friends do.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
pearls are round. they have no corners

This is not the Quran; it is only a prophetic tradition, which can be true or fabricated.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
What a crock of nonsense............

The nonsense are your words, and you could not answer the question who is the leader of the family; because we know that even any company or office has to have a chief and a leader, which does not mean a tyrant.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I happen to agree.

My husband and I agreed that the word "obey" would NOT be in my portion of the wedding vows.

We came to our marriage as equal partners. The idea that one of us should be inherently submissive to the other is personally disgusting to me.

This is your personal view and opinion.

Now let us speak scientifically and logically: but on another post not here

Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Friends, this is only to friends, don't take this so rigid.
Who will be over and who will be below?
Who will be the doer and who will be the done with?
Who will be the giver and the other one the receiver?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Lovely, more utter nonsense.

Your concept of inequality in a marriage, where the husband's delicate ego must be preserved at all costs, does not fly with societies, cultures, or faiths that believe in freedom.

To think that the wife needs 'correction' by striking her ('tapping'? Give me a break) is repulsive.

Let's call your brand of demanding obedience what it really is: Domestic Abuse.

Americans have already seen what can happen when female family members 'disobey' their Master (father).

They wind up beaten or dead.

Trying to defend husband-as-master, wife-as-docile-subservient, hit-wife-with-stick garbage is ultimately futile.

What sane husband wants his wife to fear him?

Sick, sick, SICK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam