Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Knowing God as revealed by Jesus on the Cross, you should be worried about who actually chose you to believe what you do because I seriously doubt it was God.
I'm not the one that believed a feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 01:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,318,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Werent the Apostles the ones who constantly needed proof from Jesus, that he was who he claimed to be?! (and Jesus normally complied and did something miraculous for them)...

If this was the apostles, why should we be any different today?
If you have read the scripture you would know Jesus promised them the Holy Spirit would come and bring to their memory all the things He had said.

The same Holy Spirit that confirmed the Saviour in their hearts is the same Holy Spirit that confirms it in us!

They didn't have all the resources that we have today concerning Christ, but when the Spirit came and did what Jesus said He would do, then we see the faithfulness and determination of the Apostles.

They never again faltered in their faith! We have that same Holy Spirit confirming the same in us if we will only believe Him as they did!

Old 09-07-2021, 02:09 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It is a blessing. It means that we don't have to worry about performance. There is nothing special about me or my life that made God choose me. I have no idea why he chose me, but I'm glad he did.
Could you explain, please, how you know He did, especially since you are one who wouldn't believe a feeling? What happened so that you knew you'd been chosen?

Old 09-07-2021, 03:02 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
If you have read the scripture you would know Jesus promised them the Holy Spirit would come and bring to their memory all the things He had said.

The same Holy Spirit that confirmed the Saviour in their hearts is the same Holy Spirit that confirms it in us!

They didn't have all the resources that we have today concerning Christ, but when the Spirit came and did what Jesus said He would do, then we see the faithfulness and determination of the Apostles.

They never again faltered in their faith! We have that same Holy Spirit confirming the same in us if we will only believe Him as they did!
Sorry, Charlie, but whatever wrathful and vengeful spirit has confirmed you in your beliefs, it is definitely NOT God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness as revealed by Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Could you explain, please, how you know He did, especially since you are one who wouldn't believe a feeling? What happened so that you knew you'd been chosen?
I'm a believer. It means that I was chosen to be. I've been a believer for close to 30 years.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I'm a believer. It means that I was chosen to be. I've been a believer for close to 30 years.
So, if you're a believer, that means you were chosen? I've been a believer for close to 70 years!

Old 09-07-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So, if you're a believer, that means you were chosen? I've been a believer for close to 70 years!
ok.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:35 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Quote:
ok.
But to BapFun, you believe the wrong "precepts and doctrines of men" not the correct ones that he believes!

Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But to BapFun, you believe the wrong "precepts and doctrines of men" not the correct ones that he believes!
And according to you, none of us believe the right things.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
ok.
Why the eye roll? You don't believe me? That reaction makes me think of one of my earliest memories.

One Sunday afternoon (ca 1954) when I was a child of about six years old, growing up in an LDS family in Salt Lake City, the little 7-year-old neighbor boy came over to where I was sitting on our porch. “I just got home from church,” he said, and then proudly added, “I’m a Christian!”

“Oh,” I answered, “so am I.”

“No, you’re not,” he corrected me. “You’re a Mormon.”

This kid was seven years old, and yet he was already convinced that I wasn’t a Christian. Obviously, he didn’t come to that conclusion on his own. At the ages of six and seven, obviously neither of us were equipped to engage in a doctrinal discussion as to who is and who is not a Christian, but I knew he was wrong, and I was bothered by the fact that he would tell me that I wasn't something I knew in my six-year-old heart that I was. I knew I believed in Jesus Christ and I knew that people who believed in Jesus Christ were called "Christians." I also knew, even at that age, that there were a number of different kinds of Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity