Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
And the only demonstration of how much I value her is a damn ring? How about, say, putting bread on the table? Always being there for her? Or even having the nuts to say "Hey, this might sound crazy but I really want to build a life with you and I'll do whatever I can to make sure it works, through thick and thin"?

Of course my laptop isn't more valuable than a woman I want to marry. But I do think it is more valuable than a not-that-rare piece of rock.
Sure diamonds aren't rare, but do us a favor and sell your computer in about 5 - 10 years and tell us how much $ you get for it. if we had to sell my ring at this point after 10 years of owning it, we'd get what he paid for it or possibly more. It's not an investment piece, but despite not being "rare" it won't depreciate like your laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 AM

664 posts, read 773,862 times
Why must women be marked as married? Why do you need a big rock on your finger as a sign of commitment? Someone who doesn't give his wife a ring isn't as committed as someone who buys the big rock? How does the presence of a ring have anything at all to do with commitment?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Why must women be marked as married? Why do you need a big rock on your finger as a sign of commitment? Someone who doesn't give his wife a ring isn't as committed as someone who buys the big rock? How does the presence of a ring have anything at all to do with commitment?
It doesn't. Some of us just like jewelry

I got a ring, he got a truck. We still have both only my ring is worth a LOT more than his truck is now

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
You're right. It doesn't prove anything. I was committed to my guy prior to the ring. It was just a good excuse for a piece of jewelry.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
I invested about $6000 in engagement ring and his/hers bands. White gold simple bands and the her E-ring was also white cold with a Marquise cut diamond.(Ironic the marquise cut makes a diamond look larger!) High quality too. Blue Nile provided a fair deal compared to Mayors with the same rating. I was happy. Able to do the honeymoon in DR with the monies saved.

Wifey was happy. That is all that matters.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Id rather have a tractor.
I've got a tractor...

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
For all these guys saying they won't spend a damn thing on a ring for their future Mrs. - that it shouldn't matter - that rings don't mean anything - that if she wants a rock you're going to kick her to the curb - that a ring is stupid - blah blah blah -
Talk to us when you have actually met someone you really love and want to spend the rest of our life with! I have a feeling talking about some imaginary women (that some of you seem to think is a shallow, materialistic gold digger - although I'm not sure why you would be proposing to said woman in the first place) is very different from actually being in love with someone and wanting to make her feel special and loved.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM

426 posts, read 558,982 times
I couldnt afford one back then but over the years i have made up for it and up for it and up for it...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
When me and my ex were VERY lightly discussing marriage, something like this came up. He had just spent $3500 on a new suspension system for his car (he actually started a new credit card for just this purpose) but told me I had a $300 limit for a ring, and if it was anymore expensive than that I would have to cover it.

I didn't want a ring in the first place, but the fact that he would gladly spend money on his car but freaked out at the thought of spending money on me, his possible future wife, really made me re-think things.
What if you spent a few hundred dollars on your favorite shoe brand, purse, etc. and he got upset because you don’t spend that money on him?

I guess women do place a lot of importance on the ring and how much a man has to spend on them but not the other way around.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've got a tractor...

Im officially jealous.

If I had one of those big expensive engagement rings Id sell it a buy a tractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings