Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times

Advertisements

As a country mouse coming to the big city from Northern Indiana in the late 70's, Marshall Fields at Christmas time was a total delight for me. Good memories!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 AM

I had a blood draw at a satellite lab this morning for my annual physical next week. They were closed until last Friday with no power and then no working AC for two weeks after Irma. They were back to normal and are catching up.

I noticed the last time I was there and today, how hard today's world is to navigate for some. There are electronic kiosks in the lab to check in with, not a problem for most, but quite confusing for some of the elderly. After voicing frustration and saying the thing didn't work, the receptionist helped an elderly man navigate the screen. His frustration was probably more from having to ask for help than anything else,

I feel so sympathetic for these people, it's one more thing to make them feel irrelevant, incompetent. old and useless. There was a survey from the lab in my inbox before I got home. I took it and in the comments wrote about my concern for elderly patients and the lab's kiosk system and how important it is to have a receptionist to assist people. When the generation ahead is gone, this may not be a problem, but that's the future, not now when people still need help. Businesses doing more with less and forcing people to comply with things they don't understand is a real disservice currently.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:48 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Yeah, they have those self check-in kiosks at the facility I go to as well. I am quiet techhy and have no trouble using them . . . except if I owe a co-pay I have to go stand in the check-in line anyway so what's the point.

Now that I have no co-pays I might have a go at them again, except consider how dirty those touchscreens could be after all those various people have used them. So I think they're not for me.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, they have those self check-in kiosks at the facility I go to as well. I am quiet techhy and have no trouble using them . . . except if I owe a co-pay I have to go stand in the check-in line anyway so what's the point.

Now that I have no co-pays I might have a go at them again, except consider how dirty those touchscreens could be after all those various people have used them. So I think they're not for me.
This lab's receptionist will assist people in using the kiosk, they do not check people in. The phlebotomist verifies all insurance and script info and collects the co-pays before the draw in their assigned room. I commented to the tech that they certainly do it all in their job. She answered quite diplomatically and professionally that it's a system the corporation thinks is the most effiecient. I rated her as excellent on the survey.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:13 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I had a blood draw at a satellite lab this morning for my annual physical next week. They were closed until last Friday with no power and then no working AC for two weeks after Irma. They were back to normal and are catching up.

I noticed the last time I was there and today, how hard today's world is to navigate for some. There are electronic kiosks in the lab to check in with, not a problem for most, but quite confusing for some of the elderly. After voicing frustration and saying the thing didn't work, the receptionist helped an elderly man navigate the screen. His frustration was probably more from having to ask for help than anything else,

I feel so sympathetic for these people, it's one more thing to make them feel irrelevant, incompetent. old and useless. There was a survey from the lab in my inbox before I got home. I took it and in the comments wrote about my concern for elderly patients and the lab's kiosk system and how important it is to have a receptionist to assist people. When the generation ahead is gone, this may not be a problem, but that's the future, not now when people still need help. Businesses doing more with less and forcing people to comply with things they don't understand is a real disservice currently.
I love that you notice and try to do something about things that make situations difficult for some other people, even when they may not affect you in the same way--thank you!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
I love that you notice and try to do something about things that make situations difficult for some other people, even when they may not affect you in the same way--thank you!
Thank you. I always enjoyed working with older patients, although it could be heart-breaking at times too. Before work became more efficient and I wasn't chained to the scanner, I liked to take a break and help elderly patients that couldn't remember which level they parked on. It was amazing how confused a parking garage with a elevator can be.

I always kept in mind how I would want my parents to be treated in similar situations.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:51 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

I get a little flustered with the self-checkouts at the store sometimes. They can be pushy at times.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I get a little flustered with the self-checkouts at the store sometimes. They can be pushy at times.

I agree! I answer them very firmly.

jean, when I read your post about being at the satellite lab I thought "my goodness. People I know are in space. I've got to start watching the news!"

seriously.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
A vent-ful day. The bank I've been using for several months has been nothing but a headache. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've phoned them, emailed them regarding the problems. Trying to work online with my checking account....... could NOT log in, so many times. Kept being told my log in info was nothing they had that matched their info on me. Changed my password many times. I'm switching to a bank that has been around a long time and I was a client of their many years ago.

Second one is... bought a new TracFone smart phone from HSN. It came in the mail yesterday. Trying to activate it. hahahaha Took it to a wireless store that I have gone to before and they had always been able to help me with my problems, not this time.

Things that should take a small amount of time are taking the whole darned day.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post

I haven't had the guts to go through the self check-out line in grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement