Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't run or do anything high impact. I use the stair machine, the elliptical and the treadmill at full incline.

I'm fine as long as I get my heart rate up to 150 or 165 BPM a few times a week for at least a half hour or more.

If I don't, my blood pressure edges up.
Don’t worry, I never could run very well(unless I’m pursuing by a bear) and I did poorly in my aerobics class. That’s why I like to swim. Being doing that since college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I CANT exercise much. Lots of PT, though.

I have a bad back, avascular necrosis in my hips, and now ywo bad knees. The right one we were looking at replacing, but decided on long extreme PT instead, and steroid shots. Now the left one is doing the same thing, as it has born my weight for a whike as tye right i coukd not walk on, and used TWO canes to get around instead of one.

Im 55, but sometimes feel 90.

I can barely walk some days let alone go for one. Much less hike my way anywhere.

I used to walk everywhere when i was younger, but cant walk easily from one room to the other.

I do have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

Bummer, cause there are lots of things id like to do.

Well, you have two choices , according to the responses on this thread. Run 10 miles a day and lift weights or sleep 16 hours a day. Your choice.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
I read this thread to give me motivation.

I was doing so well exercising and all.. I'm just glad that I spent many years running and trying to stay in shape. That helped for times like this when I just don't have the motivation. Better than never exercising.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe it is a good thing I do not belong to a retiree organization. Wouldn’t want to think that a defeatist attitude is OK, at any age.

Averages don’t mean much to an individual who lives differently from “average.â€

I am old enough to tell I don’t have the strength I had in my 20s but young enough to keep doing what I have always done...exercise as an essential part of my day. The exact age is irrelevant, not to mention NOYB.

I could drop dead tomorrow. Or not. I am not going to stop doing what I do because the “average†person of my age doesn’t live the same way. People always mistake me for being decades younger than I am, so I don’t intend to sit around all day and feel old.

The retiree organization I belong to is OLLI, Osher Lifelong Learning. It is all about learning and has nothing to do with a "defeatist attitude". I do suspect we are happy you do not belong.

I started this with a discussion of the difficulty of maintaining strength as we age. It seems you are doing well with exercise and strength, but nevertheless are extremely sensitive about your age. Good for you, I guess you have nothing to contribute to the discussion except for some bragging. Ho Hum.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:06 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, you have two choices , according to the responses on this thread. Run 10 miles a day and lift weights or sleep 16 hours a day. Your choice.
I had a massage client in his late 40's who developed a bad hip and knee problems from jogging every day for years. His Ortho told him his days of jogging were over as if he kept up his jogging he'd be looking at potential hip and/or knee replacements, so he took to racquetball instead. One of these people who enjoyed being active. Imagine what shape he'll be in at 65!!!

I worked in a Long-Term Care/Rehab facility for 17 years and there are elderly who have lived on and on and on with virtually no exercise, unless it's arm exercise from wheeling their wheelchair around. And there's quadriplegics who can't move any part of their body except their heads, and many go on to live for many years in that condition. As well as paraplegics. And those who have suffered strokes, leaving the right or left side of their bodies paralyzed.

At 68, my exercise only amounts to walking my ferret every night for 2-3 blocks, and an occasional bike trip, 3 blocks away, to the grocery store. And some yoga stretches. We have a gym in my 55+ community but I've never used it and rarely do I see people using it. When the pool is open and heated, I will use that occasionally.

It's time for beddy-bye! Prayerfully, I'll sleep 11 hours tonite!

Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I had a massage client in his late 40's who developed a bad hip and knee problems from jogging every day for years. His Ortho told him his days of jogging were over as if he kept up his jogging he'd be looking at potential hip and/or knee replacements, so he took to racquetball instead. One of these people who enjoyed being active. Imagine what shape he'll be in at 65!!!

I worked in a Long-Term Care/Rehab facility for 17 years and there are elderly who have lived on and on and on with virtually no exercise, unless it's arm exercise from wheeling their wheelchair around. And there's quadriplegics who can't move any part of their body except their heads, and many go on to live for many years in that condition. As well as paraplegics. And those who have suffered strokes, leaving the right or left side of their bodies paralyzed.

At 68, my exercise only amounts to walking my ferret every night for 2-3 blocks, and an occasional bike trip, 3 blocks away, to the grocery store. And some yoga stretches. We have a gym in my 55+ community but I've never used it and rarely do I see people using it. When the pool is open and heated, I will use that occasionally.

It's time for beddy-bye! Prayerfully, I'll sleep 11 hours tonite!
One can definitely stay alive without exercise. The question is quality of life. Can you get around the way you want to? Can you pick up things from the floor, can you cut your toe nails, if you fall, can you get up on your own, can you get out of a chair on your own, if there was an emergency, can you get yourself out without needing assistance?

There are many more options besides jogging. Why not increase your walking to a few miles? Heck, do something simple like Leslie Sansone walking workouts. She has distances from 1-5 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
How did this get so polarized? I go to the gym for about 90 minutes 3 times a week and do short TRX ($20 clone actually) sessions at home for a few minutes on most other days. I am active outside - paddling when it's warm, raking leaves, , mowing grass, etc. I am in very good shape right now other than a few nagging joint problems. One of those might cause me a little down time and PT soon but I will be back at it and working around it ASAP if that happens. Fitness doesn't have to take over your life to be effective.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we have it down to weight days 40 minutes , cardio days 1 hour . we hate the gym and working out but it is our way of life . we don't want to be there any longer than we have to . 18 years of this crap is no fun .....

Old 11-15-2018, 07:33 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't understand the "sleep" or "exercise" camps. They go hand-in-hand.

People need different amounts of sleep. Personally, I really need eight, preferably closer to nine, to feel good. I can make it on seven. I've had about 8.5 the last two nights (roughly falling at 10 and getting up at 7, minus a little bit of time awake to go to the bathroom), and feel good today. If I get six hours of sleep or less, I'm struggling through the day. I'm a complete mess with six or less for more than one day in a row. If I can only get four or five hours of sleep for whatever reason, I might as well just stay up.

If you're doing vigorous exercise, you probably need more sleep than the average person just to help the body repair itself from the exercise. I also don't sleep as well unless I get some sort of physical activity in during the day. If I don't sleep much, I'm too tired to do much exercise. There's a relationship here.

I try to walk a mile or so most days on lunch, weather permitting. This time of the year is really tough for me with the short days and bad weather. I forced myself to go to the gym Tuesday night - walked two miles, tread water for ten minutes, swam some more, and did some weights. I felt better afterward than if I had just gone home.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Well, I don't think anything said touched the OP, at least in a positive way. It seems he was not seeking advice but consolation and little was to be found!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement