Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
UnderArmor is everywhere and has been for years.
I understand that. It just seems like it's HUGE in this area. Like you have to go out of your way to avoid it in every store and everybody wears it.

I actually like it myself, I have nothing against it. Most of it looks nice and is high quality. Like I said, it might be just because it's HQd in this area and they have more stores specific to UA, even though it's widely available in every clothing or sporting goods store from Target to Dicks.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Hahaha.

You know how you feel about people decked out in college sports gear?

That's how I feel about yuppies dolled up in fake-workout fads. Or worse, name brand "outdoor apparel". It's all pretty much sides of the same shallow, consumerist coin.

(For the record, I also think its lame to dress head-to-toe in or to constantly wear sports gear -- college or pro).

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

22 posts, read 53,551 times
Why does KU not want to play MU anymore? Because they stink! They just aren't confident that they could win again. They want to leave it at "we won the last KU/MU game". By the way not a MU fan. . .and I live in lawrence.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenokie View Post
Why does KU not want to play MU anymore? Because they stink! They just aren't confident that they could win again. They want to leave it at "we won the last KU/MU game". By the way not a MU fan. . .and I live in lawrence.
Then why were they saying it before we even played/won the last game? That's not it at all. MU usually doesn't even have a basketball team to speak of. This year they happen to have a decent team. But when MU decided to go to the SEC, did they not realize that that meant they'd be playing SEC teams, not Big 12 teams? That was their decision, not KU's. It doesn't make sense financially for KU to play MU. We don't need a KU/MU game to draw crowds. We draw crowds no matter who we play. MU needs KU; not vice versa. They chose to go to the SEC and that's fine and we wish them luck. We don't need to play them again.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Then why were they saying it before we even played/won the last game? That's not it at all. MU usually doesn't even have a basketball team to speak of. This year they happen to have a decent team. But when MU decided to go to the SEC, did they not realize that that meant they'd be playing SEC teams, not Big 12 teams? That was their decision, not KU's. It doesn't make sense financially for KU to play MU. We don't need a KU/MU game to draw crowds. We draw crowds no matter who we play. MU needs KU; not vice versa. They chose to go to the SEC and that's fine and we wish them luck. We don't need to play them again.
Keep thinking those thoughts when kU is playing in the Mountain West in 5 short years! It's all good right!

kU - the home of the obtuse!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Keep thinking those thoughts when kU is playing in the Mountain West in 5 short years! It's all good right!

kU - the home of the obtuse!
If you haven't noticed, I ignore your posts. Your comments have become ridiculous and baiting.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-05-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You could be right, there may have been others wearing college stuff, but if they were, then it's not as noticeable. The KU people I saw (and typically notice everywhere) were in the typical very visible blue shirts and ballcaps. That stands out like a sour thumb. That's what I mean by "decked out". KU fans don't mess around with a nice polo with a small KU logo. They do in your face shirts that says in huge text "kansas" or a huge logo of the jayhawk and a hat of similar nature.
You do realize that when companies make college gear, they rarely do single designs for one team? When they design something they design it and use it for many schools perhaps all they have contracts with. So, you're ridiculous if you think KU is somehow unique in their designs for clothing. It is no different than any other college clothing you see.

I still have a hard time believing you that college gear isnt worn out and about around DC. I see Georgetown gear a few times per week so I know it has to be magnified by the hundreds out there.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
MU needs KU; not vice versa.

MU doesn't need KU. If it did, it would have stayed in the Big 12. I want you to consider this next statement carefully: MU's decision to leave the Big 12 for the SEC had absolutely nothing to do with basketball. Nothing, zero, zip, nada. Basketball is fun, I love it, but it's an after thought in the grand scheme of things. Football drives every decision at a macro level. It doesnt matter what Mizzou's basketball attendence is or is not (even though you consistently shortchange it and mistate it).

The potential financial windfall to Mizzou of joining the SEC is huge. Here is an article that touches on what the value of the next SEC TV deal might have and how adding Texas A&M and Mizzou increases that value.

What's the SEC Network Worth a Year? Try a Billion Dollars. : Outkick The Coverage

Mizzou doesn't need KU or anyone else in the Big 12.

Why do you think Bill Self was so upset about Mizzou leaving the Big 12? In his own words from KU's hometown newspaper:

Bill Self won't promise continuation of KU-MU series if Tigers bolt Big 12 for SEC / LJWorld.com

"If they choose to be somewhere other than with us and with the other schools that they’ve been a part of and could jeopardize the future of the other schools ... I’m not going to make a commitment now that we’d ever play again. I’m not saying we won’t. I’m certainly not going to pretend that we would.”

He is saying that Mizzou leaving "...could jeopardize the future of the other schools."

I would say if anything, KU needs MU more than MU needs KU. Nothing KU can do now will jeopardize the future of MU.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You do realize that when companies make college gear, they rarely do single designs for one team? When they design something they design it and use it for many schools perhaps all they have contracts with. So, you're ridiculous if you think KU is somehow unique in their designs for clothing. It is no different than any other college clothing you see.

I still have a hard time believing you that college gear isnt worn out and about around DC. I see Georgetown gear a few times per week so I know it has to be magnified by the hundreds out there.
I honestly have never really noticed people wearing/not wearing college gear because I don't really care what people wear. But since kcmo has commented on it so many times, I am going to start taking notice of sports team wear - in Kansas City, but especially when I travel outside of Kansas City.

I think you are right, I think kcmo just notices Kansas apparel more because he has a distaste for Kansas - and Kansas just seems to be in his face wherever he goes!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Well, for some reason this is a very sore spot for you and rob. I would have to assume that is because you are in the crowd that wears KU stuff everywhere you go, something that seems quite common for ku fans to do.

You guys don't have to believe me.

I'm in DC every day on the metro, union station etc and I don't see georgetown stuff threes times a week. If you see georgetown stuff three times a week in KC, then that pretty much proves that people in KC walk around in college gear 7 days a week.

Walk into any target or mall in kc and you will see it everywhere. You don't see it here. The percent of people that care about college sports here is TINY compared to KC. They are totally drowned out.

NFL is a different story. I would say the NFL is to this area as college is to KC. People still don't really wear NFL gear though, you just see the stickers on cars, and logos in cubes. You sometimes see ravens jerseys etc in more blue collar parts of town.

People will bring a hockey jersey to work and throw it on after work and take a train to the game.

I'm not obsessed with this, I just continue to defend myself to others who think I'm crazy. It's just different.

I mentioned I watched the KU game the other day and noticed that everybody in the stands, like EVERYBODY had on a blue ku shirt. Maryland games I have seen here? Nothing like that. It looks more like an NBA game where people just show up. That's great for KU. The are die hard fans and they like to let everybody know they are ku fans when they are out and about.

It's just not like that here at all with college. NFL yes. You will see people with Pittsburgh or Philly or even Dallas flags and logs on thier cars etc just to make it known they are not Bmore or Redskins fans. Kind of like KC with KU, Kstate, MU and even places like Georgetown.

BTW, they care more about college lacross out here than basketball anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City