Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Just checking in. I have my house all ready & as soon as I can get my daughter settled ( now that she's twenty, she has her own life & is refusing to move with me ) , I will be ready to make the move to New Mexico..... the land of enchantment.

There's so much to do, though, to get ready . It's not easy selling and packing up after so many years, but I do know that it's what I want to do. Not that I don't have some misgivings, but not enough to keep me here in the cold Northeast.

Right now, I am dealing with real estate agents and all on both ends . The homes in New Mexico are so very different from those in other parts of the country, at least the parts that I have seen. They may as well be on another planet.

But, that's why I'm going ~~~ for the change.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hey, Nancy, I have to get on page 200, too!!! I will make this post short, so others can jump onto page 200!!

Hope to see many of us in New Mexico!!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The Colorado front range cities are mostly on the rolling high plains with stream valleys. When you live in these towns, you look to the west to see the mountains to orient yourself (except for high pollution days when they are obscured) but most people live on the much flatter plains. The mountain view is somewhat distant with a bumpy horizon. The towns nestled up against the foothills are Boulder, Golden, and Canon City. The rest are out on the plains. The foot hills are dramatic at Boulder with the flat irons. So, yes, the pictures of these towns do look rather flat. It is not like living in the mountains and it is not like Seattle or Portland which have steeper hills and more conifers so they feel more like being in the mountains. It is a high plain desert without the extensive irrigation that turned it into farmland with now sprawling cities.

There are a lot of people who love it but some find it rather bleak.
Yes, thank you for pointing to this issue. I thought of it last night in bed, asking why a poster would ask about the mountains in pictures. Then, I remembered that many people are subject to the hype and marketing of Colorado that emphasis the mountains. Denver is on the Great Plains; "The Mile-Hi City" means a mile-hi on the high great plains.

The big advantages are that the Mountains block the moisture and consequently Denver has a much drier, and milder climate than many would assume. Denver is Semi-Arid, not so hot, not so cold. Yes, is has less trees and is less green, but water means humidity, more snow, more rain and more severe weather. In addition, being close the foothills, most areas of the Denver areas are protected from Tornadoes, which do not form as readily along mountains.

Livecontent

Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The Colorado front range cities are mostly on the rolling high plains with stream valleys. When you live in these towns, you look to the west to see the mountains to orient yourself (except for high pollution days when they are obscured) but most people live on the much flatter plains.
Thanks Tesaje and Livecontent for information on the terrain. I'm not very good at using Google Earth but will give it a better try.

I live in the Tucson area and have been here for almost 27 years now. I always see mountains around me, bleak, desert mountains, and would miss mountains if I moved to where there weren't any nearby.

When I was a child, we spent several weeks each summer in a cabin near Evergreen, also visiting various other places around, including Estes Park. I know things have changed much in 50 years, but my memory is not totally precise at a such a distance anyway.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Thanks Tesaje and Livecontent for information on the terrain. I'm not very good at using Google Earth but will give it a better try.

I live in the Tucson area and have been here for almost 27 years now. I always see mountains around me, bleak, desert mountains, and would miss mountains if I moved to where there weren't any nearby.

When I was a child, we spent several weeks each summer in a cabin near Evergreen, also visiting various other places around, including Estes Park. I know things have changed much in 50 years, but my memory is not totally precise at a such a distance anyway.
Evergreen is also nestled in the foothills just to the west of south Denver. It isn't very big and is vulnerable to fires. Estes Park is up in the real mountains at the eastern gateway to Rocky Mtn Natl Park. I remember the CO of my childhood int he 60's and it was very different. Much less crowded and less pollution.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Default Minervah is a real gem!!

I just got home from my meet-up with Minervah - what a joy! I picked her up downtown and then we walked a long - long time downtown so she could learn how to not get lost there.

The we drove out my area - drove past my house, looked at various senior apts and potential places for employment. We had lunch at my favorite place Edina Convention Grill - homemade malts, fabulous French fries, burgers - the good stuff (I know some of you are turning green!) When she goes back to Portland and they ask what she did, she'll respond that I tried to kill her with food!! As we waddled away we made plans for Sunday - we'll head out to Lake Minnetonka.

Then we hit Lake Harriet on the way back downtown so she could see the REAL mansions (as opposed to the McMansions of today.)

Minervah was a real joy to show around - so easy to please. I hated leaving her alone downtown but am looking forward to seeing her again!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I just got home from my meet-up with Minervah - what a joy! ...so she could see the REAL mansions (as opposed to the McMansions of today.) ...
You might want to run her by Becketwood co-op, Becketwood (several residents in their 50's and still working, but average age is ~78 as seniors in co-ops live independently to quite an old age )
The setting is pretty enticing for MSP abode, Interior and grounds are really nice, amenities and activities great. This week I toured it & 7500 York as well as many other senior co-ops in MSP and rural areas (currently in Fairmont, MN). I hope to get to see a new co-op (under construction) in Rochester, MN tomorrow. It looks to be one of most affordable and on a large site, overlooking river.
River Bluff Cooperative Living at Elton Hills
Back to Portland tomorrow night (I hate to think I just missed one of our 80 sunny days/ yr, but...Gotta love those $69 SWA flights)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Right now, I am dealing with real estate agents and all on both ends . The homes in New Mexico are so very different from those in other parts of the country, at least the parts that I have seen. They may as well be on another planet.

But, that's why I'm going ~~~ for the change.
It's great you are so open. The first time I moved here was for a job and it felt very strange for awhile. Now I love it. I really like how the houses are built on slabs and you don't have to go up steps to get inside. It feels very connected to the earth. Also good for getting old in. Mostly they are one floor and open floor plans. The one I'm in now is the best use of space of any I've lived in. For 1,100 sq feet it feels bigger. I don't know how they are in Las Cruces though. When I looked in Rio Rancho the houses did nothing for me. Weird layouts. I do wish I had french doors in this one going to the yard. It's one defect.

I came home tonight and started digging and figuring out where to put the plants I bought today. Planted a Boston Ivy in the barren backyard. It's the second plant to go in there--the first was rhubarb. I plant a rhubarb wherever I am living. It's my midwest roots. Tomorrow I'm planting a Pacific Sunset Maple so I can start growing some shade for my future pergola and then a butterfly bush, mountain mahogany, manzanita, and some annuals for color. Then dig the arroyo and start the terraced garden. I've got a busy summer. Sam's Club had a little garden bridge I want to over over the arroyo to the pergola. I'm growing roots here--feels good.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You might want to run her by Becketwood co-op, Becketwood (several residents in their 50's and still working, but average age is ~78 as seniors in co-ops live independently to quite an old age )
The setting is pretty enticing for MSP abode, Interior and grounds are really nice, amenities and activities great. This week I toured it & 7500 York as well as many other senior co-ops in MSP and rural areas (currently in Fairmont, MN). I hope to get to see a new co-op (under construction) in Rochester, MN tomorrow. It looks to be one of most affordable and on a large site, overlooking river.
River Bluff Cooperative Living at Elton Hills
Back to Portland tomorrow night (I hate to think I just missed one of our 80 sunny days/ yr, but...Gotta love those $69 SWA flights)
Stealth............Shame on you!! Do you realize I'm only a couple miles from 7500 York - we drove by there and I showed that location to Minervah - perhaps we passed each other?! I'm from Rochester and forgot to mention it to her but since she is in the Medical records arena - what's better than the Mayo!

So, back to Portland - no chance to meet with you - really a shame - you could have joined us. I'll make sure she sees your post.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I came home tonight and started digging and figuring out where to put the plants I bought today. Planted a Boston Ivy in the barren backyard. It's the second plant to go in there--the first was rhubarb. I plant a rhubarb wherever I am living. It's my midwest roots. Tomorrow I'm planting a Pacific Sunset Maple so I can start growing some shade for my future pergola and then a butterfly bush, mountain mahogany, manzanita, and some annuals for color. Then dig the arroyo and start the terraced garden. I've got a busy summer. Sam's Club had a little garden bridge I want to over over the arroyo to the pergola. I'm growing roots here--feels good.

This is when having a house versus condo or townhome really pays off. It takes alot of work but the end result is so worth it. I can tell you're really getting into the garden/landscaping thing! "It's a good thing...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.