Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its funny, "fans" of 3 not-so-desireable cities arguing amongst themselves about who's better than who. Theres no shortage of flies on the sh*t pile, thats for sure! lol
Well, some of us who LIVE HERE deal with our angst this way. BTW, you live in CHICAGO.

Geez, I don't go wandering off into other forums. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,610 times
Quote:
Its funny, "fans" of 3 not-so-desireable cities arguing amongst themselves about who's better than who. Theres no shortage of flies on the sh*t pile, thats for sure! lol
What makes a city desirable? Its opinions, last time I checked Phoenix and Huston are rapidly growing cities, there must be some desire there. I don't see the see the allure of Chicago.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
What makes a city desirable? Its opinions, last time I checked Phoenix and Huston are rapidly growing cities, there must be some desire there. I don't see the see the allure of Chicago.
People think there are JOBS here and cheap real estate. That's about it.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Sorry, but it does hurt to hear the truth once in a while, right? And I live in this pit, so I can speak to it. Well, actually I live in N. Scottsdale, and that is close enough. And, btw, do you live in Vegas, yet you accuse someone else of coming to a forum where he doesn't belong?!
I have a right to post on this forum. The OP doesn't-- since his sole purpose here is nothing other than to start trouble. I just spent most of the last four years of my life living in Phoenix (Tempe) and I'm a graduate of ASU. I also have some family in Phoenix. Right now I'm temporarily living in LA. I've never lived in Las Vegas before, smart one. I just like visiting there. Hence the definition of the world "pilgrim."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just scrolling down the main page and this thread caught my eye....

I have no personal connection with any of these cities. My current status as a Dallas resident gives me nothing pro or con for Houston and I have never been to LA or Phoenix.

I would point out that the original title of the thread is a misleading statement in the first place. Houston and LA have always been larger than Phoenix. If greatness is measured by population and ecomonimcs, I don't think anyone in Phoenix would claim to have been greater than LA or Houston at any time in the present or past.
Exactly. In 1950 LA was already a huge city of multiple millions of people when Phoenix was barely breaking 100,000. LA is a much, much older city than Phoenix. How the f*** can LA "surpass" Phoenix when Phoenix is the newcomer on the block?

Quote:
The fact that McCain is an Arizona native and has ably represented that state and carried the area is no reason to point any fingers or claim some kind of moral superiority. States usually go for their native son in national elections. No reason to read anything else into that.
McCain is not an Arizona native. He has adopted Arizona as his home state. He's from the northern Virginia/ Washington DC area and has probably lived most of his life in that region. Growing up in a military family and being in the military himself he's lived all over the place, really. When he first ran for office in Arizona several decades ago he was accused of being a "carpetbagger." I do think it would have been really cool though to say history was made with the first Arizonan elected as president.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
People think there are JOBS here and cheap real estate. That's about it.
Really, thats it? Those reasons alone can still make a city desirable for some people.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I have a right to post on this forum. The OP doesn't-- since his sole purpose here is nothing other than to start trouble. I just spent most of the last four years of my life living in Phoenix (Tempe) and I'm a graduate of ASU. I also have some family in Phoenix. Right now I'm temporarily living in LA. I've never lived in Las Vegas before, smart one. I just like visiting there. Hence the definition of the world "pilgrim."
Assuming you can judge someone's true intent, what are other peoples' intent posting in this thread who don't live here? You can't judge, cause you don't know. And you now live in LA. At least you can comment on something, as you've lived here. Post on.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Really, thats it? Those reasons alone can still make a city desirable for some people.
For some people, yes. However, at least people should realize that is about the only thing this place has going for it - except the wages are low and the real estate prices are high now. (Or were in the past few years, and the jobs are fewer and far between now).

Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
What makes a city desirable? Its opinions, last time I checked Phoenix and Huston are rapidly growing cities
You mean, rapidly growing "suburbs"?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You mean, rapidly growing "suburbs"?
Agreed. Phoenix is no "city" and I intentionally use lower caps, unlike a real City, like New York City. Tis true, this place is nothing more than sprawling suburbs. Although I still do live in a "city" and it's not Phoenix, nor part of Phoenix. It's just a city with lowercaps. Scottsdale at least has no suburbs. Ok, it is a suburb and city at the same time. But it ain't no suburb of Phoenix.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
McCain is not an Arizona native. He has adopted Arizona as his home state. He's from the northern Virginia/ Washington DC area and has probably lived most of his life in that region. Growing up in a military family and being in the military himself he's lived all over the place, really. When he first ran for office in Arizona several decades ago he was accused of being a "carpetbagger." I do think it would have been really cool though to say history was made with the first Arizonan elected as president.
Thanks for the correction, guess I didn't really know his birthplace, but military brats need a place to put down roots.

If Phoenix were barely 100k in 1950, there aren't many adults there that can claim the native status anyway. I know he has been a Senator from AZ for 26 years, that still gives him native son status as a candidate, even if he weren't born there. Obama wasn't born in Illinois either. Reagan wasn't born in California, neither Bush was born in TX, Gore wasn't born in TN, Kerry wasn't born in Mass, you gotta go back to Clinton vs. Dole to find presidential candidates born in the state they represented.

So, should have not said native Arizonian (or do you guys say Arizonan?) but the term native son still applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area