Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2021, 01:52 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"God as Jesus"?
Modalism?
Keep ignoring the substance of my posts and looking for some bogey man to associate my views with. For a Christian, Jesus IS God in the flesh. He forgave us because we know not what we do. That seems like pretty Good News to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 03:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Keep ignoring the substance of my posts and looking for some bogey man to associate my views with. For a Christian, Jesus IS God in the flesh. He forgave us because we know not what we do. That seems like pretty Good News to me.
I just asked a question. We're both well-aware that I object to the "substance" of your posts. You call me a primitive barbarian, I say you're a victim of a catfishing spirit.

But I was curious if you're a modalist, on top of a gnostic.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I just asked a question. We're both well-aware that I object to the "substance" of your posts. You call me a primitive barbarian, I say you're a victim of a catfishing spirit.
But I was curious if you're a modalist, on top of a gnostic.
Stop lying about me. I never called you a primitive barbarian. Is your lying congenital? I am a Christian, whatever other label you want to assign to me is up to you and your need to be able to ignore my views.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:12 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Your reliance on the translation of man is your downfall here JBF, we have tried to show you many times that aion and its adjective aionios do not mean eternal, they speak of an unknown duration, whether long or short only God knows.
Not only my reliance on the translation of man. Logic.

Because if, in Matthew 25:46, the punishment is merely age-during, and not everlasting, as we find it in the English, then in John 3:16, the life being spoken of is not everlasting but only age-during.

That means that for those who believe in Jesus, life will come to an end (be snuffed out).

Do an experiment. Hold your breath for five minutes without breathing at all. You will discover what it is to be in the process of being snuffed out. Ask yourself what it might feel like to be totally snuffed out. This is the fate of believers everywhere if the punishment is not everlasting but only age-during. It is the same Greek word in John 3:16 and so we can only have age-during life if we believe in Jesus; if we take the Universalist approach to Matthew 25:46.

Quote:
You need to look up the word NEVER in the Greek to understand what that scripture is saying.
I'll stick with the English on that, thank you very much.

Quote:
Nonsense, you take away Gods omnipresence by your doctrine.

Well actually you did say in one post that God will be present in the lake of fire, thus he too will be in torment eternally.
I said that the Holy Spirit is in hell (Psalms 139:7-8); not that He suffers there; for He is not made of flesh and therefore fire will not cause Him suffering.

Quote:
Again the torment is IN the presence of the lamb.
That is for those who take the mark and who worship the beast and his image.

Those who never worship the beast and his image, and who never take the mark, can be in the presence of the Lamb apart from said torments.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Some people will continue to confuse (a) quality of life with that of (b) eternity.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Not only my reliance on the translation of man. Logic.

Because if, in Matthew 25:46, the punishment is merely age-during, and not everlasting, as we find it in the English, then in John 3:16, the life being spoken of is not everlasting but only age-during.

That means that for those who believe in Jesus, life will come to an end (be snuffed out).

Do an experiment. Hold your breath for five minutes without breathing at all. You will discover what it is to be in the process of being snuffed out. Ask yourself what it might feel like to be totally snuffed out. This is the fate of believers everywhere if the punishment is not everlasting but only age-during. It is the same Greek word in John 3:16 and so we can only have age-during life if we believe in Jesus; if we take the Universalist approach to Matthew 25:46.
You keep saying this fantasy of yours as if it must be so. An indefinite period of time just means an indefinite period of time, that's all. That means it is ENTIRELY up to God how long any particular period of time lasts. Why do you have a problem with that? Don't you trust God? Did you think God gave up His sovereignty in scripture? Do you think He is locked into a scriptural contract that He cannot change?

Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Psalms 37:8
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.

Psalms 86:15
But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:19 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You keep saying this fantasy of yours as if it must be so. An indefinite period of time just means an indefinite period of time, that's all. That means it is ENTIRELY up to God how long any particular period of time lasts. Why do you have a problem with that? Don't you trust God? Did you think God gave up His sovereignty in scripture? Do you think He is locked into a scriptural contract that He cannot change?
Most assuredly He has promised us everlasting life in John 3:16. Everlasting being the same word in Matthew 25:46, He has promised everlasting punishment to sinners who reject Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Yes, God gave up a measure of His sovereignty in scripture; by giving free will to man.

He does have the power to intervene in the affairs of man so that even with man's inclination towards evil, every man has ample opportunity to receive Christ and be redeemed.

He has also set forth in His word what is the way of salvation and this does not change. People cannot enter in to the kingdom any other way than the way that He has prescribed (Matthew 7:13-14, John 14:6, Acts 4:10-12, Romans 10:8-13, John 1:12, Revelation 3:20).

Last edited by justbyfaith; 09-04-2021 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Most assuredly He has promised us everlasting life in John 3:16. Everlasting being the same word in Matthew 25:46, He has promised everlasting punishment to sinners who reject Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Yes, God gave up a measure of His sovereignty in scripture; by giving free will to man.

He does have the power to intervene in the affairs of man so that even with man's inclination towards evil, every man has ample opportunity to receive Christ and be redeemed.

He has also set forth in His word what is the way of salvation and this does not change. People cannot enter into the kingdom any other way than the way that He has prescribed (Matthew 7:13-14, John 14:6, Acts 4:10-12, Romans 10:8-13, John 1:12, Revelation 3:20).
Well, you tell Him that when you face Him trying to explain your promotion of the Bad News Gospel of fear of His wrath and vengeance instead of the Good News Gospel of His Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness. Perhaps you can convince Him.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Wrong! But this has already been explained to you, ignoring that fact doesn't change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity