Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Good luck, Elston..my house will be empty this weekend. My cats are totally stressed out about the packing, etc. I'm sure everything will work out for you.
my dogs know that something is up! They watch me like a hawk and every box that gets packed and taken to the garage. They follow me like shadows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We are very close to closing the deal on selling our house. If all goes according to plan, we will close on the 28th of this month with a month to vacate the premises. The buyer is a bit skittish, but I really think (and so does the realtor) that it is going thru. So in a couple of weeks we will board the doggies, and fly up to Portland and start house hunting! I have got a lot of stuff packed already....if it doesnt go thru we will be living in a very empty house devoid of much of our beloved stuff....until it does. Please please please keep your fingers crossed for us!

Elston that is wonderful news! I'm so happy for you! I'm hoping we can get together when I come up in June, I can't wait to meet you in person!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,687 times
Elston, congratulations! Good luck getting the sale closed. You are so close, can you taste that salty Atlantic air yet?

Starwalker, I'm excited for you too! I cannot imagine moving 5 cats, Starwalker and Mainer61. My moves every 6 months - year with 2 dogs surely is easy compared to that!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
[quote=McMar;2801195]Elston, congratulations! Good luck getting the sale closed. You are so close, can you taste that salty Atlantic air yet?

Thank you McMar! Its not signed sealed and delivered just yet; some repairs from the inspection before he signs on the line......so a little free floating anxiety....but we should be good. I appreciate your support. The smell of the Atlantic is one of the things I miss most--The Pacific is an ocean of difference! Funny but it is totally different. I miss the clean fresh breezes off the ocean with the iodine salty smell and I even miss the fetid smell of the salt marshes baking in the sun at low tide--it smells like the backdrop of whitmans poem "out of the cradle endlessly rocking" the origins of life.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM

444 posts, read 928,890 times
Elston, you have a beautiful way with words. I love the way you describe the world around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The smell of the Atlantic is one of the things I miss most--The Pacific is an ocean of difference! Funny but it is totally different. I miss the clean fresh breezes off the ocean with the iodine salty smell and I even miss the fetid smell of the salt marshes baking in the sun at low tide--it smells like the backdrop of whitmans poem "out of the cradle endlessly rocking" the origins of life.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM

50 posts, read 207,170 times
It has been months since my last post, life has had its fun hurling obstacles in our path. However, we are making our way to our dream. So here is the update, since my last post I have been able to secure the property that my great grandparents once owned in Surry, ME off of North Bend Rd. It is a nice size lot of 10 acres that is adjacent to my father's property. One of my largest fears was finding employment. I was able to land a inside/outside sales position here in Dallas that will actually allow me to move to Maine and office out of my house. I will just need to figure out how to get high-speed internet to the property which may be easier said then done. I know Surry Town Hall which is literally half a mile down the road has high speed access. Now the last obstacle is how do I get my belongings up there? U-Haul, moving company, or sell off all we can (aside from personal treasures) and start completely new. Oh, and we have set a date June 30th we are on the road =) ... so I suppose we will have to catch that wonderful Black Fly season next year... darn =P

Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Steinebach congratulations!! Some posters on here had looked into moving companies, do-it-yourself ones, and hopefully they'll drop in and contribute their findings once again. It will all work out....positive attitudes and lifestyles attract positive events and circumstances--I believe that Take care and keep us updated!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There's one job catagory that we never have applicants for... boat painter/varnisher. None of the boat yards around ever have anyone apply. The pay can be quite good considering the schooling required.

By the way, house painters make rotten yacht varnishers, and vice versa.
Why? And why?

This sounds interesting and is something I haven't done before. How much is "quite good"?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
We ran into our realtor at Walmart this morning. She told me a man was wanting to see our house and would call me this afternoon to update me. She emailed to say he'd had a bankruptsy in the last year and wouldn't qualify.

I see this as a positive and a negative. It's good that people are starting to shop again. It's bad that qualifying is going to be so much more difficult now.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:50 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Marine paint is much thinner than house paint. It will run if you bail it on as per a house. You don't use much paint or varnish at any one time on a yacht... no grain showing, but you don't do that just in one coat.

Picky preperation is the key to paint or varnish a boat and you wouldn't want to pay a boat painter to paint your house... never knows when to stop, will try for perfection.

wages for experienced varnishers could be from $16.- to $21.-per hour. plus bennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine