Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 AM

13 posts, read 24,199 times

Advertisements

Former California Girl Said:
"... this thread is about dogs who bark at me menacingly and are "warning" me that I'm too close to their property ... my point is that one can never really be certain which dogs are going to leave it at just the barking, and which dogs are going to attack. Also, even if none of the dogs ever attacked, just their snarling, growling, and vicious barking is WRONG. Owners of dogs who cannot behave in a socially acceptable manner have no business leaving their dogs out in their front yards, unsupervised, and unrestrained."

She Is Absolutely and Unassailably Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I can see where it can be very difficult to know the difference to a non-dog-person. And I feel bad for you about that.
do you? You have an odd way of expressing that, which remark taken in conjunction with your other remarks to FCG rather tends to imply otherwise. Perhaps dogs are equally difficult to read.

Quote:
I'm sure it's very disconcerting. But I'd be willing to bet that more than 9 out of 10 dogs that you are describing as "vicious" would not be described as such by someone who was not generally afraid of dogs.
You know no such thing. You're not there, in her shoes. If the dogs were on leashes, or trained, or if the dog owners weren't so anti-social, there would be no question of intent, and she could walk down her street peacefully. So you have no idea of her dilemma, by your own confession.

Quote:
This is why the advice you've been given in this thread has been geared mainly toward helping you overcome your fears and suggesting ways for you to more easily get along with NORMAL dogs.
Condescending. ick. [[shudder]] Don't listen to this kind of thing, FCG. If I may paraphrase this Samantha in a constructive way, you've also heard a lot about how to combat the attitudes of rude dog owners and introduce legislation that would eventually prove beneficial to the whole community.

Quote:
Yes, it's good to know you have support! It's also good to try to put some perspective on an issue such as this.
Yes, Samantha, perspective is the result of analytic observation conducted by a logical mind. Which is why your attempts to subvert FCG into thinking She needs to adjust to browbeating by the neighborhood dog owners are transparently ludicrous and therefore negligible.

FCG: all this sellin' wolf (pun intended) by certain parties in your direction does not need to detract one bit from your core beliefs and principles about this matter. You are in the right. Head up, girl. We feel for ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 AM

13 posts, read 24,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Dogs, on the other hand, are trainable.
Hurray! You Admitted It! Yes, Dogs can be trained to not bark at innocent passer-by!! Dog owners can be trained to keep their animals on a leash while outside, and be friendly and polite to innocent people walking down the street, too!!

Barking dogs are a public nuisance and warrant noise violation citations, as frequently as it takes to get the message across to the dog owner. That's for the health of the community (by added income from fees) and the training of the dog owner, by financial pain.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
summerrose, you clearly have some real issues regarding dogs, and aren't really reading even the posts that you're quoting, beyond trying to pick out sentences to prove your points that, when read in context, don't mean what you're trying to say (and probably even believe) they mean.

By the way, my dogs, who do bark when someone strange comes driving down our quarter mile drive (as I wish for them to do, both so that I can greet guests appropriately and will be notified of anyone else - we live out in the country and I'm often a woman alone out here), know the phrase, "They're invited" means that the person arriving is to be accepted. They were, guess what, trained to know that - they weren't born knowing it.

As for manipulation and using real reasons, every reason I've given on here has been the real one that I believe makes my point. If you don't like that it does make my point, that doesn't make it not true nor does it make it manipulation. The paragraph that you quoted was referring to another poster advocating giving "the children" and their safety as the reason for wanting the laws changed, rather than owning up and stating that it was because it annoys the OP that the dogs bark as she runs down the street. That's manipulation, coming up with a good excuse rather than the real reason that might not do the trick.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
TexasHorseLady says--" My dogs who do bark when someone comes down our quarter mile driveway"----------" We live out here in the country"

Yup, it appears the posters who are most defensive of barking and growling dogs are rural residents.

apples to oranges

IMHO, rural is where dogs belong (at least barking unrestrained dogs) but even at TexasHorseLady's rural residence, I don't think it would be proper if TexasHorseLady's dogs spent their day a quarter mile from the buildings -------growling , barking, unrestrained, at anyone who bikes or walks down a public road.

According to HorseLady, they don't.

so her point is ??????????????????????????????????????

Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
by the way, I see some posters are real estate agents.

I wonder how receptive people are to buying a house close to one with barking,growling, unrestrained dogs ?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
summerrose, you clearly have some real issues regarding dogs, and aren't really reading even the posts that you're quoting, beyond trying to pick out sentences to prove your points that, when read in context, don't mean what you're trying to say (and probably even believe) they mean.

By the way, my dogs, who do bark when someone strange comes driving down our quarter mile drive (as I wish for them to do, both so that I can greet guests appropriately and will be notified of anyone else - we live out in the country and I'm often a woman alone out here), know the phrase, "They're invited" means that the person arriving is to be accepted. They were, guess what, trained to know that - they weren't born knowing it.

As for manipulation and using real reasons, every reason I've given on here has been the real one that I believe makes my point. If you don't like that it does make my point, that doesn't make it not true nor does it make it manipulation. The paragraph that you quoted was referring to another poster advocating giving "the children" and their safety as the reason for wanting the laws changed, rather than owning up and stating that it was because it annoys the OP that the dogs bark as she runs down the street. That's manipulation, coming up with a good excuse rather than the real reason that might not do the trick.
You need a dog to let you know that someone's coming when your out naked hangin' clothes on the line.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You need a dog to let you know when someone's coming when your out naked hangin' clothes.
Nope, just to get my gun....the naked thing, it could be the last thing they see.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Wow! This is the thread that will never die! LOL!

Seriously though, I solved my own problem. I just don't walk around my neighborhood anymore. I bought a treadmill.

This thread has given me some good insight into unreasonable, fanatical dog owners, who think Fido can do no wrong, even if he is terrorizing innocent passers by who are walking in the street and nowhere near the dog's property.

I live in a city, not a rural area. And my basic take on things is that many (not all, I concede) dog owners are insensitive and clueless when it comes to their pets.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Wow! This is the thread that will never die! LOL!

Seriously though, I solved my own problem. I just don't walk around my neighborhood anymore. I bought a treadmill.

This thread has given me some good insight into unreasonable, fanatical dog owners, who think Fido can do no wrong, even if he is terrorizing innocent passers by who are walking in the street and nowhere near the dog's property.

I live in a city, not a rural area. And my basic take on things is that many (not all, I concede) dog owners are insensitive and clueless when it comes to their pets.
I am the owner of two dogs and totally see where you are coming from. If my dogs see some one they aren't going to run and say well there the end of our land I have to stop. When a dog is running at you and it isn't your it can be frightening and that isn't a fear of dogs. To many people say well my dog isn't mean or would not attack and apply that to all dogs when it isn't the case. We have a golden and a Boxer /Pitt Mix and of the two I would guess the Boxer/Pitt mix would be the more aggressive dog. Not the case, the Golden has growled at our own child while the Boxer is the most passive dog I have ever seen.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Almost every dog owner who had a dog who attacked and bit a human has at one time said "oh, my dog doesn't bite". Many dog owners are truly clueless of their dog's behavior because often times the dog acts perfectly fine around the owner. It's when the owner isn't around and the dog is guarding it's territory that a lot of the problems arise.
However, there are some dog owners who really do know how bad their dogs are. I think these people are vicariously acting out their anti-social behavior through their dogs, much like people who let their kids act up and misbehave in public places also get a certain enjoyment out of making other people around them miserable. Then you get excuses like "hey, that's just how dogs act" and " hey, you gotta let kids be kids". It all comes down to a lack of consideration for other human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living