Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM

84 posts, read 249,876 times

Advertisements

Sorry if it bothers anyone that I brought this back...I experienced a cat call today I am male but as I was walking back down from school in The Bronx this Dominican girl about 25-30 was getting cat called by an Ambulance driver who happened to be white. He yelled out blondie and was clearly staring at her ass while she crossed the street and started yelling out his phone number lol. She was pretty hot but that is not how one of NY's Finest should act.

I would also like to know how NYC ranks up against other cities in this regard (sexual crimes) this year there seems to be a big spike in sexual attacks. I can't watch the news without hearing about a serial groper/rapist.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,816 times

The Social Network Scala & Kolacny Brothers - Creep - YouTube

Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM

338 posts, read 677,009 times
My theory is that when one guy starts doing it (assaulting women), it puts it in the mind of other guys who have been thinking about it, and it reinforces the idea. That's why there isn't one Park Slope rapist/assaulter, there are a bunch. They're all feeding off of each other. These guys are predators after all, no better than snakes or jackals, and they operate as animals. When those two cops got away with rape in May, that sent out the "predator signal" to every animal in this city--the message they got was that it's open season on women, that they'll get away with it. Look at all the evidence against the cops, and they still got off. That combined with a culture that winks at/makes a joke of misogyny in this country, and this is what you get.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times
Catcalls, the new #1 issue in NYC, LMAO.

Get with it your get out, honestly. Your going to miss it once you get old and ugly.

I feel it's wrong to put the little Mexican workers out there like that. All men do it. Every man stares if he likes what he sees, some men are vulgar and will shout an obscenity. Get used to it, there are more pressing issues.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,436 times
As long as the boys keep their hands to themselves, there's not much you can do other than ignore it. Water off a duck's back. If they can't keep their hands to themselves, then break every bone in them. Fingers are fragile and don't take much force to snap. 5lbs of pressure will break a nose. Throats, eyeballs, kneecaps and groins are also easy to hit- momma didn't raise no victim! Every girl should know how to fight.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 AM

365 posts, read 502,003 times
I'm sorry...but sometimes I really think females tend to "amp" things up for effect. I always get those annoying stares and whispers and God Bless you mami and then some. But I just never heard or dealt with that whole "grabbed my ass" thing. It's a common thing in the city, the whole male attention act. So common that most females don't even feel the need to brag and or boast about it. Not saying she was, but c'mon. LoL! I don't know, maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way, but I just feel like some people like to....I don't know, over exaggerate certain things to seek affirmation and or ego boosts. Simply put. And besides, groping is a crime. To casually mention, "grabbed my ass" is a bit odd for me. Out here in NYC, you touch me, I touch you. And I'm not talking no little tap on the shoulder greeting either. Once again, it's just IMO. And this is coming from a female who did modeling and photoshoots so yes I consider myself attractive. Big deal....

Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,710 times
Harassment is NOT acceptable. Don't change the way you act or the way you look. These dis-respectful men need to be taught a lesson in how to treat a lady!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,710 times
Harassment is NOT acceptable. Don't change the way you act or the way you look. These dis-respectful men need to be taught a lesson in how to treat a lady!!!

Daisy x

[url]http://www.claims-world.co.uk[/url]

Last edited by DaisyMorgan; 10-19-2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,816 times
Catcalls are not something that is new to society. I believe that some women blow it out of proportion. Take it as a compliment or ignore it. I am against anytype of unwanted touching but catcalling only has power if you allow it to have power.

Some men do catcalls to reassure each other, and possibly themselves that they aren't gay. Or at least that they're all on the same page. Call it homophobia-phobia. It's a completely unnecessary anxiety that I think drives a lot of guys to do some pretty damaging stuff.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM

338 posts, read 677,009 times
Women do not blow it out of proportion, nor is it any kind of compliment. It is a way of reminding women how vulnerable they are. It's frankly disgusting, and it's unbelievable that so many here are minimizing how infuriating it is. For every heterosexual man on this board, imagine being followed gay men who are bigger and stronger than you, saying things to you, with the implied threat of violence--yes, I've had guys get angry at me when I've said something back.

And the ass-grabbing does happen. The site ihollaback.org has some very powerful stories. There are several sites that address this problem--if you really want to know how strongly women feel about this, check them out.

If any particular race were singled out by everyone else every time they walked outside--if, say, black people were yelled at by not just white people but everyone--people would be rightfully outraged, because we've learned that isn't acceptable, you shouldn't treat people that way. But because it's women society brushes it off. "It's a compliment"--no, it's disgusting and an insult. "They're just trying to feel like they're heterosexual"--that's their issue, maybe they need to see a therapist. "It's no big deal"--to me and to every woman I know who's experienced, it's infuriating. Guys know this, because if someone does it to their sister or their girlfriend they're outraged. So they know it's wrong--just not when THEY want to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.