Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,083,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I'm 62 yrs old now and remember times I hated him for doing what he thought was right to correct me. That was the way it was back then.
Now I see kids with no respect, no discipline, no manners, and no reason to expect any punishment for any actions they know is wrong.

Thankfully, there are still some who have been taught respect, honor, discipline, without the need of the old ways of discipline. But there are still some who need a little more persuasion and parents who have enough back bone to carry out some needed discipline.
You act like the only two options are hitting your child or doing nothing and being a sucker parent that gets walked all over. Well sorry those aren't the only 2 options, you can be strict with other ways to punish. No kid likes a boring time-out away from their toys and TV, or the TV turned off, or this or that taken away. They'll do what you say to avoid losing that item or being stuck in a time-out and forced to listen to a lecture about their behavior, a nagging reminder, repeated several times, about how they have to listen and be a good girl, and then have to apologize and not be crying in order to end the time out. Just do that every once in a while and just the threat of the time out or losing the item works as quickly as a swat a child would work.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,192,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
You act like the only two options are hitting your child or doing nothing and being a sucker parent that gets walked all over. Well sorry those aren't the only 2 options, you can be strict with other ways to punish.
ITA! I'm so confused by some of the posters who think that parents who don't hit their kids don't discipline. There are many other ways to discipline other then hitting.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,873,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't disagree with what you say above, Pam, but I just want to point out that "corporal" just means "bodily." It has the same roots as "corpse." So corporal punishment just means physical punishment, punishment of the body.

Carry on!
Corporal no matter what the meaning is is wrong; just my opinion and if in fact the root of the word is CORPSE come one...how correct can it be. Thanks for the word correction...sometimes we all need to be pointed in the right direction.....

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,957,495 times
Except for a couple of us old timers here a majority of the posters are younger folks.

Today they take away the Ipod or the TV or the Video game...Geeez thats real rough.

In my day...early 1930's there was none of that stuff to take away. My mother could take away the clothes pin that I used as a car to play with...or the wheelbarrel that was my makeshift house/garage etc. Had a lot of fun those days with my "imagination".

Yes...I got the switch a couple of times and never forgot that word "switch" and therefore walked the line carefully. My kids also got the switch and belt when they misbehaved as I mentioned in a early post. As I said they all came out real fine and I'm proud of them.

My one son that gave me the most problems was a deterrent to his siblings. Later on he used the same practice on my first grandson who is today a fine young man.

Different upbringings or family traditions will vary...some with good results and some bad results.

Many forget the old saying "spare the rod and spoil the child".

Steve

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I'm so confused by some of the posters who think that parents who don't hit their kids don't discipline. There are many other ways to discipline other then hitting.
Because most of us know parents who've tried those other ways, and have failed, and when you suggest spanking they look at you as if you had just beamed down from Saturn.

If another method actually works for you, have at it.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,703,574 times
I notice no one talks about hitting children that are tall enough to defend themselves.

Its easy to overpower an elementary school aged kid, isn't it? Not so easy to push around a high-schooler. Wonder why the spanking stops? Cuz they are too strong and can hit back? Just a guess.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,561,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
if your crying about spanking your kids like that, than maybe there is something wrong and deep down inside you know your doing something wrong. i dont feel any guilt when i discipline my child. i use words.
No, I never felt guilt. I just felt pain because I knew my child felt pain. Good try on psychoanalysing though. Even in the psychology world emotional assessment is not usually one or the other, there can be many reasons to different reactions.
You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,015,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
...You are one ignorant mofo...
Totally uncalled for, and unless I'm mistaken, a violation of C-D's ToS (personal attacks are not permitted). I'm not a mod so I have no authority here, but as a fellow C-D user, I'm politely requesting that you tone down the abrasiveness of your posts.

Disagree with people all you want, but please do it civilly.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,561,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I notice no one talks about hitting children that are tall enough to defend themselves.

Its easy to overpower an elementary school aged kid, isn't it? Not so easy to push around a high-schooler. Wonder why the spanking stops? Cuz they are too strong and can hit back? Just a guess.
Noticed? I guess you did not look that closely then. I did address spanking children when they are older and even stated an example.
I also addressed the older the child the need for spanking may be less due to their maturity level as compared to younge kids.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM

13,412 posts, read 28,779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Gheese Louise, I hope that no parent out there uses a belt on their kid. I am a product of a brutal father who used a belt, his hands, his fists, his feet to kick me and more. I can feel the sting to this day on my backside or across my legs from him beating on me. I can still see me curled up in a fetal position trying to deflect the blows...it was miserable. I never not ever laid a hand on my son because of all this and he grew up just fine...I truly hope that no parent ever feels the need to beat on their kid not ever!
What you are describing is not a disipline spanking you are describing abuse..huge difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting