Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow, awesome that you are following through with your plans and going to New Mexico, just too cool and I'm proud of you gals, as the saying goes, you go girls, a very big woohoo from me!

I had to smile at the repeating, as I have told my story about my quick decision to leave Illinois and move to Wisconsin, many times and probably several on this thread as I check back once in awhile.

I keep mentioning it because I knew not a soul in Two Rivers, I did move closer to my one sister who is in Upper Michigan. It was a cold turkey move and I am happy here. It can be done! Wisconsin isn't exactly a tax friendly state but for me better living environment than Illinois.
Oh yeah, now I remember the story... thanks for reminding me that you've done it! It's a great story of accomplishment!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
FMWalk...I apologize that I don't yet know everyone's names. About Colorado...I live in Estes Park, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is beautiful here, the town is less than 7,000. That is, when all the tourists have gone back home. It isn't inexpensive to live here - Colorado is an expensive state - but you could go online to find some rentals, or surf our online newspaper, The Trail Gazette, to see what kinds of rentals are available. You can find anything from just a simple rustic cabin to a full blown condo, apt, or house. Estes Park is less than an hour from Fort Collins, Loveland, or Boulder, Colorado. Denver is less than 2 hours away. Since Estes Park is a tourist town, you will need to like the overcrowded summers...but, to a newbie, you may not even notice...it's very beautiful here with the mountains and brilliant blue skies. Hiking, rock climbing, biking galore. Also pet friendly. Very casual because it's an outdoor state.

Oh, also want to mention to everyone that Estes is home to the YMCA Camp of the Rockies...you can go there and work summers and get free room and board plus a little bit of pocket money. A lot of retirees go there and spend the summers, and do it regularly each year. It is worth checking out!!! Horseback riding, yoga conferences, a wide variety. I can get phone nmbers for you, or just pull up their website.
This sounds interesting to me.
I'll be leaving for the summer around June 1st.
*Oh, by the way, I got mobile broadband internet, which means I'll have internet everywhere I go (almost) with a wireless device I stick in my computer!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
This sounds interesting to me.
I'll be leaving for the summer around June 1st.
*Oh, by the way, I got mobile broadband internet, which means I'll have internet everywhere I go (almost) with a wireless device I stick in my computer!
I have one for work. It is great most of the time. I'm going to get one before I retire since I'll have to surrender this one when I leave.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Default SummerTime is here!!

Well, the calendar says I have about 16 days to pack, before I head over to the motorhome to travel around New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, etc for a few months. We've already got 100+ temps here in Yuma.

I just got off the phone with DancingEarth, and plan to meet her and her friends in Silver City, NM, on June 1. Then I make my usual homes at campsites in the beautiful state parks for a couple of weeks at a time. I'll probably stay in Elephant Butte Lake (TrC) to start with--(oh that's Truth or Consequences), then head to see my buddy at Quemado Lake up in the mountains near the AZ border. That will be 'dry camping': motorhome, but no hookups, so I rely on my generator for electricity. It's a free campground with tons of wood to split for fires, and great fishing. Wallie and I met during my travels, and he's a good friend now.
Then I'll probably be in Northern NM for most of the summer, where I'll meet up with DancingEarth again in Santa Fe. She said she wants to camp, and I say "But, of course!"

I might consider meeting up with those of you in Colorado, "M"! I looked at the YMCA Camp of the Rockies website, but saw all those kids!! No thanks !

Anyway, thought I'd catch you up on my plans. Now if I could just get this place cleaned up--I made another trip to my storage for the remaining boxes... Now I have tons of Christmas, Halloween, Party stuff, along with ALL of my writings over the years! I'll probably donate the furniture still in storage, and have it empty by the end of the month. One less bill to pay! One step closer to 'closure', in my new home.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Well, Anomoly - you should have an interesting summer! Sounds fun.

Well, Minervah is coming to Mpls this Thursday for a look around. She's visiting various cities to see where she might like to retire. I warned her - but I guess she likes to freeze her tush off

We'll get together Friday - agenda yet to be determined - and then play it by ear.

My dear uncle is here (as are the others most of the time and now their teenager's friends want to come also - bunk beds anyone).
Anyway, my uncle was informed he has prostrate cancer so he'll be here for treatment. Just a little venting - he has 5 kids - I have been elected to do what they should all step up and do. Afterall, we all know that retired people just sit around and eat bon-bons all day - right, ladies!! Whenever I regret not having kids, it's times like this that make me glad I didn't. OK - done.

Anyway - it will be nice to meet Minervah - I'll try to spend as much time as possible. If she were a brave lady she would have come in January!!

We'll give you all a trip report afterwards.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Quote:
Well, the calendar says I have about 16 days to pack, before I head over to the motorhome to travel around New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, etc for a few months. We've already got 100+ temps here in Yuma.

I just got off the phone with DancingEarth, and plan to meet her and her friends in Silver City, NM, on June 1. Then I make my usual homes at campsites in the beautiful state parks for a couple of weeks at a time. I'll probably stay in Elephant Butte Lake (TrC) to start with--(oh that's Truth or Consequences), then head to see my buddy at Quemado Lake up in the mountains near the AZ border. That will be 'dry camping': motorhome, but no hookups, so I rely on my generator for electricity. It's a free campground with tons of wood to split for fires, and great fishing. Wallie and I met during my travels, and he's a good friend now.
Then I'll probably be in Northern NM for most of the summer, where I'll meet up with DancingEarth again in Santa Fe. She said she wants to camp, and I say "But, of course!"

I might consider meeting up with those of you in Colorado, "M"! I looked at the YMCA Camp of the Rockies website, but saw all those kids!! No thanks !

Anyway, thought I'd catch you up on my plans. Now if I could just get this place cleaned up--I made another trip to my storage for the remaining boxes... Now I have tons of Christmas, Halloween, Party stuff, along with ALL of my writings over the years! I'll probably donate the furniture still in storage, and have it empty by the end of the month. One less bill to pay! One step closer to 'closure', in my new home.
Wow, what a great summer you have planned. I also wanted to go to Silver City (have heard great things about it) but just couldn't fit doing northern and southern New Mexico into my trip. Maybe next time. Now I really wish I had waited but that is right at the time I will be moving (or getting close). Have looked at so many houses (townhomes/condos) that I'm getting confused. Perfect time to buy but don't want to buy something just because it is a good time to buy. I found the right property/view, right house, with right screened in bricked patio with lots of privacy. Just all aren't in the same house!!! What's up with that? Of course if I had another $100/$200K I could probably find the perfect house. Lottery where are you???

I have also today looked at and reserved an intown apartment as a backup. Brand new and in a great area to walk to everything (grocery store, bank, parks/lakes, restaurants - the park even shows outdoor movies on the weekends) - a little more than I want to spend on rent but it would definitely be a vacation for me. But I get two weeks free which would let me overlap where I am now so self-moving would be easier; then just hire the movers for the heavy stuff. I just wanted to take the pressure off of "having" to find something. I keep waking up at 3 a.m. thinking about everything. Hopefully this will help. I now feel more in control and that I have actually moved forward. Maybe finally just being away from this house and it's memories and upkeep is just what I need to begin my new life. You have to start somewhere!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Hmmmm, road trip huh?
And, what do many women together like to do??? surely not rock hunting, or campingor 4 wheeling? and, will you all be visiting T or C? I still know how to bake brownies, if that's an attraction at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
AND ANOMOLY will leave her settled-into home in YUMA to ALSO join us in New Mexico, as soon as we are there.....

Sorry, Anomoly, I know your time frames are switching around a bit, so I wasn't sure what your plans were for a specific time......but you do have the RV, so you could get up there on a moment's notice! At least you don't have to worry about all those plane reservations!

Okay, so, then I think we have Anomoly, Me (Wisteria), Nancy and Dancingearth...trying to coordinate a trip to New Mexico (well, not exactly, since Dancingearth is already there -- but you know what I mean!). In addition, I have made contact with someone else in New Mexico (Las Cruces) who knows the area very well, and also knows of women who are doing something similar to what we want to do -- I hope to be able to get a chance to meet her and see what their activities and groups are like (apparently, they meet regularly for potlucks and art walks, etc.).

So....who else wants to join the New Mexico caravan?? Karcon beat us to it, this time, but the rest of us will get there, too! We will all have to coordinate, and if we can't all meet at the same time, we can also meet up at different points. Anomoly and I have already met, so I feel confident that she will come through for us.....but I have not yet met Nancy in person, nor Dancingearth...and the woman in Las Cruces who has connections in town. Somehow, New Mexico and Las Cruces are tugging at me.

The intention Nancy thereader and I have is to speak with some realtors while we are there.....I am looking for cheap, cheap, cheap, but still safe and nice -- not easy to find, but could be possible!

Alrighty, all aboard for the New Mexico caravan!!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, Anomoly - you should have an interesting summer! Sounds fun.

Well, Minervah is coming to Mpls this Thursday for a look around. She's visiting various cities to see where she might like to retire. I warned her - but I guess she likes to freeze her tush off

We'll get together Friday - agenda yet to be determined - and then play it by ear.

My dear uncle is here (as are the others most of the time and now their teenager's friends want to come also - bunk beds anyone).
Anyway, my uncle was informed he has prostrate cancer so he'll be here for treatment. Just a little venting - he has 5 kids - I have been elected to do what they should all step up and do. Afterall, we all know that retired people just sit around and eat bon-bons all day - right, ladies!! Whenever I regret not having kids, it's times like this that make me glad I didn't. OK - done.

Anyway - it will be nice to meet Minervah - I'll try to spend as much time as possible. If she were a brave lady she would have come in January!!

We'll give you all a trip report afterwards.
LOL! My tush has plenty of insulation so I don't think neither "it" nor I need to worry about the cold. Except it's true, I wasn't brave enough to pick a winter month to visit. But it will be nice to get out out the continual Portland rain.

I'm looking forward to Friday. I'll buy the bon bons!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Hmmmm, road trip huh?
And, what do many women together like to do??? surely not rock hunting, or campingor 4 wheeling? and, will you all be visiting T or C? I still know how to bake brownies, if that's an attraction at all.
Highmutz,
Ya know I'll be by to visit you again--this time I won't say I'm from the IRS , (seemed funny at the time!), and you won't be expecting a dude!!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
Highmutz,
Ya know I'll be by to visit you again--this time I won't say I'm from the IRS , (seemed funny at the time!), and you won't be expecting a dude!!
Yeah, it would've been worse if you'd said ATF! open the door sucker, or die! I thought you were one of those nuts from [domain blocked due to spam] dot com who threatened me, can I say this? ..... it was just nutty you! yeah, I thought you were coming after me for back taxes or something I did wrong 30 years ago. I have a guilty conscience, can't you tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.