Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:48 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The original trilogy is full of bad acting, plot hole and story devices that don't work. That's Star Wars.
The original trilogy is alot better than the trash released afterwards. Nitpickers can find flaws in anything but objectively the original films stand up alot better on there own merits. The other films blatant cash grabs the only new star wars film I liked was rogue one because it actually respected the original films and told a tight concise story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I said THE LAST JEDI was more original than the Force Awakens.
sorry, reading comprehension isn't my strong suit

Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The original trilogy is alot better than the trash released afterwards. Nitpickers can find flaws in anything but objectively the original films stand up alot better on there own merits. The other films blatant cash grabs the only new star wars film I liked was rogue one because it actually respected the original films and told a tight concise story.
The entire franchise is a blatant cash grab. What about the infamous 1978 Holiday Special or the terrible 1984 Ewoks TV movie Caravan of Courage and equally bad 1985 Ewoks TV movie Battle for Endor. Or the Ewok and Droids saturday morning cartoons. Everything that happened post 1977 was driven by toy and merchandise sales. Lucas sold his soul a long time before he sold out to Disney. I'm just glad that there have been some entertaining stuff mixed in with the occasional garbage. And I know the future is going to be Marvel-esque over saturation of the Star Wars universe and I just hope they find some fresh voices to tell new stories

Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._the_last_jedi

Rotten Tomatoes, Disney might be able to pay off the critics or threaten to have their family killed if they didn't give the movie good ratings, but they can't control the audience, who gave this a dismal 55%.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:52 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._the_last_jedi

Rotten Tomatoes, Disney might be able to pay off the critics or threaten to have their family killed if they didn't give the movie good ratings, but they can't control the audience, who gave this a dismal 55%.
And majority of that is fake bot reports set up by someone wanting Disney to look bad.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And majority of that is fake bot reports set up by someone wanting Disney to look bad.
Yeah. Actually one hacker is taking credit for the majority of bad review on Rotten Tomatoes.

I would say the approval rating is about 80% from the real people I've talked to with about 100 people polled. And most of the negative people are regurgitating negative stuff they've read on the internet because they can't form their own opinions

Old 12-19-2017, 08:48 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Yeah. Actually one hacker is taking credit for the majority of bad review on Rotten Tomatoes.

I would say the approval rating is about 80% from the real people I've talked to with about 100 people polled. And most of the negative people are regurgitating negative stuff they've read on the internet because they can't form their own opinions
Haha I love it!!!!

Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:

I don't know if you've read multiple internet forums, but it's definitely not just "one hacker" who hates the movie. That's BS from Disney who are upset that people don't like the movie.

The movie actually really just flat out sucks. This is coming from one of the biggest Star Wars geeks around. The movie is just bad.

I don't get how if people dislike something, it automatically has to be hackers or trolls. Geez, if George Lucas did that when people crapped on The Phantom Menace, they would have laughed at him to bankruptcy.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I liked it more than Force Awakens because it was more original. I don't think it's better than the original trilogy, but it is superior than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (barf). Jury's out on Revenge of the Sith.

Mark...I usually agree with your movie opinions but I cannot get on board here with you. To say TLJ is worse than the prequels is pretty laughable. Worse dialogue? People actually forgot "I hate sand"? Attack of the Clones is THE worst Star Wars movie and it isn't close.

Why do people have such a problem with Leia's scene? If it's because you think she should be dead in space right away, you are dead wrong. Guardians of the Galaxy had a pretty realistic scene in space as well. People need to do their homework before harping on the "inaccuracy." I do admit it looked a bit cheesy. I don't understand why it's hard to believe Leia had enough Force sensitivity to propel herself like 30 feet in a vacuum. Rey has done a lot more than that with zero Force training.

To a certain extent I understand the complaints about Luke.

Spoiler
Would the Luke of the Original Trilogy even have an urge to kill his own nephew? He didn't give up on his own father, even though Vader was grade A evil, and was willing to die to redeem him. Still, Luke is human and I kind of get why he might think for just one second to strike down Ben Solo. Was it kinda silly that he turned his light saber on that long RIGHT as Ben wakes up? Yeah it is, but this is Star Wars...

I thought the acting was great, especially from Adam Driver. I feel like Kylo Ren is what a true Sith is supposed to be (yes I know he's technically not Sith but come on, basically he is). They give in to their emotions. While it's cool to have a cold and collected villain, it makes sense to me to have one who has zero control of their emotions, like Kylo.

Spoiler
I can picture a young man tempted by the Dark Side by Snoke (side note: I also wish we knew more about him), who tells him Luke will give up on him, and then to see Luke turning on his light saber like that? He felt an immense betrayal. I think he must have cared for Luke a lot and easily switched that to hate. That's very Dark Side to me.

I think I would like these movies a lot less if not for Kylo Ren to be honest. Rey kind of bores me. Finn's OK but I didn't like this plot that much this time.
Yeah...because Poe using a line from the Verizon Commercials as a joke is sooo much better, right?

But no, the Leia scene was laughable. It just looked cheesy and so out of place...my theater actually laughed out loud at that, when it was supposed to be a serious moment. Never good.

I agree, Adam Driver was the only good part about this movie. That and the dude who played Poe. Those two were the only ones who seemed to act their butts off and they cared. I liked Kylo's arc in this movie...Luke's, however, was so anti-Luke that it's not even funny. No wonder Mark Hamill was so outspoken about the Luke character.

Everyone else were just...there. Rey is still so unbelievably boring (seriously, what exactly are her likeable traits? If she went to the dark side, why should I even care?), Finn, who was interesting in TFA got shoehorned into some videogame-PETA mission with some random girl who came out of nowhere. The screenwriting and the movie are just all over the place and it's just a mess of a movie. It feels like different people and interest groups all had ideas and then just threw them to the wall in an editing room and hoped that something would stick to the audience.

And now that it is poorly received from the audience, they resort to "alt-right trolls" as the reason why it's getting negative reviews.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
I didn't like it. It was just "ok" IMO., and I used to LOVE Star Wars...smh. I thought the fight scene against Snoke's Red Guards was kinda cool though. The way they cut the music and the choreography gave it a certain depth that was kinda "Matrix like".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies