Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
You are right, Dawn---184 ahead of me! Don't often read mysteries/suspense, but this does sound good, so I am now 185 on the list...
60 ahead of me and so far only one e-book from one of my libraries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 01:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I'm on book four of the Mitford series by Jan Karon. Very light, but enjoyable reading.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am reading City of Thieves by David Benioff. So far I am really enjoying it.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am currently reading Die Again by Tess Gerritsen and Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success by Steve Harvey. I also put myself on the library hold list for Glitter and Glue. Sounds good.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I also put myself on the library hold list for Glitter and Glue. Sounds good.
I almost finished Glitter and Glue last night. I was crying like a baby and couldn't see through my tears to read the last 20 or so pages. I'll finish it tonight so that I'm *ready* to start The Girl on the Train.

By the way, read The Middle Place by the same author first. It's not a series or anything, but you'll get a better handle on her parents -- particularly her father -- from The Middle Place and you'll connect (and like) Glitter and Glue all the more for it.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I almost finished Glitter and Glue last night. I was crying like a baby and couldn't see through my tears to read the last 20 or so pages. I'll finish it tonight so that I'm *ready* to start The Girl on the Train.

By the way, read The Middle Place by the same author first. It's not a series or anything, but you'll get a better handle on her parents -- particularly her father -- from The Middle Place and you'll connect (and like) Glitter and Glue all the more for it.
I am excited to read it now and I will now go look for The Middle Place per your orders.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Jazzy, Glitter and Glue -- which is really very good -- is the one that I'm reading while I'm biding my time until the one that I'm really waiting for is finally released on Tuesday. That one I'm pretty sure will have a waiting list at your library -- it's called The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Kindle edition by Paula Hawkins. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I await your review

Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am giving up on Karl Ove Knausgaard's "A Time for Everything". I got about a quarter of the way through, and quit, and read something else. Then went back to Knausgaard, and skipped around, and still wasn't interested. He tells a great story about the lives of people, vivid and descriptive, but way, way too much philosphizing in between. I liked "My Struggle" a lot, but there, too, I just learned to skp the parts where he rambled through philosophical thoughts. "Everything" is much worse, at least half the text of blocks of many pages of philosophizing. Knausgaard's writing brings Robert Persig to mind, for those of you who read Zen/Motorcycle Maintenance.
Well, A Time for Everything is billed as a novel of ideas so the philosophizing doesn't surprise me. I thought the sample gave a hint of that. After reading the sample, I went and reread the Amazon description and I kind of figured that it would be that kind of book. But I might give it a whirl anyway.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am excited to read it now and I will now go look for The Middle Place per your orders.
Hahahaha! My orders... hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I await your review
Kate, I have such high hopes for this one, you just know that it's going to come crashing down on me. I ordered it before there was even a sample to read. Now there's a sample, but I refuse to read it. I don't want to make things worse. I'll let you know once I've started it.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Jazzy, Glitter and Glue -- which is really very good -- is the one that I'm reading while I'm biding my time until the one that I'm really waiting for is finally released on Tuesday. That one I'm pretty sure will have a waiting list at your library -- it's called The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Kindle edition by Paula Hawkins. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
How come you're so excited about a debut novel, or so I think I read? How do you know it's any good? I think you said you were excited about it before reading the sample, so I'm just curious.

I started in The Descent by Tim Johnson. I came across it via your link to Girl On a Train. It's literary writing, very beautiful in places but after my first initial burst of enthusiasm, I have lost interest. It is probably me. I think there is no cure for what ails me but to reread The Secret History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books