Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times

Advertisements

Phoenix beats out Houston. More affordable places to live.
LA only gets more points for being on the ocean and Mediterranean climate, but again, it's rich vs, poor, you live in LA or if you can afford Orange County. No scorpions or snakes.
Houston? Don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
"Greatness" meaning size, importance to global economy, size of economy, diversity, and desirability?

Why did these cities surpass Phoenix, which is on the decline?

Is it the lack of diversity, lack of any walkable neighborhoods, conservatism, no public transport and unfavorable climate with no water? L.A. lacks water too (although eventually they will run out). Is it just simply the lack of a huge and diverse economy like Houston and L.A? Is Phoenix goin to do anything to address quality-of-life issues and catch up to L.A. and Houston which have done a lot in the past 10-20 years to add public transport and create more walkable neighborhoods and clean up pollution? Also, when will Phoenix become more liberal/socially accepting?

Will Phoenix one day "rise from the ashes" - of course they've predicted that with Detroit for like 30 years.
What are you talking about? And why are you putting Houston in the same breathe as Los Angeles? It isn't...and only people from Houston would think so...Your post fails miserably...can we say troll?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 AM

81 posts, read 230,663 times
If Houston is so desirable why are people from California flocking to Phoenix instead of Houston?

You have humidity and hurricanes...get the heck out of here.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,413,032 times
Smile Look at the date

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
You're jealous, just move here already!
The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

We are all getting to crowded, I don't see much difference between the 3 except humidity and crime and maybe air quality. 2 have oceans, 1 has hurricanes.

Basically we are all to big to support ourselves so what difference does it make. It's not like we mind loosing people to Houston, you deal with the crowd, good luck!
That report is more than a year old. It was before the subprime meltdown. Look at Phoenix lately, not doing so well anymore.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
That report is more than a year old. It was before the subprime meltdown. Look at Phoenix lately, not doing so well anymore.
Quote:
What are you talking about? And why are you putting Houston in the same breathe as Los Angeles? It isn't...and only people from Houston would think so...Your post fails miserably...can we say troll?
Go away...you have your own forum and ya all can compare Houston to Los Angeles over there...Better yet, take this to the LA forum and see what they think of Houston...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Smile I movede from Phoenix to Houston last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
Ahahahahahahahahaha.....I lived in Texas for over 20 years....Houston is the biggest crime ridden dump in the United States next to Detroit. Everything downtown is closed by 5 p.m.......the police dept. recruits out of town and out of state. It ain't that much bigger either....I'd feel safer walking down any street in Phoenix and it's surrounding areas, than the
"safest" places in Houston. And it's pretty polluted too....L.A. is nothing more than a cespool, and should be nuked.
Where did you live at?? Southwest Houston?? I am in Katy and have had none of those problems. I see no pollution, hardly any crime, We have just as good of weather as Phoenix with hot summers and mild winters. The beach is a lot closer. There are many more jobs, things to do etc.
Sorry for the mispelled title but I can't change it.

Of course if you live at 19th ave & Van Buren you will think Phoenix is crime ridden too. Here is a nice video about the real Phoenix with a great view of it's growing skyline. I am posting this in the Houston forum to be fair also.

YouTube - South Side Story: Urban Changes in South Phoenix

Here is a comparable video of Houston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQvk875IZo

Last edited by jd433; 11-18-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Go away...you have your own forum and ya all can compare Houston to Los Angeles over there...Better yet, take this to the LA forum and see what they think of Houston...
Houston compares favorably with Compton.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM

101 posts, read 295,972 times
Smile I have been interested in Houston lately

I live in Phoenix and have been thinking a lot about moving to Texas. I can't find a job here and the ecenomy is horrible right now. I have heard that Houston is the place to be right now especially with this tough economy.

Would it be hard for me to move there and find a good job and place to live??

Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Where did you live at?? Southwest Houston?? I am in Katy and have had none of those problems. I see no pollution, hardly any crime, We have just as good of weather as Phoenix with hot summers and mild winters. The beach is a lot closer. There are many more jobs, things to do etc.
Sorry for the mispelled title but I can't change it.

Of course if you live at 19th ave & Van Buren you will think Phoenix is crime ridden too. Here is a nice video about the real Phoenix with a great view of it's growing skyline. I am posting this in the Houston forum to be fair also.

YouTube - South Side Story: Urban Changes in South Phoenix

Here is a comparable video of Houston

YouTube - CITY OF HOUSTON
I disagree on your weather statement, Houston has to be the worst in the country..Of course the beaches are closer, but is that a reason to judge the greatness of an area, as for pollution, maybe you don't see it, but give me a break, it is there...
We never lived in Houston, but visited it often in our 13 years in Texas. I am glad you love living there, that is why we all have choices, but it certainly isn't a haven or isn't to many of us..

Nita

Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Smile Yes I know

#28 Today, 10:52 AM
josehernandez017
befriend
Status: "Phoenix Az" (set 7 minutes ago) Join Date: Jul 2008
19 posts, read 5,453 times

I have been interested in Houston lately

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Phoenix and have been thinking a lot about moving to Texas. I can't find a job here and the ecenomy is horrible right now. I have heard that Houston is the place to be right now especially with this tough economy.

Would it be hard for me to move there and find a good job and place to live??

[+] Rate this post positively

I know you poor misguided soul. I too fell for the Phoenix thing. I lived there for 11 years back when Phoenix was the place to be. But now thats all over, with the crash of the housing market and the loss of jobs Phoenix just isn't where it's at anymore.

I will IM you with imformation that will help you escape. I wonder how many others are in this same position right now?? Scared, unable to find a job, not knowing what to do or where to go. There is hope. You will be safe here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area