Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times

Advertisements

Just caught up to Wisteria's post -after I wrote mine. She's a good writer. I guess I was surprised that she was afraid she'd have no one in Las Cruces, if she moved there. I reminded her that I'm ready to be there as soon as others are. Literally, I can have my trailer moved there within a month. I just said I'm really enjoying Yuma, considering the cheap annual space rent ($2100), and the pool, and weather. I certainly enjoy it here, and the fact that it's already set up, with cheap rent. But, I still value 'the community thing', so if someone's planning on moving to Las Cruces, just tell me when, and I'll be happy to move. I, unlike Wisteria, feel so fortunate to have ALL GOOD options available!
Oh, but my annual rent starts in November, so I'd hate to pay for a year, and then find out someone's moving there in March. I'd have to wait out till the following year, considering it's pre-paid.
Is anyone out there seriously considering a move to that area? Within the next year? I haven't been following lately, and I must admit I skip over the ones dealing with the practical financial options.
mmhere: I think you've been drumming up interest in the 'community' housing options. We've all discussed this so many times, which is why this forum attracts us, and I'm still game. I just don't get the sense anybody's really able to do much right now. Also, trying to generate enough interest in a particular location is so difficult. And of course, we've considered how fun it would be to have a 'winter' location, as well as a 'summer' location. mmhere: How close are you to moving, and how serious are you about making forum friends become a real community? (like i say, I haven't been following as close as I should, so forgive me)

Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Dancing Peppers at the Santa Fe Farmers' Market? Works for me! I love Santa Fe. Went there for a vacation and wouldn't mind going back for a visit.
My parents had a house in Desert Hot Springs, near Palm Springs, in Southern California and I spent a lot of time there on vacations. I do enjoy the desert in small doses in the winter.
I can offer a guest room in the cool green of East Tennessee when things get too hot out West.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM

121 posts, read 292,456 times
Default Forget about California

Before anyone decides to take advantage of the outragous deals on housing to be had in Riverside County or the Stockton area, in the perfect climate State of California, keep in mind that California now has the highest overall taxes in the US, with the exception of property tax (1% of purchase price + whatever Mello-Roos are assesed depending where you buy which can increase property tax by .8%) . California is facing a huge budget deficet. In order to correct that, our Governor, (Arnold S.) and the rest of our representitives have passed a sales tax increase, from 7.75% to 8.75%, with some counties such as LA adding an additional 1 %, some places it has gone up to 10.75%! Also, earned income over $45000.00 will be taxed at 11.00%. (from 10% previously) Our vehicle registration has just been increased by 10 % (a 2000 Tacoma worth $8000.00 now costs $118.00 to renew annual registration), seniors can no longer defer property taxes, and the list goes on. More new taxes to come. This information is not yet available on City-data since it just went into affect on April 1, 2009 (and that's no April Fools Joke!). Did I mention the new tax on small business? And California is still going in the hole! Government costs are increasing an average of 10% annually...Schools, prisons, law enforcement, social welfare programs are eating up the states' revenues faster then revenues are coming in. Medical programs are being cut, and there's no end in sight! Did I mention 8.5% unemployment and climbing? It's expected to reach 12.5% before the recession ends! So much for the "Golden State"!
Fairwinds

Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Wisteria--I also wrote a long response to your last post and lost it. Then I tried to rep you and hit a key and it disappeared--that odd post that ended in the middle of a sentence was me! I assume you got it since it said I couldn't rep again. I give up. Thanks for posting--I was pretty frustrated this week with my boss and this rat race lifestyle and I felt hopeful after reading your post. I'm going to do more research. Hang in there.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
mmhere - I think the Seattle area or the Pacific Northwest would be fabulous for retirement. It has a beautiful freshness to it. Also, there are areas that are not as expensive as Seattle itself. Bellingham looks fun, Port Townsend is a favorite of many - but there are also nice communities a bit more inland, too.

As for the weather, everything is relative - and from my perspective the weather is quite nice - never too hot or too cold. We actually go to Seattle to get out of the constant wet grayness! Most people I know that have moved to that area - and there are a lot of them - love the spring, summers and fall especially.

Re Portland - some people live just over the bridge in Vancouver, Wa because it is less expensive.

I liked the idea of converting a house into separate living units. There are a couple of big old houses here that were divided into legally separate units years ago - people love it and there are always people willing to fill the slot when someone wants to sell out. My friends have talked of doing a similar thing, or buying a piece of land and building "cottage" houses - however, most of them are settled in their own home and when push comes to shove they do not want to change that. Others are hesitant to invest here as they plan to move ...to... Washington or Oregon .

Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Before anyone decides to take advantage of the outragous deals on housing to be had in Riverside County or the Stockton area, in the perfect climate State of California, keep in mind that California now has the highest overall taxes in the US, with the exception of property tax (1% of purchase price + whatever Mello-Roos are assesed depending where you buy which can increase property tax by .8%) . California is facing a huge budget deficet. In order to correct that, our Governor, (Arnold S.) and the rest of our representitives have passed a sales tax increase, from 7.75% to 8.75%, with some counties such as LA adding an additional 1 %, some places it has gone up to 10.75%! Also, earned income over $45000.00 will be taxed at 11.00%. (from 10% previously) Our vehicle registration has just been increased by 10 % (a 2000 Tacoma worth $8000.00 now costs $118.00 to renew annual registration), seniors can no longer defer property taxes, and the list goes on. More new taxes to come. This information is not yet available on City-data since it just went into affect on April 1, 2009 (and that's no April Fools Joke!). Did I mention the new tax on small business? And California is still going in the hole! Government costs are increasing an average of 10% annually...Schools, prisons, law enforcement, social welfare programs are eating up the states' revenues faster then revenues are coming in. Medical programs are being cut, and there's no end in sight! Did I mention 8.5% unemployment and climbing? It's expected to reach 12.5% before the recession ends! So much for the "Golden State"!
Fairwinds

Fairwinds, You've really nailed why I'm freaked out about my future! It's like the song "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" by Martha and the Vandellas (for my 60th birthday, my sister sent me one of those birthday cards that has the recording in it when you open it...that song!!)

