Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

I shop where it's cheap, and I don't care what store it is. That includes Target, WalMart, Big Lots, and the $.99 Cent Only Stores. I use coupons from the Sunday paper, and print them out from the internet. I'm really, really cheap. Some things are cheaper at WalMart, some at Target.

I like Fiber One cereal for breakfast, and WalMart carries it, but not the variety that I like, but Target does. So I buy it at Target, and the price is within a few cents of the price at WalMart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I shop where it's cheap, and I don't care what store it is. That includes Target, WalMart, Big Lots, and the $.99 Cent Only Stores. I use coupons from the Sunday paper, and print them out from the internet. I'm really, really cheap. Some things are cheaper at WalMart, some at Target.

I like Fiber One cereal for breakfast, and WalMart carries it, but not the variety that I like, but Target does. So I buy it at Target, and the price is within a few cents of the price at WalMart.
Agreed. Wal-Mart is a great place to shop at and I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't shop there, than fine. However, no need to insult the ones that do.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:01 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I guess my perspective is different than most people's perspectives. I live a few miles down the road from the Wal-Mart World Headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas (we actually have a Walton Five & Dime here). Almost everything around here receives a ton of money donated from Wal-Mart or the Walton family. Wal-Mart also pressures each of its distributors to have a distribution center in the same city as the headquaters which brings even more jobs to our area.

Needless to say, we love Wal-Mart in NW Arkansas.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
I HATE Wal-Mart. Not because of their efficiency, their business model, or the fact that they destroy local businesses - I'm an economics major and can appreciate their innovation. In fact, I admire Wal-Mart as a corporation.

I hate Wal-Mart because after leaving, I find myself empathizing with people who go on psychotic shooting rampages or who move to the mountains to live off the land. The place makes me a little crazy if I go when it's busy. All I see is ignorant materialism, targeted-market advertising paying dividends, consumerism - people spending money they don't have on garbage they don't need.

But they've sure got low prices, so every now and then I grin and bear it.

I think people suffer from what I call "Dollar-Store Syndrome." When I'm in the Dollar-Store, I find myself buying things I never intended to buy because "it's only a dollar." So rather than save money, I end up spending more than I planned on stuff I never wanted.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
...The place makes me a little crazy if I go when it's busy. All I see is ignorant materialism, targeted-market advertising paying dividends, consumerism - people spending money they don't have on garbage they don't need...

Could you please explain how your materialism is enlightened...while the rest of the crowds' is ignorant?

And you can look at total strangers and determine their financial condition and what merchandise "they don't need"?

Amazing!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Walmart saves people money. Period. Like it or not. Name brands made in the USA will be cheaper. Off brands made overseas will be cheaper. If it isn't a store manager can lose his/her job real quick. Sam Walton was a man with a plan. He brought savings to the rural USA that other big box stores snubbed and look where it got his family. Name another business where a cashier has retired a millionaire....I try to pick off hours to shop to avoid crowds. Same for any shopping anywhere. I have forgotten more about Walmart that most people will ever really know. I carried keys to a store long enough to know exactly what I have said is the truth. Retail is a tough business. Be good at it or lose your shirt.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Walmart saves people money. Period.

Totally agree. I have just moved to an area that doesn't allow Walmart & I really miss it. You cannot beat them for prices on detergents, cat food and many other items. No one says that you have to shop there, merely that it's convenient (one-stop), not unpleasant and really cost-saving. How can that be a terrible thing?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Could you please explain how your materialism is enlightened...while the rest of the crowds' is ignorant?

And you can look at total strangers and determine their financial condition and what merchandise "they don't need"?

Amazing!

LOL

I guess if we want it, but he doesn't than it's senseless materialism, in his eyes.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
He never did. He says he is ashamed himself over the "Dollar syndrome":

Quote:
When I'm in the Dollar-Store, I find myself buying things I never intended to buy because "it's only a dollar." So rather than save money, I end up spending more than I planned on stuff I never wanted.
He is feeling bad about the whole thing, including his own contribution to the situation.

Quote:

Amazing!
Nice rhetorical. Are you being serious here? Are you saying that every single item, every bag of Cheetos, every "Turnip Twaddler" (from Ronco!!) is a necessity in the American Home?

Way to show the claws there man.

Rwarw! FSSSS!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
If we could just do away with unions, minimum wages, worker benefits, child labor laws, anti-slavery, and environmental and consumer protection, we wouldn't need Walmart and it's foreigners and could make everything we need right here in the USA at affordable, and profitable, prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products