Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm disappointed if even Singaporeans don't know him, I think your sample is limited. Any real music fan in Singapore would know Hendrix. Most don't take Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus seriously. No, I doubt Singaporeans are as clueless about music as you claim. If they are then other asians are moreso.
Lady gaga played a 3 day concert and you say Singapore don't take we seriously .. Besides her and jay Chou I don't recall anyone able to do a 3 night gig at SIS. Not in my memory at least.

That is considered impressive, the other is Michael Jackson who played at national stadium which is of a bigger and higher capacity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:09 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmm Katy pery performed at the F1 concert.. So I believe we do..

We have been trying to get one direction to come to Singapore, but no visit from them yet
I'm not talking about concerts, but about the music in bars, pubs or clubs.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
Quote:
Lady gaga played a 3 day concert and you say Singapore don't take we seriously .. Besides her and jay Chou I don't recall anyone able to do a 3 night gig at SIS. Not in my memory at least.

That is considered impressive, the other is Michael Jackson who played at national stadium which is of a bigger and higher capacity
Did you see Gaga? I saw her a couple of years ago and she was amazing. Can you recommend some good artists from Singapore as I always love to hear foreign music.

As for Hendrix he was a legend but he died long before I'd imagine that most people here were even born. If you're not into rock music you may not know too much about him.

Sorry just trying to take the heat out of the thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Really famous rockstars aside, do people in Singapore really party to Katy Perry's or One Direction's music?
Well I hear top 40 stuff in clubs here too, when I used to go. Singapore is a very commercialized globalised place so top 40 stuff and anything American is popular.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 AM

Ok.. There is the spelling error of Hendrick which the correct should be Hendrix,i just have to prove that i am not the only one who is not aware of Jimi Hendrix. And these are not teenagers but people between early to mid 30s. This may not prove most Singaporeans know or do not know him, but at least show that people who are not aware of him are still human beings and live on earth !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	127591

Name:	IMG_0086.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	127592

Name:	IMG_0087.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	127593

I do not deny of course when i asked some people are aware too
Attachment 127588

But really just want members here to realise that there are people who do not know who Jimi Hendrix is...

I know you deeply revenerate him etc, but doesn't mean you can demean those who are not aware of who he is, say they do not have credability etc

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-26-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
go easy on her.

jimi hendrix is a musical icon if thereever was one, and yeah western music has been huge in SG for some time, but jimi died over 40 years ago and music and and musical trends in asia have a blidingly short shelf life. most teenagers here probably dont know the names of their country's biggest stars from five years prior, let alone an american rocker from half a century ago who played psyhadelic hard blues-rock. i asked my coworkers if any of them knew jimi hendrix or elvis, and only one of them knew who elvis was.
Indeed !!!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Did you see Gaga? I saw her a couple of years ago and she was amazing. Can you recommend some good artists from Singapore as I always love to hear foreign music.

As for Hendrix he was a legend but he died long before I'd imagine that most people here were even born. If you're not into rock music you may not know too much about him.

Sorry just trying to take the heat out of the thread
Hmm there is a pretty good Singaporean female singer Tanya Chua, i can't really specify a special song that you should listen to, maybe you can search her in Youtube and randomly find some songs that may interest you.

Corrinne May is another that you may want to give a try as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGjjdDYyw0

Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I know you deeply revenerate him etc, but doesn't mean you can demean those who are not aware of who he is, say they do not have credability etc
Well, to be fair, this discussion went a bit off topic...

To get back to British/American party habits: To be honest, neither attending a Lady Gaga show, nor a One Direction concert would be a great party in my books. Maybe Austrians are the real party bloopers here? Discuss.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM

I wanna share what kind of music accompanied me through all these years, but wonder if anybody would be interested

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I wanna share what kind of music accompanied me through all these years, but wonder if anybody would be interested
Sure, go ahead. I've never been to Singapore myself, but I really want to go there in the next couple of months. I'd be interested in the bar, club and music scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World