Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
Here is one example of positive flirting and one of negative flirting as I have recently experienced them.

(I am a woman.)

Whole Foods; wine department. A man comes up and stands close but not too close. I was looking at Chardonnays and he said that he had seen me there before. "Oh, it's you again; wine shopping". I didn't think this creepy at all and replied something like probably, because I purchase wine there regularly. I took it that he had noticed me before. He initiated a conversation about oak v butter v tropical styles. This then veered off to French White Burgundies.

I took him to be flirting just based on the chemistry between us. It didn't hurt that he was attractive and attracted to me. There was no touching and no teasing which would definitely not work with me. End result, we have had two lunches and several phone conversations.

One that didn't work: Trader Joe's, in the cheese section. A man with a cart passes me and said "how are you" and I likely replied "fine, and you?". Neither of us stopped still but he paused and said "Much better now that I have seen you!" (Exclamation point intentional.) OK maybe that does not count as a full flirt- I just kept on walking with my cart and that was that.

IMO- 80-90% of the male employees at TJ's flirt- I think it must be in their training manual.
Meh...

Subtlety is a man's best friend.

"TJ" is something I'd probably say to someone I knew, not to someone I have never met. You never know how anyone is going to take anything, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
After reading all these posts it seems flirting is also a guy's role I guess. Anyways, I think these men did it right. Not too pushy or saying something disrespectful. You also had a nice attitude. There are women that can be in the same situations and they give the guy a frowny face, roll their eyes up, or just get angry.
Which is why a lot of guys are resistant to do something like that except maybe in typically socially acceptable places like a bar or club.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:39 PM

813 posts, read 600,628 times
I'm purty handy with the ladies, but you probably don't have the time it takes to grow a mullet so I'll give you some other ideas.

First, think like a stalker. Don't be a stalker, but THINK like one. Where does she hang out when she's not working? What does she like to do when she is with her friends? Once you know this you can work at being at the same places doing the same kind of things (there is a limit to this, if she likes getting bikini waxes with her friends I wouldn't recommend it. It hurts like batsh1t and itches when it grows back, I felt like I had cuckle-burrs in my britches for at least 2 weeks...)

Once you accidently bump into her start up with "Hey, are ya going to the demolition derby Friday?" or some other refined activity that may appeal to the fairer sex. Some towns have fairs and events that are great for casual dates, we have Tater Day. Events like this with crowds of people are good places to get to know each other. I remember my first girlfriend ringing the bell with that big mallet, I still have the teddy bear she won for me... Oh, the good ole days...

Anyway, stop being such a gooch and get out there and try. Sitting on the computer asking for advise from strangers isn't gonna get the girl.

Good luck, Rg

Old 12-21-2016, 02:45 PM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
Here is one example of positive flirting and one of negative flirting as I have recently experienced them.

(I am a woman.)

Whole Foods; wine department. A man comes up and stands close but not too close. I was looking at Chardonnays and he said that he had seen me there before. "Oh, it's you again; wine shopping". I didn't think this creepy at all and replied something like probably, because I purchase wine there regularly. I took it that he had noticed me before. He initiated a conversation about oak v butter v tropical styles. This then veered off to French White Burgundies.

I took him to be flirting just based on the chemistry between us. It didn't hurt that he was attractive and attracted to me. There was no touching and no teasing which would definitely not work with me. End result, we have had two lunches and several phone conversations.

One that didn't work: Trader Joe's, in the cheese section. A man with a cart passes me and said "how are you" and I likely replied "fine, and you?". Neither of us stopped still but he paused and said "Much better now that I have seen you!" (Exclamation point intentional.) OK maybe that does not count as a full flirt- I just kept on walking with my cart and that was that.

IMO- 80-90% of the male employees at TJ's flirt- I think it must be in their training manual.
Did the first guy also happen to be better looking then the second guy you mentioned?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Which is why a lot of guys are resistant to do something like that except maybe in typically socially acceptable places like a bar or club.
Alternately, the guy could be grateful that he dodged a bullet. Better someone shows that they're a jerk right off the bat so he didn't waste much time or effort.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
How do you flirt and take it to the next level without it coming off distespectful or creepy?
You don't. You don't need to do anything.

Just avoid women who think that normal men with a normal interest in women are disrespectful and creepy.

Disrespectful = he doesn't kiss my ass
Creepy = I'm not attracted to him

Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
After reading all these posts it seems flirting is also a guy's role I guess. Anyways, I think these men did it right. Not too pushy or saying something disrespectful. You also had a nice attitude. There are women that can be in the same situations and they give the guy a frowny face, roll their eyes up, or just get angry.
That is why I don't flirt with strangers.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 AM

602 posts, read 395,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fealinz View Post
You don't. You don't need to do anything.

Just avoid women who think that normal men with a normal interest in women are disrespectful and creepy.

Disrespectful = he doesn't kiss my ass
Creepy = I'm not attracted to him
both and

Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I'm purty handy with the ladies, but you probably don't have the time it takes to grow a mullet so I'll give you some other ideas.

First, think like a stalker. Don't be a stalker, but THINK like one. Where does she hang out when she's not working? What does she like to do when she is with her friends? Once you know this you can work at being at the same places doing the same kind of things (there is a limit to this, if she likes getting bikini waxes with her friends I wouldn't recommend it. It hurts like batsh1t and itches when it grows back, I felt like I had cuckle-burrs in my britches for at least 2 weeks...)

Once you accidently bump into her start up with "Hey, are ya going to the demolition derby Friday?" or some other refined activity that may appeal to the fairer sex. Some towns have fairs and events that are great for casual dates, we have Tater Day. Events like this with crowds of people are good places to get to know each other. I remember my first girlfriend ringing the bell with that big mallet, I still have the teddy bear she won for me... Oh, the good ole days...

Anyway, stop being such a gooch and get out there and try. Sitting on the computer asking for advise from strangers isn't gonna get the girl.

Good luck, Rg
Oh my gosh. This was hilarious. +1

Old 12-22-2016, 10:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
both and
I actually agree with him. If a man is nice to a woman and unthreatening towards her and she wants to be rude then she's not worth it. Men and women get once chance to make a good first impression and isn't wise to be a douche to someone who is nice. And before the ladies here attack me with pitchforks being nice doesn't mean sleep with him if you don't want to. Anyone who is rude to someone when they nice and gave them a compliment doesn't deserve one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships