Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 02:59 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What I find strange about this, back when Jesus walked the earth, he had to show proof of who he claimed to be quite often, and even his disciples always wanted more proof, another miracle healing, etc etc. and Jesus did all kind of crazy supernatural things, raising people from the dead, healing them on the spot, etc and people still didnt believe him...

...And yet 2000+yrs later, God expects the people now to believe without any proof?? Why did he think this would happen when people living at the time of Jesus didnt believe it... when they saw it first hand?!!

Its also strange to me that Jesus was willing to demonstrate his abilities to back up his claim to the people back then, but he will not do the same today?

If he really wanted people to believe in him with faith, why did he even perform any miracles when he walked the earth? Why didnt he demand those people JUST believe and JUST have faith he is who he claims to be, without any proof or supernatural acts?
If you want to believe in me, I first have to believe in me. In other words, Jesus believed He was the Son of God. No question about that. Now he needed the disciples to believe in Him. That's why he did the miracles. They all got to a point where they believed He was God, just as Jesus believed He is God.

Now, they went out and started spreading the gospel. They preached and lived and believed what they were proclaiming to the point that they died for their faith.

That's a principle. He got to believe in what you sale before you can sale it effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
If you want to believe in me, I first have to believe in me. In other words, Jesus believed He was the Son of God. No question about that. Now he needed the disciples to believe in Him. That's why he did the miracles. They all got to a point where they believed He was God, just as Jesus believed He is God.

Now, they went out and started spreading the gospel. They preached and lived and believed what they were proclaiming to the point that they died for their faith.

That's a principle. He got to believe in what you sale before you can sale it effectively.
God believed he was God so that meant he could do miracles?

Old 05-14-2018, 03:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
If there IS a god, that knows everything including if I am going to heaven or hell before I am born, what difference would it make if omnigod has me slated for hell?

Nothing I can do to change omnigods mind, right?
Knowing where you'll end up and controlling where you'll end up are two different things. He knows where you'll end up because of the choices you'll make just like I know that if you walk off a cliff, you'll fall to the ground.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

But I do have a question for you - what other alternative proofs and evidences you think should’ve been available besides “The Book”?
How does the message of God reach those who cannot read, write or hear or speak or cannot comprehend any language or even think ?

Old 05-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
How does the message of God reach those who cannot read, write or hear or speak or cannot comprehend any language or even think ?
It doesn't.

Romans 10:14-17 "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?3 And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15*And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16*But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17*So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Not sure if Budhism relates to OP as Budhism does not seem to worry too much about proof and evidence of God’s existence. The OP seems to relate to Abrahamic faiths but please do enlighten us in a short summary.

Is there a concept of God in Budhism who created you?
If yes, what’s the purpose of your life that budhist God created you for ?
If you know the purpose of your creation by the Budhist God, how did the message of your God came to you? Through “a book” or by verbal Chinese gossip?
And finally, in Budhism, what’s after death?

Where you came from, what’s the purpose of your life, and where are you going from here? Plz answer in the light of Buddhism.
Most of these questions can be answered in one word - PARENTS.

Bappie keeps saying God chose him, you say you got the message and pheta gives his pitch. This "chosen" thing is decided by accident and to whom we are born to. The Religion was shoved upon us by the family , when we had no idea about what we were doing. And later you use that faith, intelligence or logic afterwards to convince others that you or your path is right.

But my real question is, do we need that "message" to love or be kind??

Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Bappie keeps saying God chose him, you say you got the message and pheta gives his pitch. This "chosen" thing is decided by accident and to whom we are born to. The Religion was shoved upon us by the family , when we had no idea about what we were doing. And later you use that faith, intelligence or logic afterwards to convince others that you or your path is right.

In a word: Yes.

Take a hard look at the world. People are not naturally nice. They're mean. Our hearts are naturally wicked...it's who we are.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

Of course not. Animals show love and kindness and none of them have read a bible or Koran.

Fundies, whether Christian or Muslim, at least realize they have no inner moral compass like the rest of us. They need theirs imposed by a scary god-thing.

Weird that they brag about it.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It doesn't.

Romans 10:14-17 "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?3 And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15*And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16*But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17*So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."
Thanks ,my question was about people with disabilities than non believers . They need assistance more than the message.

Where I come from, there are several Church based hospitals and schools which exclusively work/serve with disabled people and I am tahnkful for them.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
This is an absurd basis. If there is no afterlife or god, you won't fnd out anything. Good thing is : you won't even know it
Fair enough.
However I still have those as my last thoughts that I tried to live a good and peaceful life - before the curtain falls on my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality