Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times

Advertisements

Convenience and price, certainly not for the service though. Just try and check out at shift change time when there might be one speed lane and one main checkout open. Guess everybody's in back doing the "cheer".

This week I needed regular food, dog food, pet bird food, motor oil, an air compressor hose, a few other things plus had to stop at the in-store bank branch. Everything in one spot, one trip, one stop. To make a stop at the grocery store, the pet store, the auto store and then to the bank, all at different locations, just isn't cost or time effective. It wastes gas if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 AM

429 posts, read 684,871 times
because most of us are too lazy to go to more than 1 store to shop .most of the time products are of a cheaper quality but we are too LAZY TO GO TO THE PHARMACY,GROCERY STORE,HAIRDRESSER,HARDWARE STORE,PET STORE,SHOE STORE,BANK,CLINIC,,NAIL SALON,AND OF CORSE SUBWAY,NOT TO MENTION;TOY STORE ,CHILDRENS CLOTHING STORE,OFFICE SUPPLY STORE AND PHOTO MAT.....THATS WHY i GO TO WAL-MART ANYWAY......

Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I was taught to shop in locally owned businesses because I grew up in a business family. But I also live in a small city and there isn't anyplace to shop other than Walmart. Everyone goes there multiple times a week. This happened way before Walmart came to town when malls came into being. Just that we never got one.

We have a couple of small groceries where we also shop and anytime we can use one of the few remaining businesses we do (hardware, etc) if they have what we need. Often times the locals do have better prices but may not have the variety for which we previously might have had to drive an hour or two to get.

Ours is clean and efficient. Noticeably so at fast food places too compared to other places I've been. When you have a real lack of jobs you can hire the best workers.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
I buy some items there, but not everything. I don't buy meats there. I go to Costco or Kroger's for that.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
We don't have a super Walmart so that is not pertinent unless I drive to the one that has groceries.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:37 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
About 5 years ago we flew to Germany to spend a couple weeks visiting my step daughter and her kids. Hubby is military and was in Iraq. The funny part was we flew 4800 miles and what was the first thing we did? Go to Walmart! lol Germany has since gotten rid of Walmart because of their non union belief.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Because they care more about saving a nickel than America
What corporation doesn't?

My whole complaint about the 'everyone should hate walmart' bandwagon is that I don't see what wal-mart is doing that is any different than most other companies.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
because most of us are too lazy to go to more than 1 store to shop .most of the time products are of a cheaper quality but we are too LAZY TO GO TO THE PHARMACY,GROCERY STORE,HAIRDRESSER,HARDWARE STORE,PET STORE,SHOE STORE,BANK,CLINIC,,NAIL SALON,AND OF CORSE SUBWAY,NOT TO MENTION;TOY STORE ,CHILDRENS CLOTHING STORE,OFFICE SUPPLY STORE AND PHOTO MAT.....THATS WHY i GO TO WAL-MART ANYWAY......
"LAZY"? Or just don't have the time. I do have a day job....and a life. If anyone can provide goods and services in a one-stop shop format, I'm there.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Well.. Wal Mart has pretty much monopolized smaller towns/cities across the U.S. It might be the ONLY place to shop.
That would be because they lowballed pricing to eliminate the small local business owners. Small towns managed to survive prior to WalMart's existence. The destruction of small town downtowns can be directly tied to their presence on the outskirts.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
Let see how can we manage shopping time here.
food - shop at stores on the way home from work, 30 mins 2-3 time a week and pick up some sale items that you may needed in the future.
clothing - 2 times a year, have a good after noon out do some shopping.
banking - direct deposit, pay bill online and once a month go in have a nice talk to people at the bank and take cash out just in case you need cash in the next 31 days.

that is not a lot of time spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
"LAZY"? Or just don't have the time. I do have a day job....and a life. If anyone can provide goods and services in a one-stop shop format, I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products