Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:50 PM

64 posts, read 263,835 times

Advertisements

It's not that there are costs here that there aren't in other places. Everyone talks about the property taxes being low here which they are. But remember the old saying, "you get what you pay for". There are no school taxes here, "YET". Most average sized counties down here only have two or three High Schools in the entire county. Schools are overcrowded, most have moved classes into trailers outside the school building, some kids have to stand up to eat lunch. In most areas you will have to live in a subdivision where you might have to pay a Homeowners association fee. You have to pay a property tax on your vehicles every year. It seems like everytime you turn the corner there is something else you have to pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Very true. The cost of living in NC may not be as high as it is in Long Island, California, Massachusetts, or Florida....but as lakeman pointed out, the keyword is YET. I have only lived in Wake County so I can't comment on his claimes about the smaller counties with fewer schools.... but in Wake Co. the school overcrouding is getting worse every year. They actually had to build a "mobile school" made up of NOTHING but trailor classrooms. They had to double the cost of student parking in many schools from $120 to $240, and now Green Hope HS in Cary has the most expensive student parkinglot in the nation! If you live in a big subdivision with a nice pool, you pay up to over $1000 a year in dues, and then they make it very hard for you to build a pool in your back yard (in cary you can't have an above ground pool, and a below ground pool as to meet certain "keep Cary beautiful" standard). Wake Counties lifestyle that SO many people are moving here for is dying out FAST. Look at Florida, look at Arizona, and in few years.... that'll be much of NC. It was different too when it was only wake and mecklenberg coutnies where people were moving too, much like it was different when people were only moving to Miami and Tampa.... but it's spread to the whole state now.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
As far as a combination of state and local tax burdens, North Carolina ranks right around middle of all the states and DC.

So, if you're looking for a high or low tax burden, you won't find it here in North Carolina.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:07 PM

True. But that's for the state overall. There are some poorer parts of rural NC that keep the average down. While the most expensive places are Wake County, Mecklenberg County, and probably the ares areound the coast. You actually find both low and high.... just in seperate areas of the state.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:09 PM

107 posts, read 354,281 times
[quote=i'minformed]Very true. The cost of living in NC may not be as high as it is in Long Island, California, Massachusetts, or Florida....but as lakeman pointed out, the keyword is YET. I have only lived in Wake County so I can't comment on his claimes about the smaller counties with fewer schools.... but in Wake Co. the school overcrouding is getting worse every year. They actually had to build a "mobile school" made up of NOTHING but trailor classrooms---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- North carolina is not the only place with trailers for classrooms either. I know you said it hasnt happened yet, All these taxes and such. But at least WHEN it Does happen ( and I know it will), I can be mortgage free in NC after using the equity I made here and actually AFFORD the tax payments, unlike on long island where everyone is having to mortgage 400,000.00 for a decent house and then paying 9,000 in taxes.. I am not moving for the wrong reason or on a whim . It is a no brainer and I am sorry that it seems to offend you but instead take pride in the fact that we are moving for the same reasons you did years ago.

Last edited by krusklan; 06-17-2006 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM

If you live in a big subdivision with a nice pool, you pay up to over $1000 a year in dues, and then they make it very hard for you to build a pool in your back yard (in cary you can't have an above ground pool, and a below ground pool as to meet certain "keep Cary beautiful" standard). Wake Counties lifestyle that SO many people are moving here for is dying out FAST. Look at Florida, look at Arizona, and in few years.... that'll be much of NC. It was different too when it was only wake and mecklenberg coutnies where people were moving too, much like it was different when people were only moving to Miami and Tampa.... but it's spread to the whole state now.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am not in agreement with buying a property that I cannot own my own pool, so I will not put my money into those areas, that is MY choice and unfortunately it seems that if other people dont care and buy into these areas, then it is their choice also. Just as it is your choice also on where you want to be. I am not trying to bash you, but if you are so intent on going back to Rochester and dont want to be in NC anymore , then why are you fighting so hard to keep people away from North Carolina ? perrogotive

Last edited by krusklan; 06-17-2006 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-17-2006, 01:19 PM

It doesn't offend me. It's just somewhat frustrating tro see it happening and thinking of how cluelss some people (not you) can be and how half baked some people's plans are. The one that gets me the most is when people have a job where ever they are now, but say that either the job market isn't good or that they cost of living is getting to high..... so they move here without a job. Not a very wise decision. I'm really sorry if I'm offending anyone becaue I have actually seen people on this form planning to do that. But I'd just adivse to you at least research the area a LITTLE more, and find a job, before you move here.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
True. But that's for the state overall. There are some poorer parts of rural NC that keep the average down. While the most expensive places are Wake County, Mecklenberg County, and probably the ares areound the coast. You actually find both low and high.... just in seperate areas of the state.
Out of North Carolina's 100 counties, these are the Top Ten most heavily taxed in order.

1. Dare
2. Currituck
3. Mecklenburg
4. Brunswick
5. New Hanover
6. Durham
7. Hyde
8. Wake
9. Orange
10. Guilford

Old 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
It doesn't offend me. It's just somewhat frustrating tro see it happening and thinking of how cluelss some people (not you) can be and how half baked some people's plans are. The one that gets me the most is when people have a job where ever they are now, but say that either the job market isn't good or that they cost of living is getting to high..... so they move here without a job. Not a very wise decision. I'm really sorry if I'm offending anyone becaue I have actually seen people on this form planning to do that. But I'd just adivse to you at least research the area a LITTLE more, and find a job, before you move here.
I do agree completely with that and that is exactly what we did

Old 06-17-2006, 02:14 PM

110 posts, read 394,864 times
I really couldnt believe when I read other posts about people buying land or a house down here over the internet. And they didnt even see the place they purchased in person, in my book that falls under the definition of crazy.

I know there are places probably all over the country that schools are held in a trailor. But here in NC, by the time a new school is built or more space is added, its still about 5 years behind. And people keep coming.

I know alot of people still think, so what, there is traffic everywhere, schools are overcrowded everywhere, whats the big deal? Well come on down and find out. I do not know of any place that adds thousands of new residents monthly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina