Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM

384 posts, read 990,317 times

Advertisements

Wisteria - I was wondering if any of those forest fires around Santa Cruz mountains are near where you lived? Your new situation sounds absolutely perfect.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Wisteria - I was wondering if any of those forest fires around Santa Cruz mountains are near where you lived? Your new situation sounds absolutely perfect.

Yes, I saw the weather news last night and wondered the same thing! I wouldn't have given Santa Cruz much thought before, but now I know it's the location of Wisteria's new home! Hope all is well!!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
She's within blocks of the beach, so there is quite a bit of real estate between her and any fire. Plus the breeze/wind always (well, 99%) blows from the ocean towards the land. She's safer in her new home, fire-wise, than where she was!

They evacuated Bonny Doon, which approximately 15 miles north from downtown Santa Cruz. Wonderful trees, wonderful winery.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
I believe Wisteria said that the fires are north of her former home too but she smells smoke this am.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 AM

73 posts, read 299,649 times
Default Horay Wisteria

I've enjoyed you sharing your thoughts on your journey to your new home and how you've dealt with challenges in the aging process. I hear them as my own thoughts as well and it gives me courage to face the prospect of downsizing and living "differently". I suppose the only reason I haven't moved a little sooner is that I have the most wonderful neighbors that you could hope for on either side of me. They have literally helped me stay in my home by doing the odd jobs and heavy yard work around here. They would never take a dime for their efforts and have now become like my family. I cherish them greatly and appreciate how they have allowed me to continue to enjoy the paradise of my own backyard. I suppose I will hang on to my situation here as long as I can but forsee a future such as yours complete with wonderfully clean salty air and tinkling wind chimes and hopefully new friends. I've been to Santa Cruz and it is absolutely wonderful. I'm so happy for you and look forward to hearing about your new life there.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Gandalara : She's within blocks of the beach, so there is quite a bit of real estate between her and any fire. Plus the breeze/wind always (well, 99%) blows from the ocean towards the land. She's safer in her new home, fire-wise, than where she was!

They evacuated Bonny Doon, which approximately 15 miles north from downtown Santa Cruz. Wonderful trees, wonderful winery.
Yes, you are correct, Gandalara. I am MUCH safer from wildfires here. There isn't much in the way of dry brush here. Very residential, with lots to do. I suppose the university could be at risk at some point, but since they do have a maintenance crew, I would think that they clear the brush there.

And, yes, Bonny Doon (which was only 3 miles from my old house!) is on fire. I had two fire fighters on my old street, but where I was, it is just an inferno waiting to happen. I literally bought life preservers last year in case there was a fire and I had to go to the lake nearby -- there was only one road in and one road out to where I lived, and I knew if there was a fire below me, I would never get out -- so, the only hope would have been to go to Loch Lomond. I wonder if the new people in that house now have figured out why I left those life preservers! haha

Quote:
paintdog52: Horay Wisteria

I've enjoyed you sharing your thoughts on your journey to your new home and how you've dealt with challenges in the aging process. I hear them as my own thoughts as well and it gives me courage to face the prospect of downsizing and living "differently". I suppose the only reason I haven't moved a little sooner is that I have the most wonderful neighbors that you could hope for on either side of me. They have literally helped me stay in my home by doing the odd jobs and heavy yard work around here. They would never take a dime for their efforts and have now become like my family. I cherish them greatly and appreciate how they have allowed me to continue to enjoy the paradise of my own backyard. I suppose I will hang on to my situation here as long as I can but forsee a future such as yours complete with wonderfully clean salty air and tinkling wind chimes and hopefully new friends. I've been to Santa Cruz and it is absolutely wonderful. I'm so happy for you and look forward to hearing about your new life there.
I had a similar situation where I lived, however, there was just no way that all of the neighbors could spend so much time helping me up there. I was fortunate to have these good neighbors and we all knew each other by name, and their kids, and were very respectful and helpful to each other. But my property was a bit more than what others could provide. It was older, things were falling apart, I had so many redwood needles and branches that fell on the roof and yard....it was never-ending. I am sure I was just very, very remote. I will stay in touch with my neighbors -- they are really good people. But for me, this was the best solution all-round -- besides, they couldn't prevent forest fires up there, they couldn't prevent mudslides or trees falling -- those things always worried me, too.

Maybe some day I'll see you here!

I will keep everyone posted as I discover new things here. It's just such a relief to not have that huge yard, and to know I can take my time unpacking and get settled in. I thought I would simply cry over leaving my "Enchanted Gardens," however, I'm quite surprised at how I don't feel that way. In fact, if anything, I feel like a weight was lifted. I did not realize how much the labor and worry there affected me until it was gone! You may find that, too.

It is now 10 a.m. here and the fog has lifted, and it is sunny with clear blue skies. Unfortunately, I must spend a large part of my day unpacking, but next weekend, I will get a chance to explore more. I will, though, check out the Farmers' Market a few blocks away tomorrow! I need some fresh food in this house now! I've been living on my daughter's Curry Ramen that she left here -- thank goodness, as I would have starved to death! haha (It's actually really good -- she had gotten it from the Indian section of San Jose and it's what is sold in India -- very spicy!! Yum!)

Hey, a VW bus just drove out of the park!! Yep, more aging hippies! Hahaha! Oh, my gosh, I can see our generation will transform retirement! Of course, it is Santa Cruz, so you will find more here, but it's still weird seeing them come out of a Seniors' community! Hey, even we people from the Sixties have to get old sometime! Looks like I might have more people my age than I expected! That would be fun!

Off to work. Just finished watching Namaste America, an Indian music show (sort of like an Indian version of MTV) and got some good names of songs to look up on Youtube! Bollywood in Santa Cruz! Somehow, they do seem to go together!

Alrighty, I will keep you in the loop as I discover more. Who knows, maybe some of you will want to come here, too (I know of two other women who are seriously considering the move to this park, in particular -- making a ready-made community of women of like-mind)!

And thanks for the good thoughts about my safety from the fires. We are protected from those here -- besides, if worse came to worse, I could always run into the ocean! Haha. Seriously, the town is very protected and safe!

See you later!
Wisteria

Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 163,896 times
Default Wisteria

Wisteria,
I am so happy and excited for you as you embark on this next chapter of your life. I would like to thank you for being so open and forthright about the move, your new home, cost, etc. I know that having this information gives me a little more insight into my future.
Glorida

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM

73 posts, read 299,649 times
Thanks for the reply Wisteria

I do understand that there is only so much you and beloved neighbors can do to try and maintain the status quo of a property. Sometimes - it just isn't worth it and you see that there can be another way. I feel your excitement and wonder at opening that other door and finding happiness there. My heart's saying that there is more life out there and other paradises to be had (without the huge burden of keeping things up). I'm in the process of adjusting to the fact that this old body doesn't want to cooperate with the level of abuse I once gave it, lol. I'm not just tired of the work, my soul is restless and I feel stagnant. So I know it's getting to be that time to move on with the next phase. I'm going to Oregon next month to look around. I continue to be drawn to the west coast. Good luck unpacking and enjoying this new phase of your life. We are all so happy for you and send many good wishes your way.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Awesome sounds wonderful and glad the fires aren't an issue! Mobile home living will certainly be easier than the upkeep of your previous location. It still requires attention but on a much smaller scale than what you had! Enjoy!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Hey WRATNCS (get it?) - just checking in - time to wake up everybody - I said WAKE UP!~

Ok, let's see if we can get an update from the ladies/gents of this thread.
It seems Mickey and family have left the premise - very happy about that
Fall is coming soon to MN - I can smell it in the air. This brings 1) sadness that the summer is nearly over and 2) a warm fuzzy feeling - time to cozy up - get the cords/sweaters out (love that stuff).

It's also time to get off my lazy butt and get stuff done before the snow flies!!!! Today I shifted it into high gear and got alot done - I always feel so much better - mentally and physically - when I really push.

Nancy - have you sold your condo? If so, are you happy with what you were able to get for it?

Tesaje - You are getting real close to your retirement!

Coney - Still hanging out in Grants Pass? Ashland is near you, I believe - I've decided to put it on my check out list - expensive, though, I hear. If it has the right environment, I might be willing to compromise on the living arrangements. Time will tell.

Dancin - Did you fall off the planet? Did they kidnap you in PA? HELLO>>>>>>>>>

Anomoly - Where art thou? When is it safe to return to your home?

Knox - What's happenin in your neck of the woods?

Wisteria - Won any surfin contests yet?

Everyone else? Not intentionally ignoring anyone, just too lazy to keep typing.

Hope everyone is well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement