Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM

279 posts, read 415,765 times

Advertisements

Another thing that people forget, or as you say, the victor writes the history book is that the Civil War was sparked because of high tariffs against the South and not slavery. Slavery did not evolve as an excuse to start the war till later. Secession was used peacefully to break away from the high tariffs put on them. The North were the ones that actually declared war on the south. What is happening today is what happened in the past. Federal Government is trying to control our lives again and impede on our rights which were God given rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Our forefathers also had to fight for their rights as well. Voting does not always work especially with a President who is determined to take those rights away.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,050 times
Default It is Easier to Give Birth than to Raise the Dead.

Trying to correct the abuses in a Federal System gone bad from corruption, incompetence, inefficiency, not to mention the size and complexity of a bureaucracy consisting of 3,000+ unconstitutional agencies, bureaus, and departments, is like trying to talk a fox into stop stealing chickens. It cannot be done. "So don't try," as my sainted mother used to say, "try to teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig."

I believe the citizens of the 50 "sovereign states" are looking to Texas.

First, Texas has the constitutional right to seceed, the historical precident of having been a nation prior to statehood, not to mention an economy that would insure it's viability.

If Texas would announce that it will have NO CORPORATE INCOME TAX, it would insure that a multitude of large companies will immediate relocate to Texas, swelling the job market. A currency backed by gold would further insure it's worldwide leadership in the financial and economic markets. Constitution loving Americans from all the other states would begin migrating to Texas to both work in the private sector, as well as serving in her military, andwould even pay taxes gladly, for the opportunity to live under government by consent of the governed. The US Federal govenment would be virtually powerless to stop Texas. I predict that as postulated Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the Eastern counties of New Mexico would petition to be annexed by Texas. This move by Texas would prompt the states of the mountain west, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and the Dakotas to seceed and join together to form a second new independent republic. And so and on and so forth.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
TexasReb,
I apologize for getting worked up. The topic of secession is just VERY touchy (and not to mention completely illogical) to me.
No apology necessary, BlueSceen!

There is nothing wrong with reasonable people disagreeing.

Quote:
How can anyone advocate secession when the biggest problem with our country is voter apathy? If we had 70, 80, 90% turnout for elections (presidential AND midterm) and we still had a government that wouldn't listen to us I might be more open to the idea.
I don't think anyone is really advocating secession. I sure ain't. But think on it a minute. A lot of reason for voter apathy is that the average voter feels powerless to change ANYTHING. And can't. It is not so much the Congress or the President, but the totally gone hay-wire federal government bureaucracy that is the problem. Throw every one of the bums out of office and the cancer of the feds will still be in place.

THIS is the stuff secession movements are made of. It is not a North/South matter, anymore. But just a general grassroot feeling that something is VERY wrong. It is not Rebs vs. Yanks anymore...but Red vs. Blue.

Quote:
We just elected the first black president in the history of the country for pete's sake. Regardless of your political leanings having a black man on the presidential ballot was a watershed moment for the country and yet we STILL had less than 60% voter turnout. That's pathetic. Mid-terms are even worse ~ typically less than 40%.
Again, part of the reason for the low turnout is that many feel simply powerless to do much about it. Just throw up their hands and decide "to hell with it"

I don't give a good flying damn about what color the president is. What I DO give a damn about is just how devoted the Chief Executive is to the original intent of the Constituion of the United States of America. That is, an absolute dedication to upholding the principles of the Bill of Rights.

I honestly feel safe in saying that if our Founding Fathers were alive today, they would be appalled. And they were the original secessionists...

As it is? I am going to hit the sack! LOL G'night, y'all!

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-17-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If (and it's not gonna happen) Texas were to secede, within a year the state would be overrun with the Mexican drug cartels and we'd be completely powerless to stop it. What do you think is a bigger threat to them? The Texas National Guard or the US Armed Forces?

Stop being moronic. Secession isn't the answer...unless of course you're willing to be a member of the new Texas Army and fight the US and the Mexican cartels at the same time.

As I've said before, check out Kilgore supporter Bob Enyart. He's a "light" version of Fred Phelps. That's enough for me to laugh off Kilgore's candidacy.
Thank you. Within 5 years (and I may be giving it that too much credit) Texas will come crawling back to the United States. If Texas secedes, who are the allies? Mexico? Cuba? Russia? It won't be the United States I know that and if any body thinks we would establish friendly relations with the US, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Not to mention that many of the minorities (including the majorities especially in urban communities) would haul tail right out of this state err country err republic. Whatever the pro-seceders want to call it. Besides, I bet most Texans wouldn't go for it anyway. Well the ones that actually live in urban communities that is.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Thank you. Within 5 years (and I may be giving it that too much credit) Texas will come crawling back to the United States. If Texas secedes, who are the allies? Mexico? Cuba? Russia? It won't be the United States I know that and if any body thinks we would establish friendly relations with the US, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Not to mention that many of the minorities (including the majorities especially in urban communities) would haul tail right out of this state err country err republic. Whatever the pro-seceders want to call it. Besides, I bet most Texans wouldn't go for it anyway. Well the ones that actually live in urban communities that is.

Texas will not crawl back & even if many of the minorities & possibly some majorities do leave Texas it would be good riddens. Texas has 23,507,783 people in this state. The ones that do leave well it wouldn't hurt our feelings anyway. Our GDP is $1,065,891,000,000,our oil is 393,000,000 barrels and we still have plenty for 300 years,our natural gas is 5613039 MMcf. Texas provides the largest contingent of troops for the U.S. war machine. We lead the nation in the computer industry.We have the largest health,research,trauma & burn centers. We have our own ports & shipping lanes.We are totally self sufficient in beef,poultry,hogs & vegetables. Oh and by the way we also have NASA.
As far as allies most of the other states that want to secede and there are a quite a few would be our allies along with Great Britian considering Obama done insulted them anyway. I think we will do just fine thank you. Believe me when I say that there are a quite a lot of people out there that would agree to it and then some.

Thank you kindly & good night
God Be With You

Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
What are the comps ? It better not be overpriced in this RE market..buyer's market you know Can I get an 80/20 ARM ? Are you doing a short sale ?
Will you pay closing costs ?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csabygod View Post
Trying to correct the abuses in a Federal System gone bad from corruption, incompetence, inefficiency, not to mention the size and complexity of a bureaucracy consisting of 3,000+ unconstitutional agencies, bureaus, and departments, is like trying to talk a fox into stop stealing chickens. It cannot be done. "So don't try," as my sainted mother used to say, "try to teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig."

I believe the citizens of the 50 "sovereign states" are looking to Texas.

First, Texas has the constitutional right to seceed, the historical precident of having been a nation prior to statehood, not to mention an economy that would insure it's viability.

If Texas would announce that it will have NO CORPORATE INCOME TAX, it would insure that a multitude of large companies will immediate relocate to Texas, swelling the job market. A currency backed by gold would further insure it's worldwide leadership in the financial and economic markets. Constitution loving Americans from all the other states would begin migrating to Texas to both work in the private sector, as well as serving in her military, andwould even pay taxes gladly, for the opportunity to live under government by consent of the governed. The US Federal govenment would be virtually powerless to stop Texas. I predict that as postulated Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the Eastern counties of New Mexico would petition to be annexed by Texas. This move by Texas would prompt the states of the mountain west, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and the Dakotas to seceed and join together to form a second new independent republic. And so and on and so forth.
Yeah, sounds like a piece of cake.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM

The Texas Constitution :Freedom And Sovereignty Of State,

Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States, and the maintenance of our free institutions and the perpetuity of the Union depend upon the preservation of the right of local self-government, unimpaired to all the States.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM

The Texas Constitution: Inherent Political Power, Republican Form Of Government.

All political power is inherent in the people , and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expediant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas