U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Arnold, MD
132 posts, read 227,273 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

Well when I lived in California, most people there referred to Maryland as "DC" and not Maryland, lol. DC was Maryland land, so I can see where that came from. Maryland is known for their blue crabs and sailing. I've heard that Annapolis is one of the top sailing places out there. Most people that aren't from Maryland think that Baltimore is our capital, and not Annapolis. (Kind of how a lot of people think LA is the capital of CA when its actually Sacramento). A lot of people also know Maryland as being very affluent. So to sum it up, Maryland is known for Baltimore, sailing, crabs, rich people, and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,081 times
Reputation: 17
I live in Maryland and I have to say I absolutely love it aside from the tax and gas prices.
Maryland has the best steamed crabs and sea food.
the people are unique which I love.
even though you have to be carful in places in Maryland I love it I was born and raised in Maryland I still live here.
the greatest thing about Maryland is that we are an equality state we don't care if your gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender , black,white,asian,indian it doesn't matter to us.
speaking as a lesbian myself, their are so many supporters here its not even funny, even though we hide we only hide because some people are still homophobic sadly like my mom, which hurts me.
Maryland is known for the ravens, crabs,boating and a good time no matter who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 633 times
Reputation: 15
BEING from Maryland and having lived all over the country I can now say that Marylanders are known for being EXTROVERTED and also extremely easygoing. Weirdly enough I think this strange video I stumbled across sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NkwQed8I4

Even though it's supposed to be a "confrontation", both parties are completely relaxed, chill, cordial, and friendly. They end it promising to hang out- no voices raised, even when they're trying to discuss difficult subjects they try to be as tactful as possible.

Now that I live on the west coast, I realize how unique this is. Where I live now there would be screaming and shouting and possibly even physical stuff. Or very passive aggressive digs at each other culminating with a blow up. And that's on a good day.

People from Maryland are generally verrrrry communicative- big talkers that will chat your ear off (in a GREAT way) and also fairly relaxed and diplomatic at the same time.

I personally think it's a great combination!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 AM
 
77 posts, read 39,142 times
Reputation: 77
Marylanders are so diverse. The only thing we all have in common is crabs/seafood and that might not even be true for Western Maryland.

There are like 4 -6 different accents in MD

Like 5-6 regions depending on who you talk to.

Two different football teams to route for.

You cant really pin down a Marylander to a typical profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times
Reputation: 1100
That's it?!!! That is all you have to offer...football, crabs, and high taxes?!

Quote:
the greatest thing about Maryland is that we are an equality state we don't care if your gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender , black,white,asian,indian it doesn't matter to us.
*Maryland is one of the most racist places in North America.




Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseisgay View Post
I live in Maryland and I have to say I absolutely love it aside from the tax and gas prices.
Maryland has the best steamed crabs and sea food.
the people are unique which I love.
even though you have to be carful in places in Maryland I love it I was born and raised in Maryland I still live here.
the greatest thing about Maryland is that we are an equality state we don't care if your gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender , black,white,asian,indian it doesn't matter to us.
speaking as a lesbian myself, their are so many supporters here its not even funny, even though we hide we only hide because some people are still homophobic sadly like my mom, which hurts me.
Maryland is known for the ravens, crabs,boating and a good time no matter who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times
Reputation: 1100
The Wire?!!! Seriously?!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobworkinger View Post
Blue Crabs, Lacrosse, Under Armour, and The Wire. Those 4 things instantly register Maryland for most folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:10 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times
Reputation: 1100
By these comments, I can see why the state of Maryland gets laughed at...because y'all are some of the most corniest people known to modern human civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 AM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times
Reputation: 1100
Yup! I agree, especially southern New Jersey!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple or Nothing View Post
Maryland is a southern version of New Jersey............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 AM
 
Location: USA
13,346 posts, read 7,301,172 times
Reputation: 9681
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
If it rains next week and you get wet will you blame liberals?
I don't think liberals can be blamed for the rain, but they can be blamed for TAXING the rain like they do in Maryland. It is one of several states I would never live in, although I did for a brief stretch many years ago. It is truly off the rails politically, mostly thanks to DC, well and Baltimore, of course. Ballmore to be more precise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwitty View Post
Marylanders are so diverse. The only thing we all have in common is crabs/seafood and that might not even be true for Western Maryland.

There are like 4 -6 different accents in MD

Like 5-6 regions depending on who you talk to.

Two different football teams to route for.

You cant really pin down a Marylander to a typical profile.
You can get good crabs and other seafood out here if know where to look. Some folks love it, like a MDer should. Many don't though, we are more a soup beans and baked steak type region with some pepperoni rolls thrown in for good measure.

Oh, and there are three NFL teams we can root for. Hagerstown and west is firmly Steeler's Country, with Ravens and Redskins fan in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top