Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
--Well since you love bashing Patchogue, Shirley, Mastic, RP, Wading River and all of these Suffolk towns, I was kindly pointing out that Nassau has very similar areas. Some people on these boards just seem to have blinders on and are not aware of their surroundings....you are calling a spade a spade....is there really a difference between Elmont or say....Brentwood.....probably not....so we are talking minor details here.
I don't love bashing anyone. Someone threw out the 5 major well known poor LI ghetto areas in Nassau - so I put up 30 areas in Suffolk that have similar undesirable parts (or entire towns). Trust me, I know the bad areas in Nassau and they are few when you look at all 100+ villages/hamlets in this county. But then you took it a step further when you said "Nassau claims its own redneck/white trash areas as does Suffolk with Shirley & Mastic" ..... I'm asking you WHERE in Nassau is there redneck/whitetrash areas anything close to Shirley/Mastic?

And yeah there is a huge difference between Elmont & Brentwood. For starters, Elmont as a whole is not great, but has a few parts that are actually livable... the school district doesn't have the best rep but it's a functioning district -- not a gang-laden war zone like Brentwood.

Quote:
-YES....and most of these places and towns are not affordable to the people on these boards.....just like the Hamptons in Suffolk or Belle Terre or Old Field in Suffolk, both counties have their very nice areas as well....just like in terms of Suffolk you are mostly bashing the town of Brookhaven for its "redneck trash"....
Not true at all. Affordability is relative obviously, but even many middle class towns have decent sized properties -- it's not just the rich ones. You claimed MOST of Nassau was on tiny plots with no privacy:

I also do not like the fact that most houses in Nassau have that same cookie cutter design, no property, and that your neighbors can peer through the window and see what you are having for dinner every night..

That's absurd. Cookie cutter developments can be found in many places on LI,
(eg- Commack with 10,000 high-ranches and TOBrookhaven hamlets that have majority ranches)

Quote:
--Whats plenty of privacy? My point was that the AVERAGE house in Nassau has far less property than a similar one in Suffolk....It is well known that in Suffolk you get better value for your money....more property, more privacy, and more land. IF you are happy with 80x100 thats fine I am not attacking your preferences, I am saying that personally I prefer the larger properties, and more space that Suffolk has to offer...
I'll ask you the same, what's plenty of privacy in your view? There's no question that the average house in Suffolk has more property than Nassau; but you're making it out to sound like Nassau is 99% 40x100 properties with cookie-cutter homes lined up 1-foot apart from each other... you're off by a mile and you haven't seen enough neighborhoods here to realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I grew up in Suffolk and I don't recall me or any of my friends growing up on lush green acres sorrounded by dense woods at the end of 1/4 mile driveways. And here I thought my dad did ok....lol. The surrounding areas were kind of the same as well....

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
5 vs 30?

or Port Jeff/Port Jeff Station, Huntington Station, Coram, Farmingville, Wyandanch, Brentwood, C. Islip, Bay Shore, Medford, Patchogue, E. Patch, Shirley, Mastic, Mastic Beach, Middle Island, Yaphank, Gordon Heights, Selden, Centereach, North Bellport, Ridge, North Bay Shore, Islandia, Riverhead, Wading River, Flanders, part of the Hamptons, greenport and Montauk ? I'm sure I left a bunch out.
I saw the other post where you said you mentioned 30 towns/areas/whatever Walter calls them and had to go back and see which ones you mentioned.

I am very upset that you mentioned Flanders. The Big Duck cancels out any negatives there.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 PM

426 posts, read 960,418 times
"I'll ask you the same, what's plenty of privacy in your view? There's no question that the average house in Suffolk has more property than Nassau; but you're making it out to sound like Nassau is 99% 40x100 properties with cookie-cutter homes lined up 1-foot apart from each other... you're off by a mile and you haven't seen enough neighborhoods here to realize that. "

--Well, an acquaintance who I know who lives in Floral Park just recently bought a house there and his driveway is so close to his neighbors house that if he opens his car door he is literally only inches away from hitting the adjacent house...and yes, he lives in one of those "cookie cutter" areas where the houses are literally 10 feet apart with basically a shared driveway lol.....

Its probably more common with the border towns, which are beginning to resemble Queens a lot nowadays...

Privacy to me would be atleast a half acre or more of property (probably .5 to 1 acre) with atleast 100 feet in between the adjacent houses....

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
"I'll ask you the same, what's plenty of privacy in your view? There's no question that the average house in Suffolk has more property than Nassau; but you're making it out to sound like Nassau is 99% 40x100 properties with cookie-cutter homes lined up 1-foot apart from each other... you're off by a mile and you haven't seen enough neighborhoods here to realize that. "

--Well, an acquaintance who I know who lives in Floral Park just recently bought a house there and his driveway is so close to his neighbors house that if he opens his car door he is literally only inches away from hitting the adjacent house...and yes, he lives in one of those "cookie cutter" areas where the houses are literally 10 feet apart with basically a shared driveway lol.....

Its probably more common with the border towns, which are beginning to resemble Queens a lot nowadays...

Privacy to me would be atleast a half acre or more of property (probably .5 to 1 acre) with atleast 100 feet in between the adjacent houses....
My better half has family in Bellmore. We go there every year for Thanksgiving. One year, while several of us were in the kitchen taking care of the dishes, one of his cousins looked out the window over the sink and said, "What the...?"

The fellow next door was getting a massage by a pretty young thing, whom no one had seen in the neighborhood before. We were all, "Close the curtains before the happy ending, please!"

I would say those houses are too close.

I grew up in Bay Shore. We only had a quarter-acre of land, but it was enough for a pool and for my father to add an extension behind the kitchen to serve as a dining room, thus opening up the space originally designed to be the dining room to be part of a huge, sunny living room. He also built a beautiful brickwork deck, accessible via the new dining room and through sliding glass doors from the old dining room turned extra living room. We also had various vegetable gardens over the years, and eventually he added a second driveway and a two-car detached garage, and converted the original, attached garage into a studio with skylights and everything.

My parents were the first owners of the house, bought during the great migration of WWII GIs out of the city. Originally there were no fences on the properties. Then some folks put up chain link fences. Eventually everyone went to the six-foot wood fences in the back yards, though some also put up chain-link fences in the front (which, frankly, I think is ugly and tacky). I don't know if it was the law back then, or whether people just had a better sense of community, but all of the fences had gates so that you could just walk into your neighbor's back yard or "cut through" rather than walk around the block. No one put locks on them unless they had a dog, or later, a pool.

Point is, the plots were all the same, and the houses were cookie-cutter (with bars in the basements!), but the yards were big enough for kids to run around and for Mad Men to build their suburban domains. Nassau has some spacious places, sure. But the whole point of the GI exodus to Suffolk was room to breathe and grow--and no one could see in your windows.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

I live in medford an frequent Patchogue village regularly. It is on an upswing . A lot of better places have been opening up. They have parades that Huntington villages has copied (Patchogue's has been going on for 50 plus years and 20 plus years). They have the alive after 5 that everybody on long island has been coming to recently. The Theater has been doing really good. Roast , which is a coffee house that roasts its own beans is doing great also. Its growing really well. They even redid one of the walkways going from the parking lot to main street.

Hopefully the four corners project keeps things going nicely.

Also every spanish person i have ever met here in patchogue has been nothing but nice to me.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
I agree Patchogue Village does have aesthetic appeal going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
My better half has family in Bellmore. We go there every year for Thanksgiving. One year, while several of us were in the kitchen taking care of the dishes, one of his cousins looked out the window over the sink and said, "What the...?"

The fellow next door was getting a massage by a pretty young thing, whom no one had seen in the neighborhood before. We were all, "Close the curtains before the happy ending, please!"

I would say those houses are too close.

I grew up in Bay Shore. We only had a quarter-acre of land, but it was enough for a pool and for my father to add an extension behind the kitchen to serve as a dining room, thus opening up the space originally designed to be the dining room to be part of a huge, sunny living room. He also built a beautiful brickwork deck, accessible via the new dining room and through sliding glass doors from the old dining room turned extra living room. We also had various vegetable gardens over the years, and eventually he added a second driveway and a two-car detached garage, and converted the original, attached garage into a studio with skylights and everything.

My parents were the first owners of the house, bought during the great migration of WWII GIs out of the city. Originally there were no fences on the properties. Then some folks put up chain link fences. Eventually everyone went to the six-foot wood fences in the back yards, though some also put up chain-link fences in the front (which, frankly, I think is ugly and tacky). I don't know if it was the law back then, or whether people just had a better sense of community, but all of the fences had gates so that you could just walk into your neighbor's back yard or "cut through" rather than walk around the block. No one put locks on them unless they had a dog, or later, a pool.

Point is, the plots were all the same, and the houses were cookie-cutter (with bars in the basements!), but the yards were big enough for kids to run around and for Mad Men to build their suburban domains. Nassau has some spacious places, sure. But the whole point of the GI exodus to Suffolk was room to breathe and grow--and no one could see in your windows.
Well I don't know about seeing happy endings in neighbors windows, but if you did those improvements in the bolded paragraph today , holy crap you would get tarred and feathered on taxes! Expanding out is suicide. Up is ok. Sounds nice though. Doesn't it suck how prohibitive it's become where doing nice QOL improvements to your home like this are nearly impossible to do today because of the ridiculous taxes on LI?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
I like to see how many of these people in the bars are getting drunk because they owe a $hit load of money to their ex wives

Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
I like to see how many of these people in the bars are getting drunk because they owe a $hit load of money to their ex wives
???

Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
???
andd the winner issssssss..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island