Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2021, 03:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Agreed. Still, it is an act of love to share the gospel, pointing out the condition of man with and without Christ.
I agree that Jesus Christ told His disciples to share His gospel. Heck, I belong to a church that is well known sending out missionaries to do just that. But sharing the good news and having the audacity to tell someone they're destined to eternal torment are two very different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 03:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's not loving to assume that you are in a position to be able to say that someone else is "on their way to eternal damnation." That is, quite simply, above your pay grade.
I wonder what you'd have thought of Paul if you were in the church in Galatia.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'd have probably got something different out of his message than you would, but I'm quite sure I'd have believed He was an Apostle of God.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:32 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
The Galatians of Galatia were called to freedom but were being instructed not to use their own freedom “in Christ” for the pursuits of the “flesh” or “mammon” “riches” that the Romans were appointed to in their part of the “administration” appointed by God

Gal 1:1**Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead
Gal 1:2**And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:
Gal 1:3**Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
Gal 1:4**Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
Gal 1:5**To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Gal 5:1**Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2**Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3**For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4**Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Gal 5:5**For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Gal 5:6**For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'd have probably got something different out of his message than you would, but I'm quite sure I'd have believed He was an Apostle of God.
The only people who could read and write were the educated who were also religious and philosophical and we only have their very biased view of what was happening around that time

and yep we would have believed what our elders/teachers were telling us

Old 09-03-2021, 03:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The Galatians of Galatia were called to freedom but were being instructed not to use their own freedom “in Christ” for the pursuits of the “flesh” or “mammon” “riches” that the Romans were appointed to in their part of the “administration” appointed by God

Gal 1:1**Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead
Gal 1:2**And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:
Gal 1:3**Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
Gal 1:4**Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
Gal 1:5**To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Gal 5:1**Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2**Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3**For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4**Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Gal 5:5**For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Gal 5:6**For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
What's your point?

Old 09-03-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
What's your point?
The point is that at that time there was a setting up, and development in progress of particular types of religion And religious practices, which was based on what was recorded in the Hebrew Scripture, and their current writings that were available to them, from the Romans and Greeks......the gospels, and epistles have their own place, and that had nothing to do with any individuals that were not part of those systems

And we have the same situation now, at the latter end of the 2000 years (2 days) which was appointed at the beginning/Genesis- the 7 Days of creation

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-03-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 09-03-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
And we have the same situation now, at the latter end of the 2000 years (2 days) which was appointed at the beginning/Genesis- the 7 Days of creation
I guess this question is kind of off-topic, Meerkat, but if you could give me a quick answer, I'd appreciate it. This statement of yours leads me to believe that you are a young earth creationist and believe in a literal 6-day creation with a literal 1 day of rest. This kind of surprises me. Am I right in my assumption or not?

Old 09-03-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I guess this question is kind of off-topic, Meerkat, but if you could give me a quick answer, I'd appreciate it. This statement of yours leads me to believe that you are a young earth creationist and believe in a literal 6-day creation with a literal 1 day of rest. This kind of surprises me. Am I right in my assumption or not?
No, I definitely believe in evolution and an old literal earth

But In my opinion the Scriptures are not speaking of the literal earth, it is about the rulership of the earth by “humanity” “humans” “man” generally .... and has a lot of symbolism relating to that...... and we need to go back and resurrect and co-ordinate information from the old writings ie, Plato, Strabo, Pliny, Strabo, Cicero, the church Fathers, etc

Rev 20:12**And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I believe this is referring to actual “books” that are to be understood and compared with regard to the meanings

It’s not about any individual people/person being judged

Old 09-03-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
No, I definitely believe in evolution and an old literal earth

But In my opinion the Scriptures are not speaking of the literal earth, it is about the rulership of the earth by “humanity” “humans” “man” generally .... and has a lot of symbolism relating to that...... and we need to go back and resurrect and co-ordinate information from the old writings ie, Plato, Strabo, Pliny, Strabo, Cicero, the church Fathers, etc

Rev 20:12**And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I believe this is referring to actual “books” that are to be understood and compared with regard to the meanings

It’s not about any individual people/person being judged
Gotcha. That makes a lot more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity