Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 19,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Volunteer94 View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first posting. Forgive me if I re-ask questions previously answered.

I remember one of the Sound Warehouses on San Pedro. It was on the south side of Ridgeview Elementary. It was across the Street from the Old K-Mart there (now it's a Dollar Tree). I believe the old Sound Warehouse is now a kidney treatment center (before it was a kidney treatment center, it was Oriental Rug Gallery).

At last check, Murf's was still open. I live in the neighborhood and shame on me for not frequenting it more.

What happened to Blauser's Pharmacy? Did they retire?
Just saw your post this morning, and also just joined the forum. I happened to notice that the founder of Blauser's pharmacy passed away this week. If you check the obits in MySA.com, you'll see it, along with his background. He was a WWII vet. Mr. Blauser closed his pharmacy in 1985, but continued working for other retail pharmacies. I had forgotten about his place, and I think that is was located on Oblate Road? Thanks. Today 07:36 AM

Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Do you know what time frame this became the K-mart on San Pedro?
Anyone remember when the Fed Mart on 410 & VJ closed and then became the Target?
I remember just as it was stated early the change to target was in 82.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM

45 posts, read 176,166 times
Default Northside Jr. High and High School

Anybody old enough to have attended Northside Jr. High and High School in mid-50s? When they were out in the country, surrounded by bluebonnets?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM

22 posts, read 57,610 times
kiddie city

Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 20,536 times
I remember Kiddie City - it was THE place to go for toys...we had some friends that lived on Rector - where their backyard looked out on 410 - before North Star and all the stuff that is ther now. From their front yard you could look over towards San Pedro and watch the movies that were showing at the Drive In! WE lived in Alamo Heights - back when avergae folks could afford to live there! We used to go to the Alamo Drive In on Austin Highway...... Fun Days.

Today being the 40th anniversary of MLK's death - I remember the possibility of HemisFair '68 not openeing on the 6th. They really thoguht about postponing it - but didn't. Then 2 months later - we lost RFK. What an incredible time in history.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Gary Delaune

Gary DeLaune was the sportscaster on KENS, that wore crazy plaids strpes and anything else! Crazy ties too!

Who could forget Jud Ashmore? He wore some of the funkiest suits. Seems like the anchors wore the sophisticated suits, but Jud wore the loud stuff. There was another news reporter that used to wear some loud jackets, too. Gary somebody? Can't remember his last name.[/quote]

Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Default GW Jrs

[quote=irnag;347022]What was the time frame for GW Jrs? I don't recall their existence. If they came after 81, that could be why.

GWs was launched in 1977. I was working at Church's National Hdqtrs on
I-10 back then and all of us employees were the very happy guinea pigs for the test kitchens which were set up in a bldg right next to Hdqtrs. We got to try all the different burgers, fries in a pretend GWs....This lasted for a couple of weeks before they finally opened them. We had 4 day work weeks - Tuesday - Friday, as we had to wait for all the stores, nationwide to send their weekly paperwork. All info was processed weekly, I think there were 200+ stores from Chicago - St Louis - LA and everything in between.
It was a great place to work until they were bought out by Popeyes

Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
[quote=oberglabs;3356870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
What was the time frame for GW Jrs? I don't recall their existence. If they came after 81, that could be why.

GWs was launched in 1977. I was working at Church's National Hdqtrs on
I-10 back then and all of us employees were the very happy guinea pigs for the test kitchens which were set up in a bldg right next to Hdqtrs. We got to try all the different burgers, fries in a pretend GWs....This lasted for a couple of weeks before they finally opened them. We had 4 day work weeks - Tuesday - Friday, as we had to wait for all the stores, nationwide to send their weekly paperwork. All info was processed weekly, I think there were 200+ stores from Chicago - St Louis - LA and everything in between.
It was a great place to work until they were bought out by Popeyes
I remember about 10 years ago on the old church's property there was on old makeshift building and i wondered if it was used by church's at any point.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 38,125 times
Globe was another favorite of my folks. We went to the one on San Pedro at Rampart. I had heard Walgreen's onwed that chain but need to check into it further.

Macgrad89[/quote]

I vaguely remember a Globe store at the corner of Goliad at SE Military. I say 'vaguely' because my mother and I would go visit my Aunt, who was near Hot Wells, and we lived out in Valley-Hi. I was maybe 4 or 5 then.

I do remember Gibson's Department Store and also my mom collecting 'Texas Gold Star Stamps' and redeeming them at their store on SE (might be SW Military) near Pleasanton Rd. I remembered when the stores folded up and you had a limited amt of time to redeem the stamps.

Anyone remember Bruner's Dept. Stores? The one I remember was in Valley-Hi Mall.

Also, does anyone remember the 'abc' theater that was just outside Wonderland (now Crossroads Mall?). Their logo was exactly like network's abc.

It was a free standing theatre that was separate from the mall. My class took a field trip there to Roman Pollanski's version of 'Romeo and Juliet.'

Also, remember 'Burger Chef"? The one I went to was at the corner of Southcross and S. New Braunfels, just before the interstate. Burger Chef had 'Happy Meals' b4 Mc Donald's did.

I remember at some point they closed down and in the early mid-1980's, it was an Alfonso's(?) Mexican restaurant.

When I moved back from Austin, by that time the original building had been torn down for the Sonic Drive In that is there today.

When I was living in Austin, on my way to work I did see a Burger Chef on Airport Blvd., but I don't if it was actually a Burger Chef or they were just using the old signage.

ld001

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 PM

91 posts, read 323,790 times
Default Globe, K-Mart, et al

Primo,

Best I can remember the Globe on San Pedro becoming a K-Mart was 1980 or so, roughly when K-Mart first came to SA. Globe also took the old Gulf-Mart on Broadway but it operated a short time; that store became a K-Mart in the late 70s and was open for 3-4 years before that became Consumer's Commissary.

Target opened in San Antonio in February 1982. It seems to me FedMart shut their stores for a while, remodeled/expanded the buildings and reopened them in the mid to late 70s. FedMart left SA for good around 1981.

Globe also had stores in SA at Fredericksburg/410 (old Gulf-Mart), SE Military (close to S. Flores) and downtown across from Police Headquarters (street name escapes me - S. Santa Rosa?) There's still stuff in Mom's garage with Globe price stickers.

Macgrad89
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio