Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 03:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
But with an elderly, sometimes frail population in this apartment building, why aren't the building managers taught that they need to explain what they are doing.

Because they don't care. I've been told "you're just a renter" more times than I can count.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
A few landlords use excuses and opportunities such as fire detector/alarm battery replacement to investigate the condition of each apartment and to look for an unreported pet for which a special security fee has not been paid, or to look for an extra person living in the apartment, or to look for unusual conditions or damage.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Because they don't care. I've been told "you're just a renter" more times than I can count.

I think you are right, Jim. We don't count. It's becoming an epidemic.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,701 times
Oh my. I don't know if any of you have seen the aftermath of the deadly Greyhound Bus crash just over the AZ border in New Mexico. Terrible. Please say a prayer for those involved and for the First Responders.

This morning was a somber morning for my husband and I as we watched the John McCain memorial service live here in Phoenix. It was quite a service. I was okay until the Brophy [a local Catholic high school where two of the McCain sons went to high school] Boys Choir sang the song "Arizona", originally sung by Rex Allen, Jr. in 1969 or so. When they sang that song, it brought me to tears.

Jim -- I hope when the timing is right, you can find a home you will like better.

NYgal -- I hope things will work out better for your at your Apt building. Somehow things will work out.

Labor Day Weekend will be quiet for us. Just regular chores and church on Sunday. When I was a child, we went away to an old-fashioned American plan resort in Berrien Springs, MI with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins on Labor Day Weekend. We were all the perfect age and had a blast. That resort has closed now; and it just remains a wonderful memory. I had always hoped that when I grew up, I could create fun memories like that for our children. But times changed, and I was a working mother with no extra days off or extra $$$'s. But I'm glad I have the memories.

I hope you all have a pleasant weekend.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
I sat out on the front steps for a bit this evening. Wanted to see if there any fireflies still around. Had a few last week but nothing at all tonight. Guess they are finished for the year.

Looks like summer is finally winding down. Final concerts in the park are on Sunday and Monday night. Last blossom fell off of the Franklin tree today and I have been seeing a golden leaf come down from the tulip poplars in back now and then. About another month and the hummingbirds will all be gone on their southern trip. Looking forward to turning off the air conditioning until the spring and getting the windows open all day.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
It’s been heavy rains every afternoon, sunny mornings though. Welcome to rainy season in FL! The next three weeks are the most active for hurricanes and things are heating up in the Atlantic so I’m staying aware of what’s going on. Not following slavishly like last year though, I learned my lesson.

HollyhockGarden, Berrien Springs was a flashback for me. We lived in northern Indiana as young adults and went to the all vegetarian Apple Valley market there to stock up. What a great store. I haven’t thought of that place in years, thanks for the memory!

I signed up for a silk scarf painting one day class at the community center for next week that looks fun. I also signed up for a three hour course once a week for ten weeks at an aquarium/marine research lab in Sarasota. It starts mid-September. One of our Christmas presents for the grandkids has been a week day camp there in the summer. I saw this adult ed class listing and realized I have been sending the grandkids there because it’s what I wanted to do all along.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:00 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Very special memorial service at the Baptist Church. I hope the McCain family has the energy for all the rest

I was wondering too how they can handle so much public stuff when they are grieving. I guess it's part of being in a political family.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
I think Cindy is doing ok so far, but Meghan definitely is not. Another tearful ceremony today at the US capitol. Trump's absense is definitely noticeable.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:55 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I think Cindy is doing ok so far, but Meghan definitely is not. Another tearful ceremony today at the US capitol. Trump's absense is definitely noticeable.

You are right, Meghan is having a very hard time. She and her father were very close.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:22 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
I am feeling even MORE overwhelmed by all the ripe apples from all the apple trees here - FIVE mature trees full of apples. I know I've mentioned this before but it feels like the month of September has ushered in an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to apples - and pears - the pear tree out back is full of hundreds of small but tasty ripe pears. I am going to bake an apple pie today and make a pear flan tomorrow - pathetic gestures in the face of my current apple/pear onslaught!

I guess I could have worse problems, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement