Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
ETA: I'm 5% into the book. Thrity Umrigar is no Jhumpa Lahiri.
Thrity Umrigar? What a name. Sounds like a character in an Ayn Rand novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thrity Umrigar? What a name. Sounds like a character in an Ayn Rand novel.
The woman has no business being in the writing business.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmm will have to look for this..I enjoy these types of books
Hi Kate good to see you back here and I have both the locke books on my wait list at the library ... thanks so much you and dawn and ketchaba always give me good reccomendations on books .

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I've started reading Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.

I've read another of his books and it was excellent.

Here's the deal, though:

He writes so beautifully and I'm not sure how to express this but his writing makes me sad because it is so beautiful. That Japanese saying of "Cry for Happy" comes to mind. I have been so happy at times that I cry. That is the way Coelho's work affects me. He manages to lock onto me like radar. So, I am reading this with a rubber band around my wrist and if I feel like crying I will just snap it and it will bring me back to earth.

Oddly, that is sort of what the book is about. Everything is okay in Veronika's life. She wants to die because she dreads that all she has to look forward to is "okay" forever.

I'm not giving anything away. All this is in the preface of the book.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
I've started reading Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.

I've read another of his books and it was excellent.

Here's the deal, though:

He writes so beautifully and I'm not sure how to express this but his writing makes me sad because it is so beautiful. That Japanese saying of "Cry for Happy" comes to mind. I have been so happy at times that I cry. That is the way Coelho's work affects me. He manages to lock onto me like radar. So, I am reading this with a rubber band around my wrist and if I feel like crying I will just snap it and it will bring me back to earth.

Oddly, that is sort of what the book is about. Everything is okay in Veronika's life. She wants to die because she dreads that all she has to look forward to is "okay" forever.

I'm not giving anything away. All this is in the preface of the book.
This sounds great - thanks to Amazon's 1-click it is now next on my list after I finish "The Cutting Season"

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 AM

I stayed up all night and finished Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.

It's an unusual book and not everyone would enjoy it. It's a mix between Girl, Interrupted and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with a touch of Kahlil Gibran thrown in.

It's sad, funny, lusty in places and quite gentle but emotionally violent, too. Basically it is about how we individuals see ourselves and how filters are applied to our behavior beginning in early childhood and how these filters can often cause us to act out in later years when we realize the damage the filters have done. I have to add that I identified strongly with this story.

I really liked this book.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Quote:
I stayed up all night and finished Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.

It's an unusual book and not everyone would enjoy it. It's a mix between Girl, Interrupted and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with a touch of Kahlil Gibran thrown in.

It's sad, funny, lusty in places and quite gentle but emotionally violent, too. Basically it is about how we individuals see ourselves and how filters are applied to our behavior beginning in early childhood and how these filters can often cause us to act out in later years when we realize the damage the filters have done. I have to add that I identified strongly with this story.

I really liked this book.
This and your other post sold me! Like Pinetreelover, I 1-clicked and it's next after The Missing Shade of Blue. Usually I'm not so impulsive when it comes to spending my gift card balance but, I've never read him and figured now's the time . Oh, or should that be Thanks for the rec and comments, Ketabcha!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
This and your other post sold me! Like Pinetreelover, I 1-clicked and it's next after The Missing Shade of Blue. Usually I'm not so impulsive when it comes to spending my gift card balance but, I've never read him and figured now's the time . Oh, or should that be Thanks for the rec and comments, Ketabcha!
Toosie, is this the book that you're reading?

Missing Shade of Blue: Jennie Erdal: 9781408703755: Amazon.com: Books

How is it? I'm intrigued and might buy it... but only if you tell me that it's good.

ETA: Never mind. I bought it.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-28-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm 10% in on The Missing Shade of Blue by Jennie Erdal. I. AM. LOVING. IT.

It just confirms what I already suspected: I love those "quiet" stories, where nothing much needs to happen, it's all about the characters and real life.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm 10% in on The Missing Shade of Blue by Jennie Erdal. I. AM. LOVING. IT.

It just confirms what I already suspected: I love those "quiet" stories, where nothing much needs to happen, it's all about the characters and real life.
I wonder if you'd like Diane Schoemperlen? She writes like I think. And Joan Barfoot writes quiet kind of books where it is about the characters. I am thinking of Abra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books