Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,674 times

Advertisements

My husband is 16 years my senior. We have a good strong and happy marriage! (So far anyways). I don't think it makes a difference either way. If you love someone, you love them for who they are, not how old they are...although, I'm just 30 this year and get a kick out of harrassing my husband with OLD jokes! He does too, which makes it fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Well there might be a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Younger men have always been attracted to me and I have always been with younger men, maybe because I have always looked younger. However, now that I am 54, I no longer feel comfortable with seriously younger men, 10-15 years or more. I have been having a phone relationship with a man of 39. We are best friends but after several broken promises about moving out here I have decided to let go. The age difference is tremendous right now. Just the fact that I have been on this earth so much longer and have so much more life experience makes the age difference bigger. When you are older and single, independence makes a great deal of difference. I am not willing to compromise as much. I went out with someone my age and he left a 1.00 tip on a 25.00+ tab and I was mortified. In NC the pickings are slim. I went back to the restaurant and gave the waitress 5.00. Younger men have energy and stamina, older men have life experience. I am having trouble finding someone who is on my level. Age is just a number, true, but I am not willing to be a teacher. Now, at my age, I need someone who is already there...
I don't get older men with younger women. The physical stuff will wear off. My daughter is 31 and her boyfriend is 25 and because of his upbringing, big family, good work ethics and so on, makes this relationship worthwile for her without feeling like she is a babysitter. Everything is dependent on your own self-esteem, intelligence, and desires. Age doesn't matter if you are both on the same page.
Well one thing not discussed is the Older Man <> Younger Woman versus the Younger Man <> Older Woman situation have totally different dynamics.

Some younger men are probably comfortable with older women up to a certain age. You can debate all the reasons. My guess 20's male with 40's females starts to define the upper limits for "Normal" relationships. That is also the limit say 50's when many females start to change in mental outlook.

Plus the two situations are not equal in social acceptance. The older woman will have far more problems openly dating a far younger man. They will wind up saying she is his aunt to deflect a lot of comments. Showing affection in public will draw far more notice. The older woman will get far more criticism from her female peer groups than will an older man with the same age difference. An older man is generally admired by his peers for being successful. Older females will also probably have a much lower glass ceiling in terms of upper age. Older males can probably find willing partners way beyond their physical abilities to function as lovers. aka Strom Thurmond.

My guess is the Older Woman would also have more problems with keeping her partner on the ranch after some period. The females will go thru more major life changes than the males and that fact alone will limit their chances of ever duplicating the success record of the far older males.

You could have a big debate what effect money would have. Money always talks and both sexes of younger ages can be bought.

Last edited by Cosmic; 04-10-2007 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Well one thing not discussed is the Older Man <> Younger Woman versus the Younger Man <> Older Woman situation have totally different dynamics.

Some younger men are probably comfortable with older women up to a certain age. You can debate all the reasons. My guess 20's male with 40's females starts to define the upper limits for "Normal" relationships. That is also the limit say 50's when many females start to change in mental outlook.

Plus the two situations are not equal in social acceptance. The older woman will have far more problems openly dating a far young man. They will wind up saying she is his aunt to deflect a lot of comments. Showing affection in public will draw far more notice. The older woman will get far more criticism from her female peer groups than will an older man with the same age difference. An older man is generally admired by his peers for being successful. Older females will also probably have a much lower glass ceiling in terms of upper age. Older males can probably find willing partners way beyond their physical abilities to function as lovers. aka Strom Thurmond.

My guess is the Older Woman would also have more problems with keeping her partner on the ranch after some period. The females will go thru more major life changes than the males and that fact alone will limit their changes of ever duplicating the success record of the far older males.

You could have a big debate what effect money would have. Money always talks and both sexes of younger ages can be bought.

I never really looked at it like that before. THANK YOU!! It's always nice to see other points of view. Helps me make decisions!! I suppose the same is true in social situations with gay couples.
One thing I DO know, I did not marry my husband for money...he works for the Federal Government so simply put, he's by NO means rich, but I completely understand what you're saying. Rich old guy/ girl, young girl/guy....Makes sense.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
What people haven't really addressed in the older women, younger men scenario is that it can work well until the man decides he wants to find someone to have children with. Freakish science aside (didn't a 65-year-old woman just give birth after lying about her age?), let's face it - women's eggs age, and a 40-year-old woman isn't the best candidate for having a baby. Such a pregnancy is high risk. Biology dictates this scenario for most of us. While I think having an affair with a younger man could work, to think of it as a long term relationship might be nothing more than a fool's game. Now, not everyone wants children... but it is true that women change more as they age (unless they know a great cosmetic surgeon! ), and it's unlikely that such a couple would stay together for 30 or 40 years.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 PM

366 posts, read 386,935 times
Personally more than a couple of years either way wouldn't work for me; I think there's a lot to be said about growing old together. But if it works for other people that's their business.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
5-6 years gap is okay,but 20....impossible for me

Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 AM

62 posts, read 245,745 times
Smile different generations . . . common beliefs

I don't think age matters very much.
My husband and I have a 17 year age difference,
yet a strong relationship built on common beliefs
and values, mutual love and respect and good communication.
That's not to say we haven't had our share of differences.
We come from very unlike backgrounds and
probably would never have met if it hadn't been
for an on-line singles site.
Neither one of us had posted a photo, just truthful
information, and we wrote back and forth for weeks
before we met.
Both of us are intelligent, attractive people who had
been in prior bad marriages.
We share 3 children with one more on the way.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl View Post
I don't think age matters very much.
My husband and I have a 17 year age difference,
yet a strong relationship built on common beliefs
and values, mutual love and respect and good communication.
That's not to say we haven't had our share of differences.
We come from very unlike backgrounds and
probably would never have met if it hadn't been
for an on-line singles site.
Neither one of us had posted a photo, just truthful
information, and we wrote back and forth for weeks
before we met.
Both of us are intelligent, attractive people who had
been in prior bad marriages.
We share 3 children with one more on the way.
I never thought I could marry someone 16 years older than me but I did and it works. Same is true with me...different generations, common beliefs (very good wording btw). Although we didn't meet online, and although it is my first marriage (his second), I knew after our 3rd date he was the one I wanted to marry. I don't think I knew how old he was yet either. Fortunately he looks alot younger so people don't assume he's my dad. It may not work for some, but for others it truly DOES work! We share 5 children with hopes of at least one more.
Thanks for your story!!! Nice to know I'm not alone!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
So long as everyones plumbing still works... it's all good! hehehe...blinks..wut?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,130 times
The working plumbing is not really the issue, it's them darn leaks & clogs , unless your talkin if the old plumin still has enough pressure to make things rise to the next level.

Quote:
There for a minute i thought cosmic was going to get into the relationship of the laws of gravity & how it effects the body of old age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships