Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2021, 05:26 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is it going to be a read-along, as I am sure most Christians have a Bible?
It ain't teaching if it's not taken in a read along to understand.

I was taught, and found it to help me, that reading along presses into the memory.

So if I ever get around to teaching what I want to teach, I expect Jerwade to have his Bible opened to the corresponding verses.

I want it pressed into your memory so you won't be asking all those questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 05:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
It ain't teaching if it's not taken in a read along to understand.

I was taught, and found it to help me, that reading along presses into the memory.

So if I ever get around to teaching what I want to teach, I expect Jerwade to have his Bible opened to the corresponding verses.

I want it pressed into your memory so you won't be asking all those questions.
I don't do - because I said, based on blind acceptance.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I don't do - because I said, based on blind acceptance.
Well now Jerwade, you could at least follow along and correct me when I'm wrong.

That's when the learning curve reaches its peak!

Old 08-02-2021, 05:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Well now Jerwade, you could at least follow along and correct me when I'm wrong.

That's when the learning curve reaches its peak!
I tried that, but your attention span makes it impossible. And you cannot paraphrase what it is saying, either. For you, it's black and white, and read all over like a news paper or ink on a page without comprehending what is being said. The Message Bible is interesting, perhaps you should try reading it?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:26 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
No, I didn’t mean to imply that you personally did just lump them all together

What happens and what I’m trying to highlight is that the Charlie/mystic dynamic is about not keeping a necessary space between different things, like the personal from the societal, the prophetic from historic, etc

There is layering in the Scriptures by design from the “beginning” and also there is a inherent misunderstanding/limitation/bias/partiality in humanity
The inherent bias and misunderstanding is the result of the very primitive interpretation of the early experiences in the fables as the actions of God who is wrathful and vengeful and punishing us for disobedience instead of training our animal ancestors to become spiritual adults. There was no "Fall of man" or original sin. It was our first lesson in discriminating between good and evil.

God was NEVER angry or punishing for ANY reason. Everything was for our training. God wants us to succeed NOT please Him by obedience. Our entire history and evolution have been toward attaining spiritual maturity in an animal species in a physical world which is neither easy nor natural.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I tried that, but your attention span makes it impossible. And you cannot paraphrase what it is saying, either. For you, it's black and white, and read all over like a news paper or ink on a page without comprehending what is being said. The Message Bible is interesting, perhaps you should try reading it?
The KJV has served me well, it was my fathers Bible, and his fathers before him, and his fathers before him, etc. I would be lost with another version, I took all my learning from the old authorized version, as did my fathers before me!

Give me the old paths, Jerwade.

Jer. 6:16

"Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein."

I've asked many times for the old paths in all my ways, not gonna change it!

Old 08-02-2021, 07:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
What I have noticed in this forum is that a lot of the threads divulge into lots of nasty bickering and arguing. In the Judism forum, it seems very cordial and friendly. Same with the Islam forum.

I wonder if it's because of all the different denominations. There also lots of proselytizing and pages of Bible text instead of just communicating, which leads to more bickering. Catholic Answers used to have a huge selection of forums, but even with so many forums, they stayed mostly cordial.

Again, maybe it's because of so many different thoughts and perspectives from all of the different Christian denominations that leads to all of the bickering on this forum.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:16 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What I have noticed in this forum is that a lot of the threads divulge into lots of nasty bickering and arguing. In the Judism forum, it seems very cordial and friendly. Same with the Islam forum.

I wonder if it's because of all the different denominations. There also lots of proselytizing and pages of Bible text instead of just communicating, which leads to more bickering. Catholic Answers used to have a huge selection of forums, but even with so many forums, they stayed mostly cordial.

Again, maybe it's because of so many different thoughts and perspectives from all of the different Christian denominations that leads to all of the bickering on this forum.
That is exactly it in my opinion

They each have their thoughts and views which they defend and also feel obliged to call out/attack other/different views/thoughts that do not align with what they have “received”

It is the old orthodox/heresy tug of war that has been there over the past 2000, it is not a new thing, but it is not restrained since the Protestant Revolution

Old 08-02-2021, 07:35 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
I would be nothing, I haven't the mentality for it! The Lord never called me to preach but to teach.

As far as your perverted gospel, Mystic, I can only say I pray you find the truth before it's too late!
Charlie, one thing I don't understand about the guys on here who say there is no eternal damnation/torment, and perhaps you might have an idea--why is it they are so concerned about people understanding this? And why do they have such beef with us who do believe in what God revealed to us in his word and what Jesus preached on over and over again in his earthly ministry? If God will forgive everyone anyway, then just let everyone alone to enjoy life in the way that they think they will find happiness. In the end, they will at last find it eternally in heaven. Why is it such a huge wrench in their system when we talk about what is clearly revealed in the Bible? So what if we're not understanding it correctly?? It's ultimately not going to cause any harm, to follow their argument to its logical end.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:40 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
The KJV has served me well, it was my fathers Bible, and his fathers before him, and his fathers before him, etc. I would be lost with another version, I took all my learning from the old authorized version, as did my fathers before me!

Give me the old paths, Jerwade.

Jer. 6:16

"Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein."

I've asked many times for the old paths in all my ways, not gonna change it!
You cannot go wrong walking the old path, Charlie. Your error is in thinking you know WHY we need to walk the path of righteousness. You think it is to avoid eternal punishment from a wrathful God. I know it is to please a loving God by our success instead of an unpleasant failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity