Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 AM

65 posts, read 71,319 times

Advertisements

If anyone is driving around St. Pete I would love to know what Gandy looks like next to the dog track and would like to know if Oak st NE is flooded at Barneys. Thanks

Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
this has been a learning experience for me watching the media trying to make an event when there is none....
Lol, seen it many times over. And not just when it comes to hurricanes.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
if you think about it, most likely the initial forecast for a east coast FL hit might have had a greater impact w/ flooding from the Tropical Storms, feeder bands ....how many times have we seen the area get flooded from a few days of heavy rain....appears Miami, FT Lauderdale is getting that flooding that we usually get.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM

40% of TECO are without power per EOC update - they must be miserable without internet (joke).....explains why some of the regular posters like Carl are absent this a.m.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,244,948 times
Quote:
40% of TECO are without power per EOC update - they must be miserable without internet (joke).....explains why some of the regular posters like Carl are absent this a.m.
Teco is reporting 45% without power right now, and reported outages keep going up. There's very obvious pockets where outages have occurred, and further to the west of me. Chalking that up to old equipment and above ground lines there vs. newer equipment and lines run underground in the newer developments.

Kudo's to TECO for keeping my lights on, and to Spectrum for keeping my internet running.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 AM

My next door neighbors had friends who had come up from Miami when Irma was reported going that direction. Then they got scared again when they say Irma was heading this way. Their friends tried to get my neighbor to go back to Miami with them as they saw that as a safe zone. Fortunately my neighbor decided to stay put, however their friends did head back to Miami for safety. I haven't seen my neighbor yet to see how their friends fared.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM

285 posts, read 386,430 times
Lots of media bashing in this thread. While I get the anger about media disappointment and the so-called "flop" of a storm, it's pretty clear they and most Mets relied on what the models were saying, and the consensus was not good for Tampa, both with track and intensity, even with the golden-child ECMWF; they were clearly off at the margins yesterday, and it made all the difference for Tampa. However, I think the NHC "cone of uncertainty" was on.

In hindsight, I didn't need to evacuate to Macon, GA with my family, but overall I'm glad I did given the information I had. Anyways, I'm in South Tampa, and awaiting an assessment from a friend.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Lots of media bashing in this thread. While I get the anger about media disappointment and the so-called "flop" of a storm, it's pretty clear they and most Mets relied on what the models were saying, and the consensus was not good for Tampa, both with track and intensity, even with the golden-child ECMWF; they were clearly off at the margins yesterday, and it made all the difference for Tampa. However, I think the NHC "cone of uncertainty" was on.

In hindsight, I didn't need to evacuate to Macon, GA with my family, but overall I'm glad I did given the information I had. Anyways, I'm in South Tampa, and awaiting an assessment from a friend.
my bashing is only about this a.m.'s coverage as well as the coverage of Naples where the broadcasters were standing in rain pretending this was going to be worse than Andrew.....Cuomo CNN uses alarming language to keep viewers......the storm's end result wasn't a fraction of what was predicted and he should have reflected that instead of making it sound like ground zero Hiroshima....

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post

Media that informs is great and needed. Media that over sensationalizes or over dramatizes is what I believe people are taking exception to.

Examples:
  • no reason for Jim Cantore, or any other reporter, to be standing outside in hurricane winds other than for sensationalize.
  • Two other posts here have highlighted reporter being overly dramatic on the conditions but one had people on bikes zip on by and another had two guys out in shorts running.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
my bashing is only about this a.m.'s coverage as well as the coverage of Naples where the broadcasters were standing in rain pretending this was going to be worse than Andrew.....Cuomo CNN uses alarming language to keep viewers......the storm's end result wasn't a fraction of what was predicted and he should have reflected that instead of making it sound like ground zero Hiroshima....
Cuomo lies like a rug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-beYBLrkNAg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay