Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are a few small ones - almost all Hispanic.
exactly - see they are there!

Old 09-01-2019, 10:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Don't be afraid to go - lol

Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No, humans set up the system. It may come as a surprise to you, but Christians don't charge for their food pantries or require income statements. They figure if Jesus didn't charge to feed the 5,000 they shouldn't either. Talk to one sometime. You will be astonished to find that Christians care for their fellow human beings and don't condemn them to starve to death.
Many do. I think most of the soup kitchens and food pantries are run by Christians.

Others do not. One is right here in this thread saying there's no problem. Others like to isolate Bible verses out of context and misuse them, like "the poor you have with you always" and "if a man doesn't work, he shouldn't eat" to justify their lack of caring about feeding people. These conversations pop up regularly on R&S.

It's a reminder to assess people as individuals because there are all types in every group.

I've volunteered at a soup kitchen run by churches, synagogues, a mosque and a Sikh temple. I've handed out free brown bag lunches with a group made up of Jews, Christians, atheists, a Buddhist, and Muslims.

It's the hearts of the individuals who care, not the religion they belong to.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:57 AM

475 posts, read 318,774 times
Judging from some of the posts a lot of people didn't bother to read the article. Safety nets put in place to help those who are home bound and need food or can't afford to buy food are underfunded. They can't keep pace with the increasing number of seniors who need help, consequently, people are suffering.

This is a real problem that faces an aging population. Because someone lives in a town with ample food and resources for the poor doesn't mean the same exists in each and every town across the US. If this were true there wouldn't be a problem.

Some problems can't be fixed by buying rotisserie chickens or shopping at Aldi's.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm all for the food banks, but they apparently didn't qualify the recipients. Ie millionaires could come and get the free food. Don't tell me that people with plenty of money will not try to get free food. I have relatives that were millionaires and got meals on wheels.
You must have some pretty elaborate meals on wheels programs if your millionare relatives order it. That cannot be near the norm. I mean the food's gotta be pretty cheap stuff.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,449,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
You must have some pretty elaborate meals on wheels programs if your millionare relatives order it. That cannot be near the norm. I mean the food's gotta be pretty cheap stuff.
I agree its probably not near the norm, but it wouldn't surprise me if there plenty of people that could afford to get food elsewhere are using meals on wheels because they cant or don't want to grocery shop and/or cook.

That may have made sense when food delivery options were more limited, but maybe that's one thing that needs to change.

Now even in many small towns grocery and or restaurant delivery of prepared food is much more available than it used to be.

One article I read said people are asked to donate something for their meals if they can and that those who offer to pay the full cost get on the list quicker. That seems a little backwards.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,562,630 times
A couple that I was friends with needed meals on wheels after he got terminal cancer and had to quit working and she had Alzheimer’s so couldn’t remember how to cook. I had to provide proof of their income. Millionaires are not getting it. The food actually was tasty.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:35 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,562,630 times
Purple, I just had someone tell me that the waiting list for housing is 7 years where they live. That’s awful. So sorry you can’t live alone. Take care.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I guess they’ll just have to starve to death rather than learn to cook. There are these miraculous things called cookbooks. Joy of Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook cover the basics and have been around for almost a century. $5 in a used book store. Like a lot of people, I’m completely self-taught. In 2019, I use Google but I used cookbooks when I was young and living by myself.

If someone is disabled to the point where they can’t fend for themselves, sure.
Glasses are often not covered for the poor, so who can read those cookbooks? I am female and have a boys & girls cookbook, that's my level of cooking.

When it says 1 garlic clove, I put in one garlic clove. I know for sure it's correct since I only bought one garlic clove.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree its probably not near the norm, but it wouldn't surprise me if there plenty of people that could afford to get food elsewhere are using meals on wheels because they cant or don't want to grocery shop and/or cook.

That may have made sense when food delivery options were more limited, but maybe that's one thing that needs to change.

Now even in many small towns grocery and or restaurant delivery of prepared food is much more available than it used to be.

One article I read said people are asked to donate something for their meals if they can and that those who offer to pay the full cost get on the list quicker. That seems a little backwards.
yes it does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement