Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I remember the one on San Pedro/281 on the way to Canyon Lake. Was it a Fargos? In the HEB shopping center?
I ate at this place when it was called Jett's burgers a few years ago, they had the area closed off where they used to show the cartoons.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
How long had the Pistol been around? I moved here in '76, and I don't think it lasted more than a couple of years after that. "TCS" would know: he worked there. I have always thought that hanging out there was like a party in someone's house.
I worked there from about 75-77,78 or so. Felix closed the old Pistol in the early 70's to remodel and try to attract a better crowd. He reopened as Jay Silverheels and yes it attracted an upgraded Trinity crowd but you would still get the old regulars that would take Quaaludes and drink.
It was a party every weekend! I spun records on Saturday night and that was some of the best times I ever had. Yes that place had some brawls, but we used to offer up some food to SAPD that showed up at closing time to help us clear out the rowdy’s, then we would sit around and eat nachos and drink.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM

285 posts, read 677,897 times
After reading this thread nearly every spare minute for over a week, I finally finished. It was very enjoyable! I don't remember many of the places, but reading the thread still made me feel like I was home.

I only lived in San Antonio -in Valley Hi- for one year (1967-68 school year) and I was a member of the first freshman class at John Jay High School. After I moved, I graduated a year early so I could get back to the area sooner. I fell in love with the city AND a junior at Jay. When I returned in 1970 to attend UT-Austin, the young man's college girlfriend introduced me to my future husband. It definitely worked out for the best as we will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary in Texas next Sunday. (And, we plan to retire to Canyon Lake in less than 2 years.)

I can't contibute to places GBNF, but since I've lived most of my adult life in Virginia, I can possibly solve one mystery from a post GWhopper made on 12/16/07 in post #2203:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I remember as a small child going to Colonies North Elementary and being told most of the neighborhood streets in the area were named after towns or places that were part of the original 13 colonies of the US. I guess that was the "theme" of the area that the developers wanted to promote. Hence Colonies North. Tioga and Igo, though, were required by the sales contract by family selling it, so I guess the developers couldn't name those two. Most of the street on the Colonies North side adhere to that rule. There are some streets in the summit or Shenandoah side that do not. I knew a girl once who lived pretty close to the elementary school and her street was something like "Knotty Pine" or "Post Oak", some tree we don't even have here in South Texas. Goshen Pass is a real Virginia town, but Lands Run isn't. Maybe they ran out of towns before they ran out of streets?
Land's Run is a beautiful waterfall in the Shenadoah National Park! Hopefully, the mystery is finally solved.

Lori

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
After reading this thread nearly every spare minute for over a week, I finally finished. It was very enjoyable! I don't remember many of the places, but reading the thread still made me feel like I was home.

I only lived in San Antonio -in Valley Hi- for one year (1967-68 school year) and I was a member of the first freshman class at John Jay High School. After I moved, I graduated a year early so I could get back to the area sooner. I fell in love with the city AND a junior at Jay. When I returned in 1970 to attend UT-Austin, the young man's college girlfriend introduced me to my future husband. It definitely worked out for the best as we will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary in Texas next Sunday. (And, we plan to retire to Canyon Lake in less than 2 years.)

I can't contibute to places GBNF, but since I've lived most of my adult life in Virginia, I can possibly solve one mystery from a post GWhopper made on 12/16/07 in post #2203:

Land's Run is a beautiful waterfall in the Shenadoah National Park! Hopefully, the mystery is finally solved.

Lori
That solves it....Lands Run is the street that goes from the Summit of Colonies North into the Shenahoah subdivision. It has street names like Big Meadows, Goshen Pass, Brocks Gap, Ramsgate.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM

19 posts, read 38,125 times
Anyone remember 'Fed Mart'? (a predessor to Wal-Mart) in the 1970's? There were several locations throughout the city. Just about every Friday evening, mom & ! would go there, which was great for me, because I always got one of long, tall bags of popcorn they sold at the registers. Target came in later and swallowed them up.

ld001

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Does anyone remember an ice cream shop on San Pedro just north of 410 before McCarty? I'm pretty sure it's where the Subway shop is now. I remember they had a large dining room... well, it doesn't seem that large now that I'm older.

There was also a great Italian restaurant on San Pedro south of 410, the block just past the old orange SW Bell building. In front of where the AA Meetings are held. Shortly after that it became a really good Indian restaurant. I'm not sure what's there now. (Before it was the Italian restaurant I think it was seafood.)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld001 View Post
Anyone remember 'Fed Mart'? (a predessor to Wal-Mart) in the 1970's? There were several locations throughout the city. Just about every Friday evening, mom & ! would go there, which was great for me, because I always got one of long, tall bags of popcorn they sold at the registers. Target came in later and swallowed them up.

ld001
I also think there was a store called eagle? anyone remember that store?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,536 times
Remember the WAREHOUSE club over by the airport, great place to hang out, fun decor.
Jon Lindskog owned the Quarter House on Main down by SAC, had beer, wine coolers, popcrn foosball - another fun date place! He now owns the Cgessy Jane's in SA!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM

91 posts, read 323,790 times
Default FedMart

FedMart had two stores in San Antonio that I know of:

Vance Jackson at 410 (became a Target in 1982, closed in 2003 when the Super Target opened at Crossroads; building was demolished in 2004 for the new Academy store.)

S.W. Military at Zarzamora (became a Target in 1982, closed in the late 90s when the new Target opened west of the location, building was demolished soon after. Albertson's built a store on the site, left SA in 2002 and the building now has a Conn's.)

FedMart was based in San Diego, CA. They went belly up in the early 80s but I clearly remember seeing a FedMart sign in San Diego when I visited there in 1990. The founder of FedMart, Sol Price, got into the warehouse club business after FedMart's demise. His Price Club merged with a fledgling club chain out of Washington state. The merged company is now known as: Costco!

One outfit for which info is hard to find is Gulf-Mart. I remember a little about it as my folks went to the one at Broadway/410. I was surprised to see the building had been torn down when we went home last November.

Globe was another favorite of my folks. We went to the one on San Pedro at Rampart. I had heard Walgreen's onwed that chain but need to check into it further.

Macgrad89

Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post

Globe was another favorite of my folks. We went to the one on San Pedro at Rampart. I had heard Walgreen's onwed that chain but need to check into it further.

Macgrad89
Do you know what time frame this became the K-mart on San Pedro?
Anyone remember when the Fed Mart on 410 & VJ closed and then became the Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio