Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I find it actually impossible to find new friends in my older age. I am 60 years old, listen to heavy metal music, smoke cigars and like to drink a bit and dance alot. I'm a single female, love to discuss "deep" subjects and to make matters worse, I am an atheist vegetarian with a sarcastic sense of humor (police dept retired). Just for a hoot, I did a profile on Eharmony, and now, five years later, I haven't had ONE inquiry. The entire thing is actually pretty funny but I sure do miss going out and dancing and being outrageous.
Sounds like you'd fit right in with the fun group I get together with, especially the ones from last night. They are all like fine wines and some of the oldest in the bunch party the hardest. they're from every walk of life and truly smart, outrageously funny, living passionately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
I am 60 years old, listen to heavy metal music, smoke cigars and like to drink a bit and dance alot.
Quote:
"Living Dead Girl" is one of my favorite Rob Zombie songs. Love the entire "goth" thing, particularly the clothing: very romantic, erotic, Victorian.
Coincidentally, I am sitting here typing this while wearing an old OZZFEST 2000 t-shirt. Although Rob Zombie wasn't at that one, I did see him perform a couple of years later at OZZFEST 2002 just outside Washington, DC. I've been a fan since the early White Zombie days.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
I find it actually impossible to find new friends in my older age. I am 60 years old, listen to heavy metal music, smoke cigars and like to drink a bit and dance alot. I'm a single female, love to discuss "deep" subjects and to make matters worse, I am an atheist vegetarian with a sarcastic sense of humor (police dept retired). Just for a hoot, I did a profile on Eharmony, and now, five years later, I haven't had ONE inquiry. The entire thing is actually pretty funny but I sure do miss going out and dancing and being outrageous.
Take a look at Austin Texas. Might be a good fit. Robyn

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post

I do not need to fit into the entire community or have a 100 close friends. Three, four or five close friends would do it for me. They are out there, but it may take some time to find them. Of course, if you have a tendacy to reject most people, it may make it more difficult if not impossible to find friends.
Good luck finding those 4-5 close friends. It is NOT that easy when you are older. DD had Easter dinner yesterday and invited some of her old friends who have just moved here. It was so nice to be with people who accepted us immediately. They are younger and well educated, etc. but are having a hard time fitting in also.

I'm wondering lately if people in general are more leary of newcomers than in the past. Perhaps because more people are relocating than ever before, newcomers are not as exciting or interesting to the existing residents as they used to be. If a person already has enough friends, maybe they don't want to make the effort to try to become friends with new people.

If we don't move to a 55+, we are thinking of starting a club for our age group--dinners out, etc.--as a way to meet like minded people.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
I just think it's harder for older (60+) people to make friends. Now, older people who live close to relatives, don't drink anymore and enjoy church activities do have it much easier to make friends. When Grand Funk Railroad put on a outdoors concert here (Jacksonville Landing) last year, there were lots of people in our age bracket. We gave our phone number out to a few couples, but never got a call.
We have talked to some couples, also in our age bracket, that use to own a boat, but got rid of it when their kids got older and/or moved away. They never bought another boat.......guess they got burned-out on boating for all the years with the kids.
But, perhaps Happy in Wyoming has it right, that we should be happy that we have each other and sooner-or-later we will me a couple.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I just think it's harder for older (60+) people to make friends. Now, older people who live close to relatives, don't drink anymore and enjoy church activities do have it much easier to make friends. When Grand Funk Railroad put on a outdoors concert here (Jacksonville Landing) last year, there were lots of people in our age bracket. We gave our phone number out to a few couples, but never got a call.
We have talked to some couples, also in our age bracket, that use to own a boat, but got rid of it when their kids got older and/or moved away. They never bought another boat.......guess they got burned-out on boating for all the years with the kids.
But, perhaps Happy in Wyoming has it right, that we should be happy that we have each other and sooner-or-later we will me a couple.
Have you called any of them?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
We didn't get their numbers. A lot of folks today don't want to give their phone number out to strangers, no matter how much the stranger has in common with them. "It's much easier if I just get intouch with you later", we hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Have you called any of them?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
Dear big friends,
I don't know what to say about it. But I think to get old means all the same as before or what happens if one gets old? I mean one can still live the same life as before... When you discuss this thing, I remember my dad, who must be feeling the same as you do. Friendships can come at any age and there must not be any age limit I suppose. So better not to say old-age or anything of that sort. Not to drink and to live a better life is not uncommon among the youth, please do not judge before you know all of them. I am 29, I don't drink, have a few good friends, I live away from my family, but I have seen a lot of young people lonely at my age! See this is life, let us try without losing hope, and our hope and faith would bring the love of life (not a joke, I believe that and so). Or, just leave all what I wrote if it doesn't make any sense to you...! The simple tips I practice I can write down:
1. peace of mind, to see God in everything and there comes the peace. This peace can be expressed with a sweet smile, yes, always let that smile be on your face. Like fragrant flowers attract butterflies, good friends will be attracted to you!
2. simple helps to others. I am a skinny person, I don't do a lot of charitable hard works to people, but when I see an old lady carries a heavy plastic carry bag from the supermarket counter, I help her to take it to her car, and there I got a new friend, though old, she is with a lot of experiences of life! So does I always get good friends.
Am I making you crazy? Here I stop. Have a nice day!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Do people want friends or just acquaintances? Playing croquet or bridge with people doesn't make them friends. A friend is someone you'd trust with a million dollars in cash, no receipt. A friend is someone who'd hide you out if the police were after you. Simply put, a friend keeps his mouth shut...period. You can't seek friends anymore than you can seek your love. It happens or it doesn't.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
New fellow moved into our neighborhood. I stopped to say hello. All I got was an earful of his medical conditions, needs, problems. His complaints and negativism dragged me down. I dropped him of my list of people I am wanting to get to know better.

I think there is a lesson here for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement