U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-26-2015, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So sorry to hear that DesertBrat.

Thanks Clem. I wasn't expecting this, for sure. But, do we ever?

 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
.............


I also got a call just after 4 AM informing me that my sister, in South Dakota, passed away. I had planned to call her this afternoon and now I'm sorry I didn't call her yesterday when I was thinking about her! All three of her kids live there, and most of her grandkids, but wish I could be there for them too. I went up there in Mar. of 2014 because they thought she wasn't going to make it and she's been in a nursing home ever since. So, not a happy day but we'll get through it. Strange thing is I woke up at the exact same time she passed away and my nephew called me 20 min. later to let me know.
I am sorry for you and many others who have experienced the death of a loved one at a holiday time. I believe that subsequent Thanksgivings will have that remembrance of loss permanently attached.

Your post reminded me of a 13-year-old student whose mother died a few days before Thanksgiving. The call came into school in the morning and an administrator released me to go over to the house. The boy had discovered his mother dead - the two of them lived alone and she was an alcoholic. He went to live with an adult sister, but I accompanied them to make the funeral arrangements and then assisted him through the next months. At Christmas I bought him a bicycle. That was a long time ago and the boy has been an adult for a long time now. He kept in touch with me for a few years, but I lost track of him some time ago, as the adult sister lived some 50 or 60 miles away. I do remember how dreary that Thanksgiving was for me - I was not with the boy and his adult sister, but with friends of my own, yet I was oppressed with his grief that I was somehow sharing.

Some life experiences stay with us indelibly and that is one of mine. I remember many details about it. The funeral was held on a dreary, rainy day which added to the gloom. I could still locate the mother's final resting place easily, even though the cemetery is a large one.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM
 
6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Reputation: 13732
My father died on December 5, 1995. We spent that Thanksgiving in the hospital with him. He had advanced bone cancer - no remission. We went out to eat at a local place in shifts. We didn't want to leave him alone.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I am sorry for you and many others who have experienced the death of a loved one at a holiday time. I believe that subsequent Thanksgivings will have that remembrance of loss permanently attached.

Your post reminded me of a 13-year-old student whose mother died a few days before Thanksgiving. The call came into school in the morning and an administrator released me to go over to the house. The boy had discovered his mother dead - the two of them lived alone and she was an alcoholic. He went to live with an adult sister, but I accompanied them to make the funeral arrangements and then assisted him through the next months. At Christmas I bought him a bicycle. That was a long time ago and the boy has been an adult for a long time now. He kept in touch with me for a few years, but I lost track of him some time ago, as the adult sister lived some 50 or 60 miles away. I do remember how dreary that Thanksgiving was for me - I was not with the boy and his adult sister, but with friends of my own, yet I was oppressed with his grief that I was somehow sharing.

Some life experiences stay with us indelibly and that is one of mine. I remember many details about it. The funeral was held on a dreary, rainy day which added to the gloom. I could still locate the mother's final resting place easily, even though the cemetery is a large one.

Thanks, ER. What a sad story but I know what you mean. It was good of you to help that boy and his sister. It'll be one year, on Dec. 19th, since my mom passed away too. It's bad enough to lose a close family member but being the holidays just seems to be so unfair.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My father died on December 5, 1995. We spent that Thanksgiving in the hospital with him. He had advanced bone cancer - no remission. We went out to eat at a local place in shifts. We didn't want to leave him alone.

We did the same with my granddad. Nobody wanted him to be alone so we also did the 'shift' thing.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Well, I went to work. They sent me home. I guess I don't look so good or something. Didn't even clock in. I know I was wondering how I was going to deal with all the hearty "Happy Thanksgiving" stuff. The joint was jumping too so I hope I didn't mess up the scheduling too much.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on CD. I spent most of yesterday cooking and baking too. Made two pies...cherry and apple...stuffing, cranberry-orange sauce and roasted the turkey. I have to work 9-2 today and the turkey only took three hours so couldn't let it roast while I was at work. Still have to finish up the sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy but that's about it. I don't know if I'm having company or not yet but it's okay either way.


I also got a call just after 4 AM informing me that my sister, in South Dakota, passed away. I had planned to call her this afternoon and now I'm sorry I didn't call her yesterday when I was thinking about her! All three of her kids live there, and most of her grandkids, but wish I could be there for them too. I went up there in Mar. of 2014 because they thought she wasn't going to make it and she's been in a nursing home ever since. So, not a happy day but we'll get through it. Strange thing is I woke up at the exact same time she passed away and my nephew called me 20 min. later to let me know.

I am so sorry to read of your loss! Even when we know it is coming, it is still a shock and catches us off guard. I am glad your sister's kids/grandkids were there for her as they no doubt had been all along.

If you are able, I hope you can enjoy your family today. I must admit, I drooled a bit when you mentioned the pies you made!
 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, I went to work. They sent me home. I guess I don't look so good or something. Didn't even clock in. I know I was wondering how I was going to deal with all the hearty "Happy Thanksgiving" stuff. The joint was jumping too so I hope I didn't mess up the scheduling too much.
With the loss you have just suffered, please don't worry too much about the work schedule. I would be willing to bet they will get along just fine.

Concentrate on yourself. You have a heavy burden to carry for a while..... will you be able to attend her funeral?
 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
My mother passed on December 20, 1997. I was the only family member who was there before her surgery, during surgery, after surgery. And only family to attend her funeral. It was a very sad and difficult time.
 
Old 11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Hello everyone! I want to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving! Our computer has died so I may not be on here as often until we get things fixed up. Our day here in AZ will be a quiet one; I can't really leave for a long time as I am taking care of my mom. No Turkey this year as our oven isn't working. But I have a l roast in the crock pot. Things will work out. I have so many things to be grateful for, # 1 being the medicine that keeps me alive each day, without that death would come pretty fast. I am thankful did freedom, and our families and friends and pets......

Have a nice day, and save travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on CD. I spent most of yesterday cooking and baking too. Made two pies...cherry and apple...stuffing, cranberry-orange sauce and roasted the turkey. I have to work 9-2 today and the turkey only took three hours so couldn't let it roast while I was at work. Still have to finish up the sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy but that's about it. I don't know if I'm having company or not yet but it's okay either way.


I also got a call just after 4 AM informing me that my sister, in South Dakota, passed away. I had planned to call her this afternoon and now I'm sorry I didn't call her yesterday when I was thinking about her! All three of her kids live there, and most of her grandkids, but wish I could be there for them too. I went up there in Mar. of 2014 because they thought she wasn't going to make it and she's been in a nursing home ever since. So, not a happy day but we'll get through it. Strange thing is I woke up at the exact same time she passed away and my nephew called me 20 min. later to let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My father died on December 5, 1995. We spent that Thanksgiving in the hospital with him. He had advanced bone cancer - no remission. We went out to eat at a local place in shifts. We didn't want to leave him alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I am sorry for you and many others who have experienced the death of a loved one at a holiday time. I believe that subsequent Thanksgivings will have that remembrance of loss permanently attached.

Your post reminded me of a 13-year-old student whose mother died a few days before Thanksgiving. The call came into school in the morning and an administrator released me to go over to the house. The boy had discovered his mother dead - the two of them lived alone and she was an alcoholic. He went to live with an adult sister, but I accompanied them to make the funeral arrangements and then assisted him through the next months. At Christmas I bought him a bicycle. That was a long time ago and the boy has been an adult for a long time now. He kept in touch with me for a few years, but I lost track of him some time ago, as the adult sister lived some 50 or 60 miles away. I do remember how dreary that Thanksgiving was for me - I was not with the boy and his adult sister, but with friends of my own, yet I was oppressed with his grief that I was somehow sharing.

Some life experiences stay with us indelibly and that is one of mine. I remember many details about it. The funeral was held on a dreary, rainy day which added to the gloom. I could still locate the mother's final resting place easily, even though the cemetery is a large one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, I went to work. They sent me home. I guess I don't look so good or something. Didn't even clock in. I know I was wondering how I was going to deal with all the hearty "Happy Thanksgiving" stuff. The joint was jumping too so I hope I didn't mess up the scheduling too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
With the loss you have just suffered, please don't worry too much about the work schedule. I would be willing to bet they will get along just fine.

Concentrate on yourself. You have a heavy burden to carry for a while..... will you be able to attend her funeral?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
My mother passed on December 20, 1997. I was the only family member who was there before her surgery, during surgery, after surgery. And only family to attend her funeral. It was a very sad and difficult time.

So sad. Hugs and blessings to us all.

Today was the day that my late step dad (RIP Sept. 12 2012) and my mom jetted to Vegas to have a goth vampire marriage. It was their second ceremony. They were so in love. The full moon aleays reminds me of him (their love fantasy was that he was the Count, a vamp, and she was his Nina.) I always look up and say 'Fly high, my Count.' Best Dad I ever had. And I've had three. (Yeah, Mom gets around.)

She visits a friend in Miami for TG. And to get her will notarized. It seems that the new BF wrote himself into her will as the executor of the estate. They are breaking up. She has been skating down to the MIA apartment and secretly absconding with her things.

I have been a nervous wreck for the past five weeks that this has been happening. along with Flonase/Zyrtec/Asteline anxiety withdrawal. If anyone out there is using that stuff PLEASE stop. Anxiety through the roof. I may have to buy stock in Seagrams. Thatnk you VO. It literally takes me all day to get calm.

Made the turkey breast, cornbread and potatoes but ran out of gas. Of course, no appetite. Thank you Ensure.

Passing the love. So sorry AZDBrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top