The states are in a dire fiscal mess. My state is unveiling its budget soon, w promises of shocking cuts. Who knows when SS is going to be on the block? The biggest problem for "seniors" is that we're beyond our peak earning years (some of us never got to peak, as we were always rather underemployed)...if our property taxes are what they are now and will be next year, what will they be in 5 or 10 years as each year the states fall deeper and deeper into the hole? Not only prop owners with steadily rising taxes but renters whose rents will be directly affected are going to suffer

Any place that's "desirable" on the E or W coasts are going to probably have the fasted rising costs. Also all the "lifestyle" locations. My thought is to find some very plain place that people are NOT flocking too for jobs, lifestyle or retirement. It may not be a place that that has a Starbucks or Whole Foods, or much artsy stuff going on. Ideally a place w no schools!! LOL I was actually thinking about creating a town for elders that has no schools within its borders....now that would keep prop taxes down!!!

So if anyone knows about a nice little unassuming place in the USA where the living is modest and the costs are low, please post!

And good luck in CA....whatever happens on the W coast always moves East!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
mmhere - I think the Seattle area or the Pacific Northwest would be fabulous for retirement. It has a beautiful freshness to it. Also, there are areas that are not as expensive as Seattle itself. Bellingham looks fun, Port Townsend is a favorite of many - but there are also nice communities a bit more inland, too.

As for the weather, everything is relative - and from my perspective the weather is quite nice - never too hot or too cold. We actually go to Seattle to get out of the constant wet grayness! Most people I know that have moved to that area - and there are a lot of them - love the spring, summers and fall especially.

Re Portland - some people live just over the bridge in Vancouver, Wa because it is less expensive.

I liked the idea of converting a house into separate living units. There are a couple of big old houses here that were divided into legally separate units years ago - people love it and there are always people willing to fill the slot when someone wants to sell out. My friends have talked of doing a similar thing, or buying a piece of land and building "cottage" houses - however, most of them are settled in their own home and when push comes to shove they do not want to change that. Others are hesitant to invest here as they plan to move ...to... Washington or Oregon .
Some of us don't like the very hot seasons (Stockton, CA ideal climate? I beg to differ!). Today where I am it is raining hard and I'm loving it. Rain means it is green. I still think I want to end up in the Pac NW. Between OR or WA, it looks like each state has tradeoffs. OR has no sales taxes but fairly high income tax. WA has no income tax but high sales and other taxes. There are more inexpensive smaller towns in both states as well as the 2 bigger cities. One thing that seems to be appealing is both Portland and Seattle have distinct neighborhoods with their distinct personalities.

All these decisions are still int he future for me. I have to get to the finish line, then finish up my house before I can strat the moving process.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Okay, back to the Women's Collective. Nancy_thereader and I chatted a bit, and came up with a couple other adjectives to use for us....if anyone's into it:

The Sizzling Red Hot Peppers Women's Collective! Or even just Sizzling Hot Peppers....I don't know....but I have a feeling we have a lot of heat here, so might as well put that in, too!

I've got lots to do -- I'll check back tomorrow!!

Here's to us Sizzling Hot Women!! Hahaha!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Some of us don't like the very hot seasons (Stockton, CA ideal climate? I beg to differ!). Today where I am it is raining hard and I'm loving it. Rain means it is green. I still think I want to end up in the Pac NW. Between OR or WA, it looks like each state has tradeoffs. OR has no sales taxes but fairly high income tax. WA has no income tax but high sales and other taxes. There are more inexpensive smaller towns in both states as well as the 2 bigger cities. One thing that seems to be appealing is both Portland and Seattle have distinct neighborhoods with their distinct personalities.

All these decisions are still int he future for me. I have to get to the finish line, then finish up my house before I can strat the moving process.
WA's sales tax never bothered me - I didn't have money to buy things! We'll probably be spending less when we retire - have most things we need. I'd pick no income tax over the sales tax. If the rain didn't bother me, I'd live in the PNW.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Fairwinds, You've really nailed why I'm freaked out about my future! It's like the song "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" by Martha and the Vandellas (for my 60th birthday, my sister sent me one of those birthday cards that has the recording in it when you open it...that song!!)

The states are in a dire fiscal mess. My state is unveiling its budget soon, w promises of shocking cuts. Who knows when SS is going to be on the block? The biggest problem for "seniors" is that we're beyond our peak earning years (some of us never got to peak, as we were always rather underemployed)...if our property taxes are what they are now and will be next year, what will they be in 5 or 10 years as each year the states fall deeper and deeper into the hole? Not only prop owners with steadily rising taxes but renters whose rents will be directly affected are going to suffer

Any place that's "desirable" on the E or W coasts are going to probably have the fasted rising costs. Also all the "lifestyle" locations. My thought is to find some very plain place that people are NOT flocking too for jobs, lifestyle or retirement. It may not be a place that that has a Starbucks or Whole Foods, or much artsy stuff going on. Ideally a place w no schools!! LOL I was actually thinking about creating a town for elders that has no schools within its borders....now that would keep prop taxes down!!!

So if anyone knows about a nice little unassuming place in the USA where the living is modest and the costs are low, please post!

And good luck in CA....whatever happens on the W coast always moves East!
Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Want to join me, Wisteria, NancytheReader, and DancingEarth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.