Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM

4,482 posts, read 3,857,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Hard to comprehend why so many without power here given the storm was relatively mild from what was expected, and no flooding. So one can easily say that the power companies (TECO and Duke) are not prepared for a hurricane to hit here.

From the TECO outage map they are making progress. I had seen a high of 340K customers without power. Right now it's reported at 282K, so still lots of progress to make. I hope you get power restored soon. Being in hotel is inconvenient but at least you safe and comfortable.

TECO does a horrible job in general, so I don't expect them to restore power for at least a week.
Having no power for most is a minor inconvenience (first world problem). But for me, if it goes on for days and days, it's a dealbreaker. I work from home and am expected to be connected to my computer. My bosses and colleagues in the rest of the country/world are humming right along wondering why I'm not working. Hence the need for a hotel.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Sounds like you needed a contingency plan from the get go.....back up plan, as they say. Find access? Perhaps vacate to a region where elect, Internet isn't disrupted? Lesson learning continues for all of us.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sounds like you needed a contingency plan from the get go.....back up plan, as they say. Find access? Perhaps vacate to a region where elect, Internet isn't disrupted? Lesson learning continues for all of us.
Yup. I need to install a permanent generator ASAP.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
TECO does a horrible job in general, so I don't expect them to restore power for at least a week.
Having no power for most is a minor inconvenience (first world problem). But for me, if it goes on for days and days, it's a dealbreaker. I work from home and am expected to be connected to my computer. My bosses and colleagues in the rest of the country/world are humming right along wondering why I'm not working. Hence the need for a hotel.
I am in the same boat, there are some cowork spaces available in town. The one that I am currently working out of was $20 a day, not bad. I do engineering, lots of drafting so working out of the single display from my laptop sucks but it's doable.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I am in the same boat, there are some cowork spaces available in town. The one that I am currently working out of was $20 a day, not bad. I do engineering, lots of drafting so working out of the single display from my laptop sucks but it's doable.
Good thinking.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Same here. I really need my big screen too.

But hey. At least we are not dead. And my house is still there.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Same here. I really need my big screen too.

But hey. At least we are not dead. And my house is still there.
I just got a message from my alarm panel, it looks like my power is back. The internet is up because I can see my access points too.
I know what you mean, i didnt leave until sunday morning I was really trying to ride it out, but it looked like a direct hit for a while. We were already thinking about that deductible, a couple of days with no power is fine. Anyway this place is pretty good, its got tables, desks, and booths for conference calls all you can need for a couple of days.
CoworkTampa | A collaborative space for like-minded professionals

Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 PM

10,119 posts, read 7,778,315 times
Quote:
Anyway this place is pretty good, its got tables, desks, and booths for conference calls all you can need for a couple of days.
CoworkTampa | A collaborative space for like-minded professionals
What a neat idea. I never even knew places like this existed. Smart idea to make money whoever thought of this.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM

185 posts, read 170,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Hard to comprehend why so many without power here given the storm was relatively mild from what was expected, and no flooding. So one can easily say that the power companies (TECO and Duke) are not prepared for a hurricane to hit here
Tampa area just got hit with a Cat 1 hurricane. Maybe less that what was expected but still a very large storm.

Just for some reference I'm on Long Island. When Sandy hit, it hit as a tropical storm and it hit in New Jersey over 100 miles from Long Island. I was without power for 11 days.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM

If you're reading this, you probably don't have elect problems:

Crews are working 24/7 to restore power. In total, Hurricane Irma knocked out power to 425,000 customers, with 335,000 customers at the peak. Power has already been restored to 145,000 customers, or about 34 percent of those affected.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay