Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Yep, here in Iowa, most farmers are upset with Trump but will still vote for him, especially the big Ag producers

I just read something online that startled me. I'm not really well informed about these things, but I wonder what you and others think about this. Can this actually be done? Is it a legal thing? Can they really affect an election?

"As more GOP challengers line up against Trump, Republican parties in four states cancel their primaries, caucuses."

I am not a fan of DJT.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I just read something online that startled me. I'm not really well informed about these things, but I wonder what you and others think about this. Can this actually be done? Is it a legal thing? Can they really affect an election?

"As more GOP challengers line up against Trump, Republican parties in four states cancel their primaries, caucuses."

I am not a fan of DJT.

It's legal but I think it's chicken shyte. It just guarantees that Trump will get the nomination if there's nobody else on the ballot. It's been done before and I don't think it should be allowed.

(Probably shouldn't be talking politics here)

Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

It is time for me to start stocking up an Little Debbies oatmeal snack cakes for Halloween. I hope that someone will run a good sale on them as I need about 40 boxes. The kids seem to like them as they are something different from the usual Halloween treats and the parents appreciate that they are individually wrapped.

I LOVE those! You mean the ones by Little Debbie with the cream filling? I LOVE THOSE!

Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I got back from a four day mini-road trip to the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area. The weather was absolutely gorgeous ... warm but not humid.

The only person I ever met in person here at the city-data forums is a guy who went by the name of Pittston2Sarasota. His real name I will not divulge, but let's call him Wally. Wally was originally from Pittston but moved to Sarasota Florida about 20 years ago. He is about 57 or 58 I think. Slender, attractive man, and very bright - interested in science and astronomy. Never logged into this forum - and now they don't log into city-data anymore. Wally lives with his husband who is about 10 years older, Eddie. Both really nice guys. They moved to Florida and they loved it for many years, but in time soured on it. I think the biggest problem is that they did not have a car and neither drive. They also thought a lot of the Sarasotans were snobs ... stuck up. So they decided to move back to Pittston a few years ago and bought a house - much larger than what they need - sight unseen. They lucked out. It's one of those 1920's "Arts & Crafts" bungalow type houses with 5 bedrooms and three floors. They have two cats. The best part is the house is up on a hill and the views from their front porch is nothing short of magnificent! The historic little downtown area beneath them, then the winding broad Susquehanna River in the middle ground, and the Appalachian Mountains behind in the background. I tell Wally his front porch has a "million dollar view!"

Eddie is having health issues and doesn't like to leave the house. Wally and I went for a drive in my new car and for him it was a real treat. I treated him to lunch in a very upscale restaurant in downtown Scranton, just off the 19th Century lobby of the priciest hotel in town.

I find taking road trips delightful. I don't mind driving long distances ... I find it relaxing. Often I will get off the highway and take the back-roads, In fact, in early August when I drove out to Johnstown, I took Route 30 - the Old Lincoln Highway (a famous early motorway similar to Route 66) through Shanksville, Chambersburg, Gettysburg, York, Lancaster, etc. It ends in Philly just about a mile from my house.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 AM

119 posts, read 85,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I got back from a four day mini-road trip to the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area. The weather was absolutely gorgeous ... warm but not humid.

The only person I ever met in person here at the city-data forums is a guy who went by the name of Pittston2Sarasota. His real name I will not divulge, but let's call him Wally. Wally was originally from Pittston but moved to Sarasota Florida about 20 years ago. He is about 57 or 58 I think. Slender, attractive man, and very bright - interested in science and astronomy. Never logged into this forum - and now they don't log into city-data anymore. Wally lives with his husband who is about 10 years older, Eddie. Both really nice guys. They moved to Florida and they loved it for many years, but in time soured on it. I think the biggest problem is that they did not have a car and neither drive. They also thought a lot of the Sarasotans were snobs ... stuck up. So they decided to move back to Pittston a few years ago and bought a house - much larger than what they need - sight unseen. They lucked out. It's one of those 1920's "Arts & Crafts" bungalow type houses with 5 bedrooms and three floors. They have two cats. The best part is the house is up on a hill and the views from their front porch is nothing short of magnificent! The historic little downtown area beneath them, then the winding broad Susquehanna River in the middle ground, and the Appalachian Mountains behind in the background. I tell Wally his front porch has a "million dollar view!"

Eddie is having health issues and doesn't like to leave the house. Wally and I went for a drive in my new car and for him it was a real treat. I treated him to lunch in a very upscale restaurant in downtown Scranton, just off the 19th Century lobby of the priciest hotel in town.

I find taking road trips delightful. I don't mind driving long distances ... I find it relaxing. Often I will get off the highway and take the back-roads, In fact, in early August when I drove out to Johnstown, I took Route 30 - the Old Lincoln Highway (a famous early motorway similar to Route 66) through Shanksville, Chambersburg, Gettysburg, York, Lancaster, etc. It ends in Philly just about a mile from my house.
What a fun trip! Have the leaves started to turn yet?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Thunderstorms and rain most of the night. Forecast for tonight in the 30's. May have to light the fireplace.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Thunderstorms and rain most of the night. Forecast for tonight in the 30's. May have to light the fireplace.
Too bad we couldn't split the difference

ATM, it's 91(F), Dew point 70. Oddly the humidity is only 49% - it's always higher when the dewpoint is that high.

Low tonight will be 70(F). Our low tonight is just a few degrees below what the high should be

My horses have a good start on their winter fur. They will need showered down tonight, to get the sweat off and to cool them down, then stuck in their stalls with big barrel fans aimed at them.

A consistent ~20 or so degrees (F) above average is rough in all of us this time of year. The only good thing is that the days are shorter.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Took a ride today up on the plateau. Went over to Crossville (about 35 miles) to an apple orchard. Got some Jonagold, Mutsu and trying a new one, Shizuka. Stopped at an Amish store on the way back for lunch and a couple of things; then drove a pretty back road down the plateau and home. Nice way to get out of the house for a bit.

Looks like apple pie this weekend and baked apple pancake for breakfast on Sunday!

Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,197 times
It's 79 right now. Supposed to rain all morning tomorrow. Not much new here. Been helping Mrs. BJW with her canning and pickling.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
38 and sunshine this morning, had a great sunrise walk with the dog. Supposed to be around 60 today going trout fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement