Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times

Advertisements

Like I keep saying we have had a good, experiance in Utah County. Its a quirky state wich most people by now should know I think is a good thing. The people here are really friendly and helpfull, something wich is rare thees days(then againg DH thinks I am really quirky). I do not think most people care that we are not LDS and if they do oh well. Life is way to short to worrry about such things and the world way to wonderful.
Blessings Michelleleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 15,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermusique View Post
What I can't believe is people that are LDS that tell me I need to move out of Utah county and that they wouldn't even live there. Why do they feel like that? That's terrible to feel like people just can't get along!

I agree with you kermusique...i LOVE it down here, and i'm not LDS. i'm close enough to salt lake to get away, but salt lake is no san fran either! i mean, sometimes these message boards make it sound like salt lake is like: LAS VEGAS or something... it's all utah folks...enjoy it for what it IS, rather than what it is NOT.

poodledoodledude

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM

15 posts, read 89,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
We just felt we weren't good enough or likeable enough. Instead, we were just a different religion and that seemed to really irk a lot of people. I often ask myself how this may have affected who we have become as adults. For example, all but one of us has two masters degrees apiece. I kind of wonder if it had something to do with making up for feeling inadequate as non-Mormon rejects growing up in Utah during the 1980s. Just a thought...
That describes my life right there. I lived in NY until I was 12, I always remembered myself as outgoing and very sociable, I had friends from many backgrounds mexicans, italians, africans, white protestants, chinese, jewish. When I moved to Utah I had 3 friends, whereas everyone else in school were close friends. I started thinking that I was antisocial or not likeable.

I had relatives who moved here from Texas who had no success either, while I delved further into antisocial behaviors, they were very outgoing. They talked about the parties they went to and showed me pictures of all the hot girls they dated when they lived in Texas. Since they've moved to Utah, they spent every weekend playing World of Warcraft. I had a few friends to hang out with, they didn't have a single one. The only person that hung out with them was me.

Socializing is hard that's about the only thing I don't like about Utah. I would be lying if my experiences were all bad in Utah.

Pros:
Hot girls, the hottest ones are rarely LDS because they get so much sexual advances.
Awesome outdoors, some of the most fun I've had.
Generally good people.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 17,114 times
If by Utah Valley you mean Utah County - then yes I can believe these issues occurr. Utah County is know to be very LDS and very conservative.

I myself live just on the other side of the hill in Salt Lake County (Draper specifically), I am not LDS, I am not Catholic. My son has had simular issues but not to the same degree. He does have one Morman friend and I have a few as well - however they are non practicing and tend to be more open to outsiders. Most of my neighbors were very friendly when we first moved here, but once they found out I was a "divorced" mom and not LDS, they no longer associate. But that's fine, I tend to keep to myself as well.

I figure if someone is going to be that shallow and judgemental - then they really are not the type of person I want to associate with anyway.

Utah is a very nice place and there are alot of nice people here too. It just takes time to get to know them.

If you plan on staying in Utah, you might want to check out different communities. They are all not the same. The closer you get to the city the more tolerent people seem to be.

Good Luck and hang in there

Old 08-23-2009, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,096 times
Default leavingthewest

I am not so sure why they would ostracize you for being a single divorced mother. Many of the Mormons I know are divorced, married, divorced again, remarried, divorced and then remarried.. . It does not appear to be a big deal in the LDS religion. I really think they are very friendly people and helpful to a point. However, I am told that there is a limit to there relationships with non-LDS people. They are encouraged to "recruit" the non-LDS. Outside that it is frowned upon to socialize with non-LDS.

It does seem there is an influx of people from other states. This is diluting the overall population of most areas. And given the number of non-practicing LDS, it appears to be easier to live and work in Utah. Personally, I prefer not associating with practicing Mormons. I am not trying to be discriminating, but I really have nothing in common with them. I am deeply religious but my belief system clashes with their's. However, in everyday life I am sociable and kind to everyone.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
However, I am told that there is a limit to there relationships with non-LDS people. They are encouraged to "recruit" the non-LDS. Outside that it is frowned upon to socialize with non-LDS
This hasn't been my experience AT ALL. For the last 8 yrs I have lived in 3 different areas in Davis Co. My family and myself have been very welcomed and invited to be involved. The majority of people I interact with are LDS and my non-membership has never been an issue. We are very good friends with several of them...."good" as in going on vacation with them.

I think most Christian churches are told to "spread the word", so this is not unique to the LDS. And there is a huge difference between "let me give you this book of Mormon", and "would you like to come to our Relief Society activity tonight?"

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM

36 posts, read 131,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackythefrog View Post
That describes my life right there. I lived in NY until I was 12, I always remembered myself as outgoing and very sociable, I had friends from many backgrounds mexicans, italians, africans, white protestants, chinese, jewish. When I moved to Utah I had 3 friends, whereas everyone else in school were close friends. I started thinking that I was antisocial or not likeable.

I had relatives who moved here from Texas who had no success either, while I delved further into antisocial behaviors, they were very outgoing. They talked about the parties they went to and showed me pictures of all the hot girls they dated when they lived in Texas. Since they've moved to Utah, they spent every weekend playing World of Warcraft. I had a few friends to hang out with, they didn't have a single one. The only person that hung out with them was me.

Socializing is hard that's about the only thing I don't like about Utah. I would be lying if my experiences were all bad in Utah.

Pros:
Hot girls, the hottest ones are rarely LDS because they get so much sexual advances.
Awesome outdoors, some of the most fun I've had.
Generally good people.
Sounds like my experience. I was born in Idaho Falls and then moved to San Luis Obispo California when I was 6, moved to Orem when I was 7. I NEVER had to work to make friends in Either Idaho or Cali. People were so much more accepting and friendly and they liked me for me. but I knew even at the age of 7, there was something off about Utah County people, the kids were so so so rude. This caused me, an already shy person, to become a total introvert. My brothers and sisters left as soon as they could to go back to Idaho to live with my dad cause they hated it to. I was treated like -ish coming from a broken home living in a half average/ half wealthy ward, needless to say, My childhood would have been better if we hadn't moved here, but what can you do? I don't care anymore, I'm an adult now and live my life the way I want to.

Bottom line is, yes Utah County is weird, it really is, but just deal with it or move. I've lived many places and they all have goods and bads, I live in Orem right now for the time being and I just deal with it, I like it here thanks to a large group of friends that I have alot in common with, also, don't worry about how other people here are, just be happy with yourself and tell them to F*** off if they give you grief. But...I can sure as hell tell you I will not raise my kids in Utah County

Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
Here's the deal. Utah County is a crap shoot. There has been post after post that has been contradicted, proving that results may vary.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Here's the deal. Utah County is a crap shoot. There has been post after post that has been contradicted, proving that results may vary.
Yes, but I have an extremely devout, lifelong mormon friend who lives in Provo, and even she feels it's a little much there. This is a girl that was extremely offended after watching National Lampoon's christmas vacation, and watches no R rated movies amoung other things. I'm thinking if even she finds if uncomfortable there, than the average non-mormon outsider is probably going to be uncomfortable as well.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Hell! i'm a native of Utah and would never consider living in the holy land (Utah County) if you can consider residing in Utah County living.

amen to that. That is the LAST place in the state I would consider living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah