Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 PM

23 posts, read 79,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its funny, "fans" of 3 not-so-desireable cities arguing amongst themselves about who's better than who. Theres no shortage of flies on the sh*t pile, thats for sure! lol
i know, i love it. the OP presents the truth and the locals go crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,508 times
More people from Cali/NE are moving to Housotn than to Phoenix.

Most of Phoenix's growth is intra-state, Southerners, and mexicans.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,508 times
It's funny how nobody ever talks about Phoenix. I never really thought about it. I didn't realize people from the place were so sensitive!!!!

People only talk about SF, LA, NY, Chicago, Houston, Boston, maybe DC and Seattle or Denver.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Lol...Maricopa county didn't even go for Obama!
And the bad news is?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
It's funny how nobody ever talks about Phoenix. I never really thought about it. I didn't realize people from the place were so sensitive!!!!
Sometimes it's hard to say anyone is actually from the place at all

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Never been to LA. But I have traveled to both Houston and Phoenix. I liked Phoenix alot better.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
You mean, rapidly growing "suburbs"?
I realize Houston is no NYC, SF or Chicago, but really. At least it does have a respectable downtown, a theatre district and a museum district which are both quite large and prominent.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Los Angeles used to be just like Phoenix. I have a friend who grew up in Los Angeles back in the 50's and 60's and said that she was unhappy with the way the city had grown and how attitudes had changed. She moved to Phoenix 6 months ago and loves it. Houston and Los Angeles are not as nice as Phoenix, especially for families. Plus would you rather have all the cultural conflict in LA over Prop 8 (which LA county voted for), or the comfortable conservatism and family values of Phoenix?
Agreed and what is not being said is Phoenix is by far the easiest place to live.

What good are cultural amenities when it costs every cent one makes just to cover the basics?

Diversity?? Really?? The racial and cultural balkanization that now characterizes so much of LA is not pleasant for anyone that lives there. Nobody feels safe. Thanks but no thanks!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Agreed and what is not being said is Phoenix is by far the easiest place to live.

What good are cultural amenities when it costs every cent one makes just to cover the basics?

Diversity?? Really?? The racial and cultural balkanization that now characterizes so much of LA is not pleasant for anyone that lives there. Nobody feels safe. Thanks but no thanks!
Though I would agree that Phoenix is both cheaper and more family friendly, I have to disagree with your other points.

For starters, having cultural amenities that you can't afford vs. few if any at all is still a losing proposition. Having spent about 14 years in Phoenix and the last 4 in Los Angeles, I find both places not to my liking, but the lifestyles are starkly different. Yes, if you want a suburban, nuclear family lifestyle then Phoenix is going to win, but if you aren't inclined toward that lifestyle then Los Angeles wins hands down.

Secondly, the "racial and cultural balkanization that now characterizes so much of LA" is quite an overstatement. I have friends all over this city (and it is quite a spread out city), and most of us are not even in a middle income bracket, nevermind a high one. Consequently we live in the parts of town that aren't always the "nicest", but we're all surrounded by a blend of Asian, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, African, African-American and Latino people. In my apartment complex we are all friendly and neighborly, and friendly to the people down the street. I live in North Hollywood, so it is an urban area. My friends have expressed similar experiences.

I spent a few years in Phoenix in places that felt a lot less safe than out here. Sure, if you live on the outskirt suburbs of Phoenix you feel quite secure in your newly built little castle, but there are plenty of places around Phoenix that are not as friendly.

I don't know much about Houston save for what I've read, but culturally Los Angeles does beat Phoenix. On the other hand, Phoenix is generally cleaner, calmer and quieter, and that's as much a consequence of population and density...but to suggest that Los Angeles is not diverse and "not pleasant for anyone who lives there" is a complete misrepresentation of modern day L.A.

Just my two pennies...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,470 times
Quote:
Its funny, "fans" of 3 not-so-desireable cities arguing amongst themselves about who's better than who. Theres no shortage of flies on the sh*t pile, thats for sure! lol
For many Chicagoans like you and me Phoenix is quite desirable. Remember Phoenix is less expensive, has lower crime, more laid-back, and has better access to quality public schools (whereas in Chicago you have to have $$$ to buy your way into a top school district.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area