Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM

101 posts, read 295,943 times

Advertisements

If phoenix grew by 35,000 people last year that menas that 35,000 more illegal aliens made it accross the border and past the sheriff. I know that not all the growth comes from illegal immigration but by far the majority of the growth does. Some of it is birth rate and a little from transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
"Greatness" meaning size, importance to global economy, size of economy, diversity, and desirability?

Why did these cities surpass Phoenix, which is on the decline?

Is it the lack of diversity, lack of any walkable neighborhoods, conservatism, no public transport and unfavorable climate with no water? L.A. lacks water too (although eventually they will run out). Is it just simply the lack of a huge and diverse economy like Houston and L.A? Is Phoenix goin to do anything to address quality-of-life issues and catch up to L.A. and Houston which have done a lot in the past 10-20 years to add public transport and create more walkable neighborhoods and clean up pollution? Also, when will Phoenix become more liberal/socially accepting?

Will Phoenix one day "rise from the ashes" - of course they've predicted that with Detroit for like 30 years.
For one, Phoenix was never, ever, ahead of Los Angeles and Houston in "greatness". But I must ask, why come into the Phoenix forum and start mess?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I realize Houston is no NYC, SF or Chicago, but really. At least it does have a respectable downtown, a theatre district and a museum district which are both quite large and prominent.
Theres no argument that Houston does indeed have the better downtown, etc, etc, but....

Nevermind.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
If phoenix grew by 35,000 people last year that menas that 35,000 more illegal aliens made it accross the border and past the sheriff. I know that not all the growth comes from illegal immigration but by far the majority of the growth does. Some of it is birth rate and a little from transplants.
Curse those illegals participating in the Census!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Though I would agree that Phoenix is both cheaper and more family friendly, I have to disagree with your other points.

For starters, having cultural amenities that you can't afford vs. few if any at all is still a losing proposition. Having spent about 14 years in Phoenix and the last 4 in Los Angeles, I find both places not to my liking, but the lifestyles are starkly different. Yes, if you want a suburban, nuclear family lifestyle then Phoenix is going to win, but if you aren't inclined toward that lifestyle then Los Angeles wins hands down.

Secondly, the "racial and cultural balkanization that now characterizes so much of LA" is quite an overstatement. I have friends all over this city (and it is quite a spread out city), and most of us are not even in a middle income bracket, nevermind a high one. Consequently we live in the parts of town that aren't always the "nicest", but we're all surrounded by a blend of Asian, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, African, African-American and Latino people. In my apartment complex we are all friendly and neighborly, and friendly to the people down the street. I live in North Hollywood, so it is an urban area. My friends have expressed similar experiences.

I spent a few years in Phoenix in places that felt a lot less safe than out here. Sure, if you live on the outskirt suburbs of Phoenix you feel quite secure in your newly built little castle, but there are plenty of places around Phoenix that are not as friendly.

I don't know much about Houston save for what I've read, but culturally Los Angeles does beat Phoenix. On the other hand, Phoenix is generally cleaner, calmer and quieter, and that's as much a consequence of population and density...but to suggest that Los Angeles is not diverse and "not pleasant for anyone who lives there" is a complete misrepresentation of modern day L.A.

Just my two pennies...
I have always lived in central Phoenix (vicinity of 7th St and Bethany Home) not the fringes of the Valley. The quality of life in the establisned neighborhoods of the central corridor is better than anything I experienced in So Cal. One have have to have an annual household income north of $1 million in SoCal to approximate what I get living middle class in Phx. Thanks but no thanks.

And I have spend a great deal of time in various parts of LA, Long Beach and Orange County.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM

228 posts, read 594,281 times
In defense of L.A., at least it's a fun place to visit. Tons to see & do there, in terms of dining, entertainment and nightlife there's nothing outside of New York or Vegas that matches it. I'd never want to live there, though, for more reasons than I can list here.

Houston, OTOH, I fail to see the attraction. Any attraction.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM

101 posts, read 295,943 times
Smile I love it!!! Ha!! HA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Curse those illegals participating in the Census!

I love it that this guy is not worried that the illegals are sneaking accross the border. He is instead worried that they are participating in the census. Ha! Ha!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 81,909 times
Quote:
I love it that this guy is not worried that the illegals are sneaking accross the border. He is instead worried that they are participating in the census. Ha! Ha!!
oh boy...

Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
I think you may have missed my point. Why don't you just think about it a little and get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area