Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times

Advertisements

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Actually, what the Bible teaches is that lack of fear of God is a sign of unbelief.

I agree I cannot know the condition of a person's heart. But if I am speaking to someone who is a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddist, or an atheist, by their outward statement, we know they are guilty of idolatry, without faith in Jesus, and condemned. So in love, we tell them of Jesus, who is the True God, and alone the only one who can save them from eternal condemnation.

Last edited by augiedogie; 09-04-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 08:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The point is that at that time there was a setting up, and development in progress of particular types of religion And religious practices, which was based on what was recorded in the Hebrew Scripture, and their current writings that were available to them, from the Romans and Greeks......the gospels, and epistles have their own place, and that had nothing to do with any individuals that were not part of those systems

And we have the same situation now, at the latter end of the 2000 years (2 days) which was appointed at the beginning/Genesis- the 7 Days of creation
Sorry. Still not following. What exactly was your point?

Old 09-04-2021, 12:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Actually, what the Bible teaches is that lack of fear of God is a sign of unbelief.

I agree I cannot know the condition of a person's heart. But if I am speaking to someone who is a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddist, or an atheist, by their outward statement, we know they are guilty of idolatry, without faith in Jesus, and condemned. So in love, we tell them of Jesus, who is the True God, and alone the only one who can save them from eternal condemnation.
Yet, you were not born with a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and that of a sound mind.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:35 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Meerkat's posts actually require some thinking about them, BF, something you seem not to be accustomed to doing.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Meerkat's posts actually require some thinking about them, BF, something you seem not to be accustomed to doing.
More of that agape love you always boast about?

Good grief, that's arrogant.

I'm reminded of the Jewish-Gnostics that Titus had to deal with. After SOUNDLY rebuking them and exposing them as false teachers, Paul described them in Titus 1:16 "They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work."

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 09-04-2021 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 01:01 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
I’ll just leave it there BF, I’m not really concerned if you don’t get my point

Old 09-04-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I’ll just leave it there BF, I’m not really concerned if you don’t get my point
You quoted me. I'm guessing you completely missed the point of why I did.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:10 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
You quoted me. I'm guessing you completely missed the point of why I did.
Maybe

Old 09-04-2021, 02:04 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
More of that agape love you always boast about?
Good grief, that's arrogant.
I'm reminded of the Jewish-Gnostics that Titus had to deal with. After SOUNDLY rebuking them and exposing them as false teachers, Paul described them in Titus 1:16 "They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work."
Well, I'm reminded about something concerning pearls and swine, and I was going to point that out to Meerkat, but I think she gets it.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:49 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It seems fair enough to say that calling a Christian a heretic is a very bad thing for a Christian to do, and, as for City-Data, would probably be looked at as a "personal attack."
I suppose that the person in question can be identified as a Christian under the broad definition of these boards by which we define who is a Christian; that a Christian is someone who says to Jesus, "Lord, Lord".

But I would contend that not everyone who is defined as a Christian necessarily has a right to the kingdom of heaven.

That right is secured by the fact of believing in Jesus and what He did for us on the Cross. This is how I would define a believer under the narrower terms of my own specification. I believe that salvation is obtained only through faith in Jesus and what He did for us on the Cross, in dying as a propitiatory sacrifice by which He took our place on Calvary and took the penalty of God's just requirement that our sins be punished. He died in our place (1 Corinthians 15:1-4); and this is the only way to salvation; to believe in Jesus and what He did for you, and to keep in memory what He did for you on the Cross (again, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